This article was published online on 26 November 2008. An error was subsequently identified. This notice is included in both print and online versions to indicate that both have been corrected, 18 December 2008.
How do we tell which estimates of past climate change are correct?†
Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2008
Copyright © 2008 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 10, pages 1520–1523, August 2009
How to Cite
Sherwood, S. C., Titchner, H. A., Thorne, P. W. and McCarthy, M. P. (2009), How do we tell which estimates of past climate change are correct?. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1520–1523. doi: 10.1002/joc.1825
- Issue online: 20 JUL 2009
- Version of Record online: 26 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 28 OCT 2008
- Manuscript Received: 10 MAR 2008
- Hadley Centre
- Joint Defra and MoD Programme. Grant Numbers: GA01101, CBC/2B/0417
- CCSP. 2006. Temperature Trends in the Lower Atmosphere: Steps for Understanding and Reconciling Differences, A Report by the U.S. Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, KarlTR, HassolS, MillerC, MurrayW. (eds). National Climatic Data Center: Asheville; 164.
- 2006. Satellite and VIZ-radiosonde intercomparisons for diagnosis of nonclimatic influences. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 23: 1181–1194. , .
- 1996. Results from the GPCP algorithm intercomparison programme. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 2875–2887. , , , , , .
- 1988. Comparative-evaluation of weather forecasting systems–sufficiency, quality, and accuracy. Monthly Weather Review 116: 1757–1770. , .
- 2007. Homogenization of radiosonde temperature time series using innovation statistics. Journal of Climate 20: 1377–1403. .
- 2003. Temporal homogenization of monthly radiosonde temperature data. Part II: Trends, sensitivities, and MSU comparison. Journal of Climate 16: 241–262. , , .
- 2002. Climate reconstruction using ‘pseudoproxies’. Geophysical Research Letters 29:Art. No. 1501. DOI: 10.1029/2001GL014554. , .
- 2005. Testing the fidelity of methods used in proxy-based reconstructions of past climate. Journal of Climate 18: 4097–4107. , , , .
- 2008. Assessing bias and uncertainty in the HadAT adjusted radiosonde climate record. Journal of Climate 21: 817–832. , , , , , .
- NRC. 2006. Surface Temperature Reconstructions for the Last 2,000 Years, Technical report. National Academies: Washington, DC.
- 2000. The impact of new physical parameterizations in the Hadley Centre climate model: HadAM3. Climate Dynamics 16: 123–146. , , , .
- 2005a. Uncertainties in climate trends–Lessons from upper-air temperature records. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 1437. , , , .
- 2005b. Revisiting radiosonde upper-air temperatures from 1958–2002. Journal of Geophysical Research 110(D18): 105. , , , , , , .
- Critically reassessing tropospheric temperature trends from radiosondes using realistic validation experiments. Journal of Climate In Press. , , , , , .
- 2004. Reconstructing past climate from noisy data. Science 306: 679–682. , , , , , .