Interannual relations between South American rainfall and tropical sea surface temperature anomalies before and after 1976
Article first published online: 26 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 10, pages 1439–1448, August 2009
How to Cite
Kayano, M. T., de Oliveira, C. P. and Andreoli, R. V. (2009), Interannual relations between South American rainfall and tropical sea surface temperature anomalies before and after 1976. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1439–1448. doi: 10.1002/joc.1824
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 26 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 29 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2008
- Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico of Brazil
- Coordenaçäo de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior of Brazil
- 1988. On the functioning of the Southern Oscillation in the South American Sector. Part 1: surface climate. Monthly Weather Review 116: 505–524. .
- 2004. Multi-scale variability of the sea surface temperature in the Tropical Atlantic. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: C05009, DOI: 10.1029/2003JC002220. , .
- 2005. ENSO-related rainfall anomalies in South America and associated circulation features during warm and cold Pacific decadal oscillation regimes. International Journal of Climatology 25: 2071–2030. , .
- 2006. Tropical Pacific and South Atlantic effects on rainfall variability over northeastern Brazil. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1895–1912. , .
- 2002. The relation between sea surface temperature at the subtropical south-central Pacific and precipitation in southeastern South America. Journal of Climate 15: 251–267. , .
- 1933. A test of the significance of the difference of the correlation coefficients in normal bivariate samples. Biometrika 25(1–2): 102–109. .
- 2004. The South Atlantic convergence zone: intensity, form, persistence, and relationships with intraseasonal to interannual activity and extreme rainfall. Journal of Climate 17: 88–108. , , .
- 2003. Seasonal dependence of ENSO teleconnections over South America and relationships with precipitation in Uruguay. Journal of Climate 16: 1159–1176. , , .
- 2002. Global land precipitation: a 50-yr monthly analysis based on gauge observations. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 249–266. , , , .
- 1995. Forcing of anomalous sea surface temperature evolution in the tropical Atlantic during Pacific warm events. Journal of Geophysical Research 100: 15,835–15,847. , .
- 1996. Upper-ocean variations in the North Pacific during 1970–1991. Journal of Climate 9: 1840–1855. , , .
- 1998. Relationships between precipitation anomalies in Uruguay and southern Brazil and sea surface temperature in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. Journal of Climate 11: 251–271. , , .
- 2000. Interannual to decadal variability in the Tropical Atlantic. Journal of Climate 13: 777–792. , .
- 1997. Tropical Atlantic sea surface temperature variability and its relation to El Niño-Southern Oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 929–945. , .
- 1999. How ubiquitous is the dipole relationship in Tropical Atlantic sea surface temperatures. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 7841–7848. , , , .
- 1925. Statistical Methods for Research Workers. Oliver and Boyd: Edinburgh; 239. .
- 2001. The ENSO teleconnection to the Tropical Atlantic Ocean: contributions of the remote and local SSTs to rainfall variability in the Tropical Americas. Journal of Climate 14: 4530–4544. , , , , .
- 2000. Interannual variability of Caribbean rainfall, ENSO, and the Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Climate 13: 297–311. , , .
- 2004. The preconditioning role of Tropical Atlantic variability in the development of the ENSO teleconnection: implications for the prediction of Nordeste rainfall. Climate Dynamics 22: 839–855, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-004-0420-2. , , .
- 2000. Climate variability in southern South America associated with El Niño and La Niña events. Journal of Climate 13: 35–58. , , .
- 1998. Precipitation anomalies in southern Brazil associated with El Niño and La Niña events. Journal of Climate 11: 2863–2880. , , .
- 1978. On modes of tropical circulation and climate anomalies. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 35: 2222–2231. .
- 1990. Prediction of Northeast Brazil rainfall anomalies. Journal of Climate 3: 893–904. .
- 1993. Circulation mechanisms related to Northeast Brazil rainfall anomalies. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 5093–5102. , .
- 1977. Dynamics of climatic hazards in northeast Brazil. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 103: 77–92. , .
- 1992. Characteristics of low-frequency sea surface temperature fluctuations in the Tropical Atlantic. Journal of Climate 5: 765–771. , .
