Special Issue Article
Modelling the atmospheric response over southern Africa to SST forcing in the southeast tropical Atlantic and southwest subtropical Indian Oceans
Version of Record online: 9 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: African Climate and Applications
Volume 29, Issue 7, pages 1001–1012, 15 June 2009
How to Cite
Hansingo, K. and Reason, C. J. C. (2009), Modelling the atmospheric response over southern Africa to SST forcing in the southeast tropical Atlantic and southwest subtropical Indian Oceans. Int. J. Climatol., 29: 1001–1012. doi: 10.1002/joc.1919
- Issue online: 24 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 10 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 5 SEP 2007
- National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa
- 2001. Subtropical SST dipole events in the southern Indian Ocean. Geophysical Research Letter 28: 327–330. , .
- 2004. Wet and dry spells within particularly wet and dry summers in the South African summer rainfall region. Climate Research 26: 17–31. , , .
- 1993. Water vapour transport over southern Africa during wet and dry early and late summer months. Journal of Climatology 13: 151–70. , .
- 2003. The source of Benguela Niños in the South Atlantic Ocean. Geophysical Research Letter 30: DOI: 10.1029/2003GLO17172. , , , , .
- 2004. Evolution of interannual warm and cold events in the Southeast Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Climate 17: 2318–2334. , , , , , .
- 2003. Atmospheric response to South Atlantic SST dipole. Geophysical Research Letter 30: 1864. DOI: 10.1029/2003GL017829. , , .
- 2006. Interannual variability in dry and wet spell characteristics over Zambia. Climate Research 32: 49–62. , .
- 2006. Sensitivity of the atmospheric response to sea-surface temperature forcing in the southwest Indian Ocean: a regional climate modeling study. South African Journal of Science 102: 137–143. , .
- 1983. Atmosphere-ocean mechanisms of climate anomalies in the Angola-Tropical Atlantic Sector. Journal of Physical Oceanography 13: 1146–1157. , .
- 1997. Climatic variability and change over southern Africa: a reflection on underlying processes. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 23–50. , .
- 2000. The impact of new parameterizations in the Hadley Centre climate model: HadAM3. Climate Dynamics 16: 123–146. , , , .
- 2001. Subtropical Indian Ocean SST dipole events and southern African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letter 28: 2225–2227. .
- 2002. Sensitivity of the southern African circulation to dipole sea-surface temperature patterns in the South Indian Ocean. International Journal of Climatology 22: 377–393. .
- 2007. Tropical cyclone Dera, the unusual 2000/01 tropical cyclone season in the southwest Indian Ocean and associated rainfall anomalies over Southern Africa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 97: 181–188. Special issue on tropical cyclones, DOI: 10.1007/s00703-006-0251-2. .
- 2005a. Relationships between South Atlantic SST variability and atmospheric circulation over the South African region during austral winter. Journal of Climate 18: 3339–3355. , .
- 2005b. A model investigation of recent ENSO impacts over southern Africa. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89: 181–205. , .
- 1999. Relationships between South African rainfall and SST anomalies in the southwest Indian Ocean. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1651–1673. , .
- 2006. Sea surface temperature variability in the tropical southeast Atlantic Ocean and West African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letter 33: L21705. DOI: 10.1029/2006GL027145. , .
- 2005c. Interannual variability in rainy season characteristics over the Limpopo region of southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1835–1853. , , .
- 2003. A model investigation of interannual winter rainfall variabilityÂ over southwestern South Africa and associated ocean-atmosphere interaction. South African Journal of Science 99: 75–80. , , .
- 2006b. Seasonal to decadal prediction of Southern African climate and its links with variability of Atlantic Ocean. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 87: 941–955. , , .
- 2006a. Influences of large scale climate modes and Agulhas system variability on the BCLME region, Chapter 10 in Large Marine Ecosystems, Volume 14 Predicting a Large Marine Ecosystem, ShannonV, HempelG, Malanotte-RizzoliP, MoloneyC, WoodsJ (eds). : Benguela; 223–238. , , , .
- 1994. Improved global sea surface temperature analyses using optimum interpolation. Journal Climate 7: 929–948. , .
- 2000. Modification of the southern African rainfall variability/ENSO relationship since the late 1960. Climate Dynamics 16: 883–895. , , , .
- 2003. Simulations of the atmospheric response to South Atlantic sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 16: 2540–2551. , , .
- 2003. Southeast tropical Atlantic warm events and southern African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letter 30: 8009. DOI: 10.1029/2002GL014840. , , , .
- 1986. On the existence of an El Nino-type phenomenon in the Benguela system. Journal of Marine Research 44: 495–520. , , , .
- 2005. The interannual variability of the onset of the maize growing season over South Africa and Zimbabwe. Journal of Climate 18: 3356–3372. , , .
- 2003. An assessment of intraseasonal variability from 13-yr GCM simulations. Monthly Weather Review 13: 1975–1991. .
- 2004. Dry spell frequencies and their variability over southern Africa. Climate Research 26: 199–211. , .
- 2006. Extreme wet year over southern Africa: role Indian Ocean sea surface temperatures. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D15104. DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006724. , .
- 2008. Influence of South Atlantic sea surface temperatures on rainfall variability and extremes over Southern Africa. Journal of Climate(accepted). , , .
- 1995. The relationship between sea surface temperature and latent heat flux in the equatorial Pacific. Journal of Climate 8: 589–605. , .