Special Issue Article
Urbanization signature in the observed heavy rainfall climatology over India
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Impacts of land use change on climate
Volume 30, Issue 13, pages 1908–1916, 15 November 2010
How to Cite
Kishtawal, C. M., Niyogi, D., Tewari, M., Pielke, R. A. and Shepherd, J. M. (2010), Urbanization signature in the observed heavy rainfall climatology over India. Int. J. Climatol., 30: 1908–1916. doi: 10.1002/joc.2044
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 6 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2009
- 1996. Three-dimensional numerical study of shallow convective clouds and precipitation induced by land surface forcing. Journal of Geophysical Research 101(D3): 7499–7518. , .
- 1981. Summary of urban effects on clouds and rain. In METROMEX: A Review and Summary, Meteorological Monograph 18, ChangnonSA (ed). American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA, 141–152. , , , , .
- 1968. The LaPorte weather anomaly—fact or fiction?. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 49: 4–11. .
- American Meteorological Society. 1981. METROMEX: A Review and Summary. Meteorological Monograph No. 40, 81 pp. , , , , .
- 1991. Precipitation changes in fall, winter, and spring caused by St. Louis. Journal of Applied Meteorology 30: 126–134. , , .
- 2007. Human Impacts on Weather and Climate, Chap 5, 2nd edn, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 1997. Mapping city Imagery and Population Density for the Continental United States. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 63: 727–734. , , , , .
- 2006. The Impact of Land Cover Change on a Simulated Storm Event in the Sydney Basin. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 45: 283–300. , .
- 2006. Increasing trend of Extreme Rain Events over India in a Warming Environment. Science 314: 1442–1445. , , , , .
- 2009. An investigation of warm season spatial rainfall variability in Oklahoma City: Possible linkages to urbanization and prevailing wind. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 48: 251–269. , .
- 1986. Urban hydrological review. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 67: 703–712. .
- 1972. Climatological assessment of urban effects on precipitation at St. Louis. Journal of Applied Meteorology 11: 823–842. , .
- 1997. Using nighttime DMSP/OLS images of city lights to estimate the impact of urban land use on soil resources in the United States. Remote Sensing of the Environment 59: 105–117. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Urban effects on low level clouds around the Tokyo metropolitan area on clear summer days. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L05103, DOI:10.1029/2003GL018908. , .
- 2008. Aerosol relationships to warm season clouds and rainfall at monthly scales over east China: Urban land versus ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research 113: D24S90, DOI:10.1029/2008JD010276. , .
- 2003. Impact of urbanization and land use on climate change. Nature 423: 528–531. , .
- 1988. Urbanization: Its detection and effect in the United States climate record. Journal of Climate 1: 1099–1123. , , .
- 2000. The effects of land-use alteration on the sea breeze and daytime heat island in the Tokyo metropolitan area. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 78: 405–420. , , , .
- 1970. Man-made climate changes. Science 170: 1265–1274. .
- 2008. Effect of explicit urban land surface representation on the simulation of the 26 July 2005 heavy rain event over Mumbai, India. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 8: 5975–5995. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Radar signatures of the urban effect on precipitation distribution: a case study for Atlanta, Georgia. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L20710, DOI:10.1029/2007GL031903. , , .
- 2006. Urban and land surface effects on the 30 July 2003 mesoscale convective system event observed in the Southern Great Plains. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D19107, DOI:10.1029/2005JD006746. , , , , .
- 2007. Potential impacts of aerosol-land-atmosphere interaction on the Indian monsoonal rainfall characteristics. Natural Hazards Monsoon Special Issue, DOI:10.1007/s11069-006-9085-y. , , , , , , .
- 1988. The urban energy balance. Progress in Physical Geography 12: 471–508. .
- 1984. Interannual and long-term variability of Indian summer monsoon rainfall. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth Planet Science) 93: 371–385. .
- 1997. Climates of South Asia. John Wiley & Sons: Chichester, 320 pp. , .
- 2001. Influence of the spatial distribution of vegetation and soils on the prediction of cumulus convective rainfall. Reviews of Geophysics 39: 151–177. .
- 2007. An overview of regional land use and land cover impacts on rainfall. Tellus B 59: 587–601. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Development of a High Resolution Daily Gridded Rainfall Data for the Indian Region. (Met Monograph Climatology, 22/2005, 26 pp, available from India Meteorological Department, Pune, India). , , , .
- 2002. Understanding regional economic growth in India. Asian Economic Papers 1: 32–62. , , .
- 2008. On the impact of urbanization on summertime thunderstorms in Atlanta: two numerical model case studies. Atmospheric Research 92: 172–189. , .
- 2009. On the impact of urbanization on summertime thunderstorms in Atlanta: two numerical model case studies. Atmospheric Research 92: 172–189. , .
- 2005. A review of current investigations of urban-induced rainfall and recommendations for the future. Earth Interactions 9: 9–26. .
- 2003. Detection of urban-induced rainfall anomalies in a major coastal city. Earth Interactions 7: 1–17. , .
- 2007. Quantifying the contribution of tropical cyclones to extreme rainfall along the coastal southeastern United States. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L23810–, DOI:10.1029/2007GL031694. , , .
- 2002. Rainfall modification by major urban areas: observations from spaceborne rain radar on the TRMM satellite. Journal of Applied Meteorology 41: 689–701. , , .
- 2009. The impact of urbanization on current and future coastal convection: A case study for Houston. Environment And Planning B (In Press). , , , , .
- 2000. Is there any change in extreme events like heavy rainfall ?. Current Science 79(2): 155–158. , .
- 1997. A comparison of Nighttime Satellite lights with nighttime data from the DMSP Operational Linescan System. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 63: 1303–1317. , , , .
- 2007. Urban aerosol impacts on downwind convective storms. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46: 828–850. , .
- 2004. Evidence for a significant urbanization effect on climate in China. Proceedings of the National Academy Science 101: 9540–9544. , , , , , , , .