Hourly and daily clearness index and diffuse fraction at a tropical station, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 29, Issue 8, pages 1035–1047, 30 June 2009
How to Cite
Okogbue, E. C., Adedokun, J. A. and Holmgren, B. (2009), Hourly and daily clearness index and diffuse fraction at a tropical station, Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1035–1047. doi: 10.1002/joc.1849
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 26 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2007
- International Program in the Physical Sciences (IPPS), Sweden
- 1989. Pronounced haze spell over Nigeria, 2nd–11th March 1977. In Proceedings of the Pre-WAMEX Symposium on the West African Monsoon, AdefolaluDO (ed.). Leo Express Printers: Lagos; 270–300. .
- 1978. West African Precipitation and dominant atmospheric mechanisms. Archives for Meteorology Geophysics and Bioclimatology A, 27: 289–310. .
- 1994. Measurement of Solar and Longwave Radiation Fluxes over Ile-Ife, Nigeria. In American Institute of Physics (AIP) Conference Proceedings, HauboldHJ, OnuoraLI (eds). New York AIP Press No. 320: New York; 179–190. , , , .
- 1989. Physical, mineralogical and chemical properties of Harmattan dust at Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 40: 161–169. , , .
- 1966. The three dimensional structure of Inter-Tropical Discontinuity Over Nigeria. Nigeria Meteorological Services Technical Note. No.39, Lagos, Nigeria, 9. .
- 1991. Pyheliometric Determination of Atmospheric Turbidity in Harmattan season over Ile-Ife. Renewable Energy 1(14): 555–566. , .
- 1995. Spectral solar irradiance under harmattan conditions. Renewable Energy 6(8): 989–996. , , .
- 1997. Spectral solar radiation measurement and turbidity: Comparative studies within a tropical and a sub-Arctic environment. Solar Energy 60(1): 17–24. , , .
- 2002. Specttroradiometric investigations of atmospheric turbidity parameters. Journal of African Meteorological Society 5(1): 15–29. , , .
- 2003. Monthly Average Daily Solar Radiation and Clearness Index Contour Maps Over Oman Energy Conversion and Management 44: 691–705. , , .
- 2005. Some solar radiation ratios and their interpretations with regards to radiation transfer in the atmosphere. Nigeria Journal of Pure and Applied Physics 4: 41–45. .
- 2000. Variation Characteristics of diffuse solar radiation at a tropical station (Ilorin, Nigeria). Nigerian Journal of Physics 12: 20–24. , .
- 1981. Convective Activity over Nigeria during the Monsoon season. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Early Results of FGGE and Large-scale Aspects of its Monsoon Experiment, Tallahassee, Florida, January 12-17, 8, 22–27. .
- 1983. Empirical Relations for the determination of solar radiation in Ibadan, Nigeria. Solar Energy 31(1): 85–94. .
- 1981. Statistical behaviour of solar radiation over consecutive days. Solar Energy 27: 149–157. , .
- 1994. A new correlation between clearness index and relative sunshine. Renewable Energy 4(4): 417–423. .
- 1993. Estimating global solar radiation from common meteorological observations in western Canada. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 73: 509–518. , .
- 1997. Simple scaling of photosynthesis from leaves to canopies without the errors of big-leaf models. Plant Cell and Environment 20: 537–557. , .
- 1991. Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes. John Wiley and Sons: New York. , .
- 1953. On the physics of dust atmosphere. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 79: 284–287. .
- GriffithsJF (ed.). 1974. Climate of Africa. In World Survey of Climatology, Vol. 10, LandsbergHE (ed.). Elsevier Publishing Company: Amsterdam; 167–187.
- 1999. Stochastic daily solar irradiance for biological modeling applications. Agricultural Meteorology 94: 53–63. .
- 1984. Study of diffuse and global radiation characteristics in India. Energy Conversion and Management 24: 143. , .
- 1992. Estimation of solar radiation data missing from long-term meteorological records. Agronomy Journal 88: 739–742. , .
- 1989. Sky conditions at Ibadan during 1975–1980. Solar Energy 43(6): 325–330. , .