- 2006. Relationships between rainfall anomalies over northeastern Brazil and the El Niño-Southern Oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D13102, DOI:10.1029/2005JD006142. , .
- 2007. Relations of South American summer rainfall interannual variations with the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. International Journal of Climatology 27: 531–540. , .
- 1988. Tropical circulations and the associated rainfall anomalies during two contrasting years. Journal of Climatology 8: 477–488. , , .
- 1989. Global climatic anomalies associated with extremes in the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 1069–1090. , .
- 1999. Remote sea surface variation during ENSO: evidence for a tropical atmospheric bridge. Journal of Climate 12: 917–932. , , .
- 1984. A review of the Southern Oscillation: oceanic-atmospheric circulation changes and related rainfall anomalies. Tellus 36A: 490–504. , , .
- 1989. Extremes in the Southern Oscillation and their relationship to precipitation anomalies with emphasis on the South American region. Revista Brasileira de Meteorologia 4: 351–363. , .
- 1997. On the rigin of the Bolivian high and related circulation features of the South American climate. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 54: 656–677. , .
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 1977. Sea surface temperature related to rain in Ceará, Northeastern Brazil. Nature 265: 320–323. , .
- 1998. Variability of the Tropical Ocean surface temperatures at decadal-multidecadal timescales. Part I: the Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Climate 11: 2351–2375. .
- 1994. The 1976–1977 climate shift of the Pacific Ocean. Journal of Oceanography 7: 21–26. , , , , .
- 2001. The Pacific-South American modes and their downstream effects. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1211–1229. , .
- 2000. Seasonal diagnostic and predictability of rainfall in subtropical south America based in tropical Pacific SST. Journal of Climate 13: 746–758. , , .
- 1981. On the dynamics of droughts in northeast Brazil: observations, theory and numerical experiments with a general circulation model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 38: 2653–2675. , .
- 1996. Variations of sea surface temperature, wind stress and rainfall over the Tropical Atlantic and South America. Journal of Climate 9: 2464–2479. , .
- 2002. Progress in Pan American CLIVAR research: understanding the South American Monsoon. Meteorologica 27: 3–30. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1968. Some Applications of Statistics to Meteorology. Pennsylvania State University: Pennsylvania; 224. , .
- 1994. El Niño-Southern Oscillation impact on rainfall in Uruguay. Journal of Climate 7: 1286–1302. , , , .
- 1998. Observed decadal midlatitude and Tropical Atlantic climate variability. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 3967–3970. , , .
- 1990. Characteristics of rainfall over Brazil: annual and variations and connections with the Southern Oscillation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 42: 81–91. , .
- 1982. Variations in tropical sea surface temperature and surface wind fields associated with the Southern Oscillation/El Niño. Monthly Weather Review 110: 354–384. , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1989. Precipitation patterns associated with the high index phase of the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 268–284. , .
- 2001. Wind-driven shifts in the latitude of the Kuroshio-Oyashio extention and generation of SST anomalies on decadal timescales. Journal of Climate 14: 4249–4265. , , , , .
- 2000. The relationship between the simulated climatic variability modes of the Tropical Atlantic. International Journal of Climatology 20: 939–953. , , , .
- 2004. Improved extended reconstruction of SST (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 17: 2466–2477. , .
- 2000. On the influences of the El Niño, La Niña and Atlantic dipole pattern on the Amazonian rainfall during 1960–1998. Acta Amazonica 30: 305–318. , , , , , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 1990. Recent observed interdecadal climate changes in the Northern Hemisphere. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 71: 988–993. .
- 1994. Decadal atmosphere-ocean variations in the Pacific. Climate Dynamics 9: 303–319. , .
- 1996. Evidence for interannual and interdecadal climate variability in the South Atlantic. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 2673–2676. , , .
- 1997. Atmosphere-ocean coupled variability in the South Atlantic. Journal of Climate 10: 2904–2920. , , .
- 1981. A preliminary study of summer time tropospheric circulation patterns over South America estimated from cloud winds. Monthly Weather Review 109: 599–610. .
- 1977. Empirical orthogonal analysis of Atlantic Ocean surface temperatures. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 103: 467–478. .
- 2001. Principal modes of interannual and decadal variability of summer rainfall over South America. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1623–1644. , .