Summer rain fall duration and its diurnal cycle over the US Great Plains
Article first published online: 4 DEC 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 10, pages 1515–1519, August 2009
How to Cite
Chen, H., Zhou, T., Yu, R. and Li, J. (2009), Summer rain fall duration and its diurnal cycle over the US Great Plains. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1515–1519. doi: 10.1002/joc.1806
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 4 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 16 SEP 2008
- Manuscript Received: 1 JAN 2008
- National Natural Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 40523001, 40625014
- 1968. Climatology of the low-level jet. Monthly Weather Review 96: 833–850. .
- 2002. Inferences of predictability associated with warm season precipitation episodes. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 59: 2033–2056. , , , .
- 2001. Global precipitation and thunderstorm frequencies. Part II: Diurnal variations. Journal of Climate 14: 1112–1128. .
- 1999. Observed and model simulated diurnal cycles of precipitation over the contiguous United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 6377–6402. , , .
- 2007. The frequency, intensity, and diurnal cycle of precipitation in surface and satellite observations over low- and mid-latitudes. Climate Dynamics 29: 727–744. , , .
- 1999. Diurnal and semidiurnal tides in global surface pressure fields. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 56(22): 3874–3891. , .
- 1997. Data set documentation for Hourly Precipitation Data, NOAA/NCDC TD3240 Documentation Series, Asheville, NC, 18. , .
- 1997. Influence of the Great Plains low-level jet on the summertime precipitation and moisture transport over the central United States. Journal of Climate 10: 481–507. , , , , .
- 2006. Role of eastward propagating convection systems in the diurnal cycle and seasonal mean of summertime rainfall over the U.S. Great Plains. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L19809, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL027022. , , .
- 2004. Regional climate model simulation of summer precipitation diurnal cycle over the United States. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L24208, DOI: 10.1029/2004GL021054. , , , .
- 1980. Mesoscale convective complexes. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 61: 1374–1387. .
- 1989. The precipitation life cycle of mesoscale convective complexes over the central United States. Monthly Weather Review 117: 784–808. , .
- 2003. The diurnal cycle of rainfall and convective intensity according to three years of TRMM measurements. Journal of Climate 16: 1456–1475. , .
- 1987. The Diurnal Variability of Precipitation across the Central Rockies and Adjacent Great Plains. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1161–1172. , , .
- 2005. Diurnal cycle of summertime deep convection over North America: A satellite perspective. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D08108, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD005275. , , , .
- 1975. Diurnal variations in precipitation and thunderstorm frequency over the conterminous United States. Monthly Weather Review 103: 406–419. .
- 2007b. Relation between rainfall duration and diurnal variation in the warm season precipitation over central eastern China. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L13703, DOI:10.1029/2007GL030315. , , , .
- 2007a. Diurnal variations of summer precipitation over contiguous China. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L01704, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL028129. , , , , .
- 2008. Summer precipitation frequency, intensity, and diurnal cycle over China: A comparison of satellite data with raingauge observations. Journal of Climate 21: 3997–4010. , , , , .