Interannual and interdecadal variations of tropical cyclone activity in the South China Sea
Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 30, Issue 6, pages 827–843, May 2010
How to Cite
Goh, A. Z.-C. and Chan, J. C. L. (2010), Interannual and interdecadal variations of tropical cyclone activity in the South China Sea. Int. J. Climatol., 30: 827–843. doi: 10.1002/joc.1943
- Issue online: 26 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 12 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 APR 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 2 APR 2009
- Manuscript Received: 7 APR 2008
- Research Studentship from City University of Hong Kong
- 1997. Large-scale influences on tropical cyclogenesis in the Western North Pacific. Monthly Weather Review 125: 1397–1413. , .
- 1985. Tropical cyclone activity in the northwest Pacific in relation to the El Niño/Southern Oscillation phenomenon. Monthly Weather Review 113: 599–606. .
- 1995. Tropical cyclone activity in the western North Pacific in relation to the stratospheric quasi-biennial oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 123: 2567–2571. .
- 2000. Tropical cyclone activity over the Western North Pacific associated with El Niño and La Niña events. Journal of Climate 13: 2960–2972. .
- 2005. Interannual and interdecadal variations of tropical cyclone activity over the Western North Pacific. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89: 143–152. .
- 1982. Tropical cyclone movement and surrounding flow relationships. Monthly Weather Review 110: 1354–1374. , .
- 2004. Global warming and Western North Pacific typhoon activity from an observational perspective. Journal of Climate 17: 4590–4602. , .
- 1996. Long-term trends and interannual variability in tropical cyclone activity over the Western North Pacific. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 2765–2767. , .
- 1987. Numerical studies of the beta effect in tropical cyclone motion. Part 1: Zero mean flow. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 44: 1257–1265. , .
- 1994. Numerical studies of the beta effect in tropical cyclone motion. Part 2: Zonal mean flow effects. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 51: 1065–1076. , .
- 1998. Interannual variation in the tropical cyclone formation over the Western North Pacific. Monthly Weather Review 126: 1080–1090. , , , .
- 2002. The interannual variability in the genesis location of tropical cyclones in the Northwest Pacific. Journal of Climate 15: 2934–2944. , .
- 1993. The physics of tropical cyclone genesis over Eastern Pacific. Tropical Cyclone Disasters, LighthillJ, , , (eds). Peking University Press: Beijing, China; 136–142. .
- 1976. Tropical cyclone motion and surrounding parameter relationships. Journal of Applied Meteorology 15: 1252–1264. , .
- 1968. Global view of the origin of tropical disturbances and storms. Monthly Weather Review 96: 669–700. .
- 1979. Hurricanes: their formation, structure and likely role in the tropical circulation. In Meteorology Over Tropical Oceans, ShawDB (ed.). Royal Meteorological Society: James Glaisher House, Grenville Place, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1BX; 155–218. .
- 2000. Empirical evidence for North Pacific regime shifts in 1977 and 1989. Progress in Oceanography 47: 103–145. , .
- 2004. Interdecadal changes in summertime typhoon tracks. Journal of Climate 17: 1767–1776. , , , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , et al.
- 1994. An exploratory analysis of the relationship between tropical storm formation in the Western North Pacific and ENSO. Monthly Weather Review 122: 6636–6651. .
- 2006. Tropical cyclone formations in the South China Sea associated with the Mei-yu front. Monthly Weather Review 134: 2670–2687. , , .
- 2008. From model-based parameterizations to lookup tables: an EOF approach. Weather and Forecasting 23: 1127–1145. , , .
- 2005. Variations of tropical cyclone activity in the South China Sea. Presented in ESCAP/WMO Typhoon Committee Annual Review 2005, November 2006. Hong Kong Observatory Reprint No. 675. , , .
- 1988. Actions of typhoons over the western Pacific (including the South China Sea) and El Niño. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 5: 107–115. .
- 1994. Global climate change and tropical cyclones. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 75: 2147–2157. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Climatological characteristics and seasonal forecasting of tropical cyclones making landfall along the South China Coast. Monthly Weather Review 131: 1650–1662. , .
- 2006. Interdecadal variability of Western North Pacific tropical cyclone activity. Presented in the 27th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology. American Meteorological Society: Monterey, CA. , .
- 1999. The Pacific Decadal Oscillation and climate forecasting for North America. Climate Risk Solutions Newsletter, Maryam Golnaraghi (Ed.) 1: 10–13. .
- 1981. Observational analysis of tropical cyclone formation. Part II: Comparison of non-developing versus developing systems. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 38: 1132–1151. , .
- 1992. The Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC92) model. SAIC, Final Report, Contract No. N00014-90-C-6042, 85. .
- 2003. ENSO-forced variability of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. Journal of Climate 16: 3853–3857. , , .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions. Monthly Weather Review 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 2006. Improving seasonal forecasting in the low latitudes. Monthly Weather Review 134: 1859–1879. , , , .
- 2008. Interannual variability of tropical cyclones in the Australian region: role of large-scale environment. Journal of Climate 21: 1083–1103, DOI: 10.1175/2007JCLI1970.1. , , , , .
- 2000. Statistical significance of trends and trend differences in layer-average atmospheric temperature time series. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 7337–7356. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The forcing of the PDO. Journal of Climate 18: 4355–4373. , .
- 2002. Variations of the East Asian jet stream and Asian–Pacific–American winter climate anomalies. Journal of Climate 15: 306–325. , , .
- 2007. Tropical cyclone changes in the Western North Pacific in a global warming scenario. Journal of Climate 20: 2378–2396. , , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 1997. The definition of El Niño. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2771–2777. .
- 2002. How strong ENSO events affect tropical storm activity over the Western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 15: 1643–1658. , .
- 2007a. The upper ocean thermal structure and the genesis locations of tropical cyclones in the South China Sea. Journal of Ocean University of China 6: 125–131. , , .
- 2007b. The relative vorticity of ocean surface winds from the QuikSCAT satellite and its effects on the geneses of tropical cyclones in the South China Sea. Tellus A 59: 562–569. , , , .
- 2004. Impacts of El Niño–Southern Oscillation events on tropical cyclone landfalling activity in the Western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 17: 1419–1428. , , .
- 2005. Discrepancy of interdecadal changes in the Asian region among the NCEP–NCAR reanalysis, objective analyses, and observations. Journal of Climate 18: 3048–3067. , .
- 2004. The North Pacific Oscillation–ENSO and internal atmospheric variability. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L13206, DOI:10.1029/2004GL019983. , .
- 2005. Long-term change in tropical cyclone activity in the Western North Pacific. In Presented in the Scientific Assembly of International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science (IAMAS) 2005, Beijing, China, 2-11 August, 2005. Hong Kong Observatory Reprint No. 601. , , , .
- 2001. Interdecadal variability of tropical cyclone activity in the Western North Pacific. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 79: 23–35. , .