The temporal and spatial structures of recent and future trends in extreme indices over Korea from a regional climate projection
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 72–86, January 2011
How to Cite
Im, E. S., Jung, I. W. and Bae, D. H. (2011), The temporal and spatial structures of recent and future trends in extreme indices over Korea from a regional climate projection. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 72–86. doi: 10.1002/joc.2063
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 12 NOV 2009
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2009
- Sustainable Water Resources Research Center of the 21st Century Frontier Research Program in Korea
- 2008a. Long-term trend of precipitation and runoff in Korean river basins. Hydrological processes 21: 2644–2656. , , .
- 2008b. Potential changes in Korean water resources estimated by high-resolution climate simulation. Climate Research 35: 213–226. , , .
- 2006. Change of extreme events of temperature and precipitation over Korea using regional climate projection of future climate change. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L01701, DOI:10.1029/2005GL023378. , , .
- 2007. Spatial variations of summer precipitation trends in South Korea, 1973–2005. Environmental Research Letters 2: 045012, DOI:10.1088/1748-9326/2/4/045012. , .
- 2004. Trends on temperature and precipitation extreme events in Korea. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society 39: 711–721. .
- 1993. Biosphere-Atmosphere Transfer Scheme (BATS) version 1 as Coupled to the NCAR Community Climate Model. NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-387+STR, 72. , , .
- 1991. A scheme for representing cumulus convection in large-scale models. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 48: 2313–2335. .
- 2005. New estimates of future changes in extreme rainfall across the UK using regional climate model integrations. 1: assessment of control climate. Journal of Hydrology 300: 212–233. , , , .
- 2006. Future change of precipitation extremes in Europe: intercomparison of scenarios from regional climate models. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D06105, DOI:10.1029/2005JD005965. , , , , .
- 1993a. Development of a second generation regional climate model (RgCM2). Part I. Boundary-layer and radiative transfer processes. Monthly Weather Review 121: 2794–2813. , , .
- 1993b. Development of a second generation regional climate model (RgCM2). Part II. Convective processes and assimilation of lateral boundary conditions. Monthly Weather Review 121: 2814–2832. , , , .
- 1999. Introduction to special section: regional climate modeling revisited. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 6335–6352. , .
- 2007. Extremes in temperature and precipitation around the Mediterranean basin in an ensemble of future climate scenario simulations. Global and Planetary Change 57: 27–42. , .
- 1994. A Description of the Fifth Generation Penn State/NCAR Mesoscale Model (MM5). NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-398+STR, 121. , , .
- 2006. On the capability of RegCM to capture extremes in long-term regional climate simulation—comparison with the observations for Czech Republic. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 86: 125–145. , , , , , .
- 1995. Multi-year present day and 2XCO2 simulations of monsoon-dominated climate over eastern Asia and Japan with a regional climate model nested in a general circulation model. Journal of Geophysical Research 100: 21105–21126. , .
- 1990. A high resolution air mass transformation model for short-range weather forecasting. Monthly Weather Review 118: 1561–1575. , , .
- 2008a. Sensitivity of the regional climate of East/Southeast Asia to convective parameterizations in the RegCM3 modelling system. Part 1: focus on the Korean peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 28: 1861–1877. , , , .
- 2008b. Consistent changes in twenty-first century daily precipitation from regional climate simulations for Korea using two convection parameterizations. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L14706, DOI:10.1029/2008GL034126. , , .
- 2007a. Projected change in mean and extreme climate over Korea from a double-nested regional climate model simulation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 85: 717–732. , , , .
- 2007b. Multi-decadal scenario simulation over Korea using a one-way double-nested regional climate model system. Part 1: recent climate simulation (1971–2000). Climate Dynamics 28: 759–780. , , , .
- 2006. Present climate simulation over Korea with a regional climate model using a one-way double-nested system. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 86: 187–200. , , , .
- IPCC. 2000. Special Report on Emissions Scenarios. A Special Report of Working Group III of the intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, (NakicenovicN and lead authors). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 599.
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Scientific Basis, IPCC Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK and New York, USA.
- 2009. Recent trends of mean and extreme precipitation in Korea. International Journal of Climatology DOI: 10.1002/joc.2068. , , .
- 2006. Ocean circulation and tropical variability in the coupled model ECHAM5/MPI-OM. Journal of Climate 19: 3952–3972. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Performance of RegCM2.5/NCAR-CSM nested system for the simulation of climate change in East Asia caused by global warming. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 79: 99–121. , , , , , .
- 2009. Comparison of uncertainty sources for climate change impact: flood frequency in England. Climatic Change 92: 41–63. , , , .
- 1975. Rank Correlation Methods. Charles Griffin: London. .
- 1996. Description of NCAR Community Climate Model (CCM3). NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-420+STR, 152. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Trends in indices of daily temperature and precipitation extremes in Europe, 1946–99. Journal of Climate 16: 3665–3680. , .
- 2005. Current status and perspectives of climate change sciences. Journal of Korean Meteorological Society 41: 325–336 (in Korean with English abstract). .
- 2009. Climate-change effects on extreme precipitation in central Europe: uncertainties of scenarios based on regional climate models. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 95: 361–374. , .
- 1945. Nonparametric tests against trend. Econometrica 13: 245–259. .
- 2007. Regional climate modeling for the developing World: the ICTP RegCM3 and RegCNET. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88: 1395–1409. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Indices for extreme events in projections of anthropogenic climate change. Climatic Change 86: 83–104. , .
- 1996. Grid box or grid point: what type of data do GCMs deliver to climate impacts researchers? International Journal of Climatology 16: 1079–1086. , .
- 2007. Software package for processing climatological data (complex solution). Available at http:www.klimahom.com/software/. [accessed 9 December 2009]. .
- 2005. Long-term trend analysis for precipitation in Asian Pacific FRIEND river basins. Hydrological Processes 19: 3517–3532. , , , .