Special Issue Article
Effect of thermal adaptation on seasonal outdoor thermal comfort
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: ICUC-7 Urban Climate Meeting
Volume 31, Issue 2, pages 302–312, February 2011
How to Cite
Lin, T.-P., de Dear, R. and Hwang, R.-L. (2011), Effect of thermal adaptation on seasonal outdoor thermal comfort. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 302–312. doi: 10.1002/joc.2120
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 11 OCT 2009
- National Science Council (NSC) of Taiwan
- 2003. Comfort in urban spaces: defining the boundaries of outdoor thermal comfort for the tropical urban environments. Energy and Buildings 35(1): 103–110. .
- 2006. Numerical study on the effects of aspect ratio and orientation of an urban street canyon on outdoor thermal comfort in hot and dry climate. Building and Environment 41(2): 94–108. , .
- 1977. Probit analysis of thermal sensation assessments. International Journal of Biometeorology 21(1): 29–43. , , .
- 1998. Thermal adaptation in the built environment: a literature review. Energy and Buildings 27(1): 83–96. , .
- 1998. A global database of thermal comfort field experiments. ASHRAE Transactions 104(1B): 1141–1152. .
- 1998. Developing an adaptive model of thermal comfort and preference. ASHRAE Transactions 104(1A): 145–167. , .
- 1994. Field experiments on occupant comfort and office thermal environments in a hot-humid climate. ASHRAE Transactions 100(2): 457–474. , .
- 1999. An Outdoor Thermal Comfort Index (OUT_SET*)—part II—applications. In the 15th International Congress of Biometeorology and International Conference on Urban Climatology, Sydney. , .
- 2007. Climate and behaviour in a Nordic city. Landscape and Urban Planning 82(1–2): 72–84. , , , , .
- 1972. Thermal Comfort. McGraw Hill: New York. .
- 1973. Conditions for thermal comfort-a review. In the Symposium on Thermal Comfort and Moderate Heat Stress (CIB W45), Garston. .
- 1986. A standard predictive index of human response to the thermal environment. ASHRAE Transactions 92(Pt 2B): 709–731. , , .
- 2009. Urban heat island characteristics in London during winter. Solar Energy 83(9): 1668–1682. , .
- 1999. The physiological equivalent temperature—a universal index for the biometeorological assessment of the thermal environment. International Journal of Biometeorology 43(2): 71–75. .
- 2004. Do people like to feel “Neutral”? Response to the ASHRAE scale of subjective warmth in relation to thermal preference, indoor and outdoor temperature. ASHRAE Transactions 110(2): 569–577. , .
- 2007. Thermal comfort requirements for occupants of semi-outdoor and outdoor environments in hot-humid regions. Architectural Science Review 50(4): 60–67. , .
- 2009. Additive model for thermal comfort generated by matrix experiment using orthogonal array. Building and Environment 44(8): 1730–1739. , , , , .
- ISO. 1998. International Standard 7726, Thermal Environment-instruments and Method for Measuring Physical Quantities. International Standard Organization: Geneva.
- ISO. 2005. International Standard 7730, Ergonomics of the Thermal Environment—Analytical Determination and Interpretation of Thermal Comfort using Calculation of the PMV and PPD Indices and Local Thermal Comfort Criteria. International Standard Organization: Geneva.
- 2008. Urban heat island intensity in London: an investigation of the impact of physical characteristics on changes in outdoor air temperature during summer. Solar Energy 82(11): 986–998. , .
- 2009. Thermal perception, adaptation and attendance in a public square in hot and humid regions. Building and Environment 44(10): 2017–2026. .
- 2007. Seasonal effect of pavement on outdoor thermal environments in subtropical Taiwan. Building and Environment 42(12): 4124–4131. , , .
- 2008. Tourism climate and thermal comfort in Sun Moon Lake, Taiwan. International Journal of Biometeorology 52(4): 281–290. , .
- 2010. Shading effect on long-term outdoor thermal comfort. Building and Environment 45(1): 213–221. , , .
- 2007. Modelling radiation fluxes in simple and complex environments—application of the RayMan model. International Journal of Biometeorology 51: 323–334. , , .
- 1987. Thermal comfort of man in different urban environments. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 38: 43–49. , .
- 2002. Developing an adaptive control algorithm for Europe. Energy and Buildings 34(6): 623–635. , .
- 2004. Thermal comfort and adaptation in semi-outdoor environments. ASHRAE Transactions 110(2): 543–553. , .
- 2001. SCATS: Final Report—Public. Oxford Brookes University: Oxford. , .
- 2001. Thermal comfort in outdoor urban spaces: understanding the human parameter. Solar Energy 70(3): 227–235. , , .
- 2003. Thermal comfort and psychological adaptation as a guide for designing urban spaces. Energy and Buildings 35(1): 95–101. , .
- 2007. An initial assessment of the bioclimatic comfort in an outdoor public space in Lisbon. International Journal of Biometeorology 52(1): 69–84. , .
- 1990. The role of personal control of the environment in thermal comfort and satisfaction at the workplace. In the 21st Annual Conference of the Environmental Design Research Association, Coming Of Age, Champaign-Urbana. .
- 1999. An Outdoor Thermal Comfort Index (OUT_SET*)—Part I—The Model and its Assumptions,. In the 15th International Congress of Biometeorology and International Conference on Urban Climatology, Sydney. , .
- 2003. A field study of thermal comfort in outdoor and semi-outdoor environments in subtropical Sydney Australia. Building and Environment 38(5): 721–738. , .
- 2007a. Thermal comfort and outdoor activity in Japanese urban public places. Environment and Behavior 39(5): 660–684. , , , , .
- 2007b. Different methods for estimating the mean radiant temperature in an outdoor urban setting. International Journal of Climatology 27(14): 1983–1993. , , , .
- 2004. Thermal bioclimatic conditions and patterns of behaviour in an urban park in Goteborg, Sweden. International Journal of Biometeorology 48(3): 149–156. , , .
- 2007. Environmental study of the impact of greenery in an institutional campus in the tropics. Building and Environment 42(8): 2949–2970. , , , , , .