- 1983. An Introduction to Solar Radiation. Academic Press: New York; 59–67. .
- 1998. The diffuse fraction of global solar irradiance at a tropical location. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 61: 77–84. , .
- 1999. On the annual and monthly mean diurnal variations of diffuse solar radiation at a meteorological station in West Africa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 69: 223–230. , .
- 2001. Performance of solar radiation models—a case study. Agricultural Meteorology 110: 1–11. , .
- 1997a. Diurnal variations of the net radiation at a tropical station—Osu, Nigeria. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 58: 161–168. .
- 1997b. Daily averages of net radiation measured at Osu, Nigeria in 1995. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1357–1367. .
- 1997c. Estimating net radiation from air temperature for diffusion modelling applications in a tropical area. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 85: 161–173. .
- 2003. A note on net radiation at Osu, Nigeria. Meteorologische Zeitschrift 12: 269–271. .
- 1978. The African dust plume: Its characteristics and propagation across West Africa in winter. In Saharan Dust—Mobilisation, Transport, Deposition, MoralesC (ed.). SCOPE 14 Publication, John Willey and Sons: New York; 95–118. .
- 1969. Radiation in the Atmosphere. Academic Press: New York; 277–280. .
- 1992. Analysis of solar radiation data for Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Solar Energy 49(2): 139–145. , .
- 1991. Atmospheric Transmission, Emission and Scattering. Pergamon Press Ltd: Oxford; 288p. .
- 2001. An analysis of climatic parameters and sky condition classification. Building and Environment 36: 435–445. , .
- 2004. Overcast sky conditions and luminance distribution in Hong Kong. Building and Environment 39: 101–108. , , .
- 1960. The interrelationship and characteristic distribution of direct, diffuse and total solar radiation. Solar Energy 4: 1–19. , .
- 2001. Estimation of solar radiation in Australia from rainfall and temperature observations. Agricultural Meteorology 106: 41–59. , .
- 1995. Predicting the components of the total hemispherical solar radiation from sunshine duration measurements in Lagos, Nigeria. Renewable Energy 6(7):807 812. , .
- 2007. Surface nergy balance measurements at a tropical site in West Africa during the transition from dry to wet season. Theoretical and Applied Climatology DOI 10.1007/s00704-006-0252-6. , , , , .
- 1995. Solar irradiance and illuminance models for Japan II: luminous efficacies. Lighting Research and Technology 27: 223–230. .
- 1998. Evaluation of the CIE overcast sky model against Japanese data. Energy and Buildings: Elsevier, Netherlands; 27: 175–177. .
- 2007. Broad-band solar irradiance and photometric illuminance at the tropical station. Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Unpublished PhD Thesis, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, 223. .
- 2002a. On the estimation of solar radiation at Ondo, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Physics 14(1): 97–104. , .
- 2002b. Characterization of sky conditions over Ile-Ife, Nigeria based on 1992–1998 Solar Radiation Observations. Meteorogische Zeitschrift, Germany 11(6): 419–423. , .
- 2002. Fourier series analysis of daily global and diffuse Irradiation for Ile-Ife, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Sciences 5(3): 3034–3045. , , .
- 2003. Improving the estimation of global solar radiation over Ondo in South Western Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Physics 15(1): 20–31. , .
- 1990. Diffuse fraction correlations. Solar Energy 45: 1–7. , , .
- 1987. On the monthly probability distribution function of daily global irradiation values appropriate for both tropical and temperate locations. Solar Energy 38: 169–177. , , .
- 1994. The Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program: Programmatic background design of the cloud and radiation test bed. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 75: 1201–1221. , .
- 1999. An improved algorithm for estimating incident daily solar radiation from measurements of temperature, humidity, and precipitation. Agricultural Meteorology 93: 211–228. , .
- 2000. Sky conditions at Ilorin as characterized by clearness index and relative sunshine. Solar Energy 69: 45–53. .
- 1999. The weather generation game: a review of stochastic weather models. Progress in Physical Geography 23: 329–357. , .