Special Issue Article
Effects of Amazon and Central Brazil deforestation scenarios on the duration of the dry season in the arc of deforestation
Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Impacts of land use change on climate
Volume 30, Issue 13, pages 1970–1979, 15 November 2010
How to Cite
Costa, M. H. and Pires, G. F. (2010), Effects of Amazon and Central Brazil deforestation scenarios on the duration of the dry season in the arc of deforestation. Int. J. Climatol., 30: 1970–1979. doi: 10.1002/joc.2048
- Issue published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Article first published online: 20 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 24 SEP 2009
- Manuscript Received: 2 OCT 2008
- Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation (USA)
- CNPq (Brazil)
- 2004. Smoking rain clouds over the Amazon. Science 303: 1337–1342, DOI: 10.1126/science.1092779. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Ecological Climatology: Concepts and Applications. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. .
- 2009. The influence of historical and potential future deforestation on the stream flow of the Amazon River—land surface processes and atmospheric feedbacks. Journal of Hydrology 369: 165–174. , , .
- 2005. Large-scale hydrological impacts of tropical forest conversion. In Forests, Water and People in the Humid Tropics, BonellM, BruijnzeelLA (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York, pp 590–597. .
- 1998. A comparison of precipitation datasets for the Amazon basin. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 155–158. , .
- 2006. Effects of Amazon deforestation on the regional climate: historical perspective, current and future research. Brazilian Journal of Meteorology 21: 200–211. , .
- 2007. Climate change in Amazonia caused by soybean cropland expansion, as compared to caused by pastureland expansion. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L07706, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL029271. , , , , .
- 2008. Regional impacts of future land-cover changes on the Amazon Basin wet-season climate. Journal of Climate 21: 1153–1170. , , .
- 2007. The effects of deforestation on the hydrological cycle in Amazonia: a review on scale and resolution. International Journal of Climatology 27: 633–647. , , , , , .
- 2002. Evaluating the carbon cycle of a coupled atmosphere-biosphere model. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1012, DOI:10. 1029/2002 GB001870. , , .
- 1996. Role of vegetation in sustaining large-scale atmospheric circulations in the tropics. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 4255–4268. .
- 2003. Deforestation control in Mato Grosso: a new model for slowing the loss of Brazil's Amazon forest. Ambio 32: 343–345. .
- 1996. An integrated biosphere model of land surface processes, terrestrial carbon balance, and vegetation dynamics. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 10: 603–628. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Nature and Dynamics of Forest-Savanna Boundaries. Chapman and Hall: New York. , , .
- 2005. Calibration of the IBIS model in the Amazonian forest using multiple sites. Unpublished MS Thesis (in Portuguese with abstract in English), Federal University of Viçosa, Viçosa, 67pp. .
- 1998. The National Center for Atmospheric Research Community Climate Model: CCM3. Journal of Climate 11: 1131–1149. , , , , , .
- 2005. Conservation of the Brazilian Cerrado. Conservation Biology 19: 707–713, DOI: 10.1111/j.1523–1739.2005.00702.x. , .
- 1998. The tropical rainfall measuring mission (TRMM) sensor package. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 15: 809–817. , , , , .
- 2001. The future of the Brazilian Amazon. Science 291: 438–439. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. The IIASA database for mean monthly values of temperature, precipitation and cloudiness on a global terrestrial grid, IIASA Working Papers, WP-90-41, Laxenburg, Austria. , .
- 1990. Mean seasonal and spatial variability in gauge-corrected, global precipitation. International Journal of Climatology 10: 111–127. , .
- 2009. Exploring the likelihood and mechanism of a climate-change-induced dieback of the Amazon rainforest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, DOI:10.1073/pnas.0804619106. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Uncertainty and the changing hydroclimatology of the Amazon. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L14707, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL030157. , , , .
- 1999. Representing twentieth-century space-time climate variability. Part I: development of a 1961–90 mean monthly terrestrial climatology. Journal of Climate 12: 829–856. , , .
- 2007. Regional climate change over eastern Amazonia caused by pasture and soybean cropland expansion. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L17709, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL030612. , , , , , .
- 2008. Mapeamento semidetalhado do uso da terra do Bioma Cerrado. Pesquisa Agropecuaria Brasileira 43: 153–156, DOI: 10.1590/S0100-204X2008000100020. , , , .
- 2006. Modeling Amazon conservation. Nature 440: 520–523, DOI:10.1038/nature04389. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Global precipitation: a 17-year monthly analysis based on gauge observations, satellite estimates, and numerical model outputs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2539–2558. , .