Secular and multidecadal warmings in the North Atlantic and their relationships with major hurricane activity
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 30, Issue 2, pages 174–184, February 2010
How to Cite
Enfield, D. B. and Cid-Serrano, L. (2010), Secular and multidecadal warmings in the North Atlantic and their relationships with major hurricane activity. Int. J. Climatol., 30: 174–184. doi: 10.1002/joc.1881
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 6 SEP 2007
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Grant Number: GC06-006
- 2000. Causes of global temperature changes during the 19th and 20th centuries. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 2137–2140. , .
- 1994. Time Series Analysis: Forecasting and Control, 3rd edn. Prentice Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ. , , .
- 2006. Uncertainty estimates in regional and global observed temperature changes: a new dataset from 1850. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D12106, DOI:10.1029/2005JD006548. , , , , .
- 2005. Slowing of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation at 25°N. Nature 438: 655–657. , , .
- 2007. Temporal variability of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation. Science 317: 935–937. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Interdecadal variations of the thermohaline circulation in a coupled ocean-atmosphere model. Journal of Climate 6: 1993–2011. , , .
- 2000. Observed and simulated multidecadal variability in the Northern Hemisphere. Climate Dynamics 16: 661–676. , .
- 2006. On the physics of the Atlantic multidecadal oscillation. Ocean Dynamics 56: 36–50. , , , .
- 2007. A hemispheric mechanism for the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation. Journal of Climate 20: 2706–2719. , .
- 2006. Evidence in support of the climatic cange—Atlantic hurricane hypothesis. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L16705, DOI:10.1029/2006GL026869. .
- 2005. Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclones over the past 30 years. Nature, DOI:10.1038/nature03906. .
- 2006. Projecting the risk of future climate shifts. International Journal of Climatology 26: 885–895. , .
- 1999. Multiscale variabilities in global sea surface temperatures and their relationships with tropospheric climate patterns. Journal of Climate 12: 2719–2733. , .
- 2001. The Atlantic multidecadal oscillation and its relation to rainfall and river flows in the continental U.S. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 2077–2080. , , .
- 2001. Predictability of northeast Brazil rainfall and real-time forecast skill, 1987–1998. Journal of Climate 14: 1937–1958. , , , .
- 1986. Sahel rainfall and worldwide sea temperatures, 1901–1985. Nature 320: 602–607. , , .
- 1983. Granger causality and the time series analysis of political relationships. American Journal of Political Science 27(2): 327–358. .
- 2001. The Recent increase in Atlantic hurricane activity: Causes and implications. Science 293: 474–479. , , , .
- 2004. A tree-ring based reconstruction of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation since 1567 A.D. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L12205, DOI:10.1029/2004GL019932. , , , .
- 1997. Climate trends associated with multidecadal variability of Atlantic hurricane activity. Hurricanes, Climate and Socioeconomic Impacts, 15–53. , , .
- 1998. Tropical cyclones and global climate change: A post-IPCC assessment. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 19–38. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group 1 to the Third Assessment of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 881. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of global sea surface temperatures 1856–1991. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 18,567–18,589. , , , , , .
- 2000. A North Atlantic climate pacemaker for the centuries. Science 288: 1984–1986. .
- 2006. Trends in global tropical cyclone activity over the past twenty years (1986–2005). Geophysical Research Letters, DOI:10.1029/2006GL025881. .
- 2005. A signature of persistent natural thermohaline circulation cycles in observed climate. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L20708, DOI:10.1029/2005GL024233. , , , , .
- 2006. Climate impacts of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L17706, DOI:10.1029/2006GL026242. , , .
- 2004. Impact of CO2-induced warming on simulated hurricane intensity and precipitation: Sensitivity to the choice of climate model and convective parameterization. Journal of Climate 17: 3477–3495. , .
- 2007. A globally consistent reanalysis of hurricane variability and trends. Geophysical Research Letters, DOI:10.1029/2006GL028836. , , , , .
- 2004. Reconstructing, monitoring and predicting multidecadal-scale changes in the North Atlantic thermohaline circulation with sea surface temperature. Journal of Climate 17: 1605–1614. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Tropical sea surface temperature, vertical wind shear, and hurricane development. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L01710, DOI:10.1029/2006GL027969. , , .
- 2006. Atlantic hurricane trends linked to climate change. Eos, Transactions-American Geophysical Union 87: 233–244. , .
- 2004. Pacific and Atlantic Ocean influences on multidecadal drought frequency in the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101: 4136–4141. , , .
- 1999. Rotated global modes of Non-ENSO sea surface temperature variability. Journal of Climate 12: 2734–2746. , .
- 1977. Causality in temporal systems: Characterization and a survey. Journal of Econometrics 5: 265–293. , .
- 2006. Improved analyses of changes and uncertainties in sea surface temperature measured in situ cince the mid-nineteenth century: The HadSST2 dataset. Journal of Climate 19: 446–469. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Global analyses of sea surface temperature, sea ice, and night marine air temperature since the late nineteenth century. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 2-1–2-22, DOI:10.1029/2002JD002670. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Variability of summer rainfall over tropical North-Africa (1906–1992): observations and modelling. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 121: 669–704. , , , , .
- 2006. Forced and unforced ocean temperature changes in Atlantic and Pacific tropical cyclogenesis regions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103: 13905–13910, 10.1073/pnas.0602861103. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Stratospheric aerosol optical depths, 1850–1990. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 22,987–22,994. , , , .
- 1994. An oscillation in the global climate system of period 65–70 years. Nature 367: 723–726. , .
- 2005. Model projections of the North Atlantic thermohaline circulation for the 21st century assessed by observations. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L23710, DOI:10.1029/2005GL024368. , , .
- 2003. Volcanic and solar forcing of climate change during the preindustrial era. Journal of Climate 16: 4094–4107. , , , .
- 2004. Improved extended reconstruction of SST (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 17: 2466–2477. , .
- 2005. Atlantic forcing of North American and European summer climate. Science 309: 115–118. , .
- 2006. Atlantic hurricanes and natural variability in 2005. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L12704, DOI:10.1029/2006GL026894. , .
- 2007a. Increased tropical Atlantic wind shear in model projections of global warming. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L08702, DOI:10.1029/2006GL028905. , .
- 2007b. Increased tropical Atlantic wind shear in model projections of global warming. Nature 450: 1066–1070. , .
- 2006. Influences of the Atlantic warm pool on Western Hemisphere summer rainfall and Atlantic hurricanes. Journal of Climate 19: 3011–3028. , , , .
- 2007. Impact of the Atlantic warm pool on the summer climate of the Western Hemisphere. Journal of Climate 20: 5021–5040. , , .
- 2008. Climate response to anomalously large and small Atlantic warm pools during the summer. Journal of Climate 21: 2437–2450. , , .
- 2005. Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration and intensity in a warming environment. Science 309: 1844–1846. , , ,
- 2008. Influences of Atlantic climate change on the tropical Pacific via the Central American isthmus. Journal of Climate 21: 3914–3928. , , , .
- 2005. Simulated response to a substantial weakening of the Atlantic thermohaline circulation. Journal of Climate 18: 1853–1860. , .