The contributions of scott D. Woodruff, Eric Freeman, SJ Lubker and C Marzin to this article were prepared as part of their official duties as United States Federal Government employees.
Special Issue Article
Recovery of logbooks and international marine data: the RECLAIM project
Version of Record online: 2 MAR 2010
© Royal Meteorological Society and Crown Copyright 2010.
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Achievements in Marine Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 7, pages 968–979, 15 June 2011
How to Cite
Wilkinson, C., Woodruff, S. D., Brohan, P., Claesson, S., Freeman, E., Koek, F., Lubker, S. J., Marzin, C. and Wheeler, D. (2011), Recovery of logbooks and international marine data: the RECLAIM project. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 968–979. doi: 10.1002/joc.2102
- Issue online: 2 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 2 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUL 2009
- 2006. Daily mean sea level pressure reconstructions for the European—North Atlantic region for the period 1850–2003. Journal of Climate 19: 2717–2742, DOI: 10.1175/JCLI3775.1. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Anonymous (“C.A.”). 1906. The indexing of marine reports. Monthly Weather Review 34: 159. [Note: Initials probably refer to Cleveland Abbe, then Editor].
- Anonymous (“C.A.”). 1914. International simultaneous observations. Monthly Weather Review 42: 675–676. [Note: Initials probably refer to Cleveland Abbe, then Editor].
- Arctic Climatology Project. 2000. Environmental Working Group Arctic meteorology and climate atlas, FettererF, RadionovV (eds). National Snow and Ice Data Center: Boulder, CO (CD-ROM).
- 1899. Atlas of Meteorology: A Series of Over Four Hundred Maps. Prepared by and edited by BuchanA. Constable: London. , .
- 2000. Scientific vision, a passion for observation, and the impetus for change: Germany loans Maury logs to the National Climatic Data Center. Earth System Monitor 11(1): 4–7†. .
- 2009. Marine observations of old weather. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 90: 219–230, DOI: 10.1175/2008BAMS2522.1. , , , , , , .
- 1990. The search for the Manila Galleon log books. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 71: 1630–1636. .
- 2008. Third JCOMM Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology (CLIMAR-III). MeteoWorld. December 2008, WMO: Geneva. , , , , , , , , .
- DiazHF, WoodruffSD (eds.) 1999. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Digitization and Preparation of Historical Surface Marine Data and Metadata (Toledo, Spain, 15–17 September 1997). WMO/TD-No.957, MMROA Report No. 43. World Meteorological Organization: Geneva; 114 pp.††.
- 2007. NOAA's climate database modernization program: rescuing, archiving, and digitizing history. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88: 1015–1017. , , , , .
- 1993. Digitizing Historical Records for the Comprehensive Ocean-Atmosphere Data Set (COADS). Earth System Monitor 4(2): 4–10††. , , , .
- 2005a. CLIWOC: Climatology of the World's Oceans, 1750–1850 (Special Issue). Climatic Change 73: 1–194. , , , , (Guest Eds.)
- 2005b. CLIWOC Multilingual Meteorological Dictionary. Royal Dutch Meteorological Institute (KNMI): publication no.2005: De Bilt, The Netherlands. , , , , .
- JCOMM. 2004. An International Seminar to Celebrate the Brussels Maritime Conference of 1853—an historical perspective of operational marine meteorology and oceanography: proceedings. WMO/TD–No. 1226, JCOMM Technical Report No. 27, JCOMM: (CD-ROM).
- 2007b. WMO Publication No. 47: Metadata and an assessment of observation heights in ICOADS. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 24: 214–234. , , .
- 2007a. Advances in the use of historical marine climate data (Second International Workshop on Advances in the Use of Historical Marine Climate Data). Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88: 559–564. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Winds over the World Sea: Maury and Köppen. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 935–952. .
- Lloyd's Register. 1997. Register of Ships 1997–1998, A–G. Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping, London, 1773 pp.
- 1999. The digitized Kobe Collection, phase I: historical surface marine meteorological observations in the archive of the Japan Meteorological Agency. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80: 2703–2715. .
- 1854. Maritime Conference held at Brussels for devising a uniform system of meteorological observations at sea, August and September, 1853. Explanations and Sailing Directions to Accompany the Wind and Current Charts, 6th edn. E. C. and J. Biddle: Philadelphia, pp 54–96†. .
- 1997. Japanese whaling ships' sea surface temperature 1946-84. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 443–447. , , , .
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). 1978. Catalog of the Atmospheric Sciences Collection in the Library and Information Services Division, Environmental Science Information Center, Environmental Data and Information Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration–Acquisitions 1890-August 1971, vol. 3. NOAA: Boston; 330.
- 1995. Additional Logbook Data 1854-1899. (Unpublished UK Met Office report)†. .
- US Signal Service. 1883. Bulletin of International Meteorological Observations. Office of the Chief Signal Officer of the Army: Washington, DC.
- 1897. Wind and Weather, Currents, Tides and Tidal Currents in the East Indian Archipelago. Government Printing Office: Batavia; 209 pp. .
- 2009. The U.S. Maury Collection Metadata 1796-1861. Available from http://www.knmi.nl/onderzk/hisklim/Publicaties/publicaties.html. .
- 2003. Sea-level pressure observations from Dutch ships 1854–1938 incorporated in COADS Release 1c climatology. International Journal of Climatology 23: 471–475. , , , .
- 2008. Report on the Royal Navy Remark Books Held at the Hydrographic Office: Taunton UK. (Unpublished report)†. , , .
- WMO. 2008. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Rescue and Digitization of Climate Records in the Mediterranean Basin (Tarragona, Spain, 28–30 November 2007). WCDMP-67 (WMO-TD-1432), World Meteorological Organization: Geneva.
- 2007. Archival of data other than in IMMT format: The International Maritime Meteorological Archive (IMMA) Format. Second Session of the JCOMM Expert Team on Marine Climatology (ETMC), Geneva, Switzerland, 26–27 March 2007, JCOMM Meeting Report No. 50, 68–101. [These pages and related format documentation available from: http://icoads.noaa.gov/e-doc/imma/]. .
- 2005. Early ship observational data and ICOADS. Climatic Change 73: 169–194. , , , , .
- 2004. Rescuing marine data. World Climate News No. 25 (June 2004). WMO: Geneva; 10. , , , , , , .
- 2010. ICOADS Release 2.5 and Data Characteristics (this volume). , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. ICOADS Release 2.1 data and products. International Journal of Climatology 25: 823–842, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1166. , , , , .
- Note: references followed by † are available online at http://icoads.noaa.gov/reclaim/; references followed by †† are available online at: http://icoads.noaa.gov/publications.html or from the underlying selected research bibliography