Seasonal change of soil moisture in Mongolia: its climatology and modelling
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 8, pages 1143–1152, 30 June 2011
How to Cite
Nandintsetseg, B. and Shinoda, M. (2011), Seasonal change of soil moisture in Mongolia: its climatology and modelling. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1143–1152. doi: 10.1002/joc.2134
- Issue published online: 30 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 25 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUN 2009
- 1987. The methods of mapping snow cover distribution of territory of Mongolia by satellite and ground data (in Russian). PhD Dissertation, Mongolian Academy of Science, Institute of Geography, Ulaanbaatar. .
- 2002. Drought in Central and Southwest Asia: La Niña, the warm pool, and Indian Ocean precipitation. Journal of Climate 15: 697–700. , , .
- 2008. Adapting to drought, zud and climate change in Mongolia's rangelands. In Climate Change and Adaptation, NeilL, IanB, AdejuwonJ, BarrosV, LascoR (eds). Earthscan: UK. , , , .
- 2000. Climate Change and Its Impacts in Mongolia NAMHEM JEMR Publishing: Ulaanbaatar. , .
- 1998. Global variations in droughts and wet spells: 1900–1995. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 3367–3370. , , .
- 1999. Vegetation Dynamics of Mongolia. Kluwer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands. , , , , .
- 2003. The perfect ocean for drought. Science 299: 691–694, DOI: 10.1126/science.1079053. , .
- 1996. Analysis of model-calculated soil moisture over the United States (1931–1993) and applications in long-range temperature forecasts. Journal of Climate 9: 1350–1362. , .
- 2006. The break in Mongolian rainy season and the relation with the stationary Rossby wave along the Asianjet. Journal of Climate 19: 3394–3405. , .
- 1989. Climate of Mongolia (in Mongolian). Ulsiin hevlel Publishers: Ulaanbaatar, 98–100. .
- 1997. Meteorological Observations Manual 38: Quality Control Manual of Meteorological Observations (in Mongolian). NAMHEM: Ulaanbaatar. , .
- 1965. Soil Physics: Part I (in Russian). Kolos Publishers: Moscow, 132–139. .
- 2005. Interannual variation of phenology and biomass in Mongolian herbaceous vegetation. Journal of Arid Land Studies 14: 209–218 (in Japanese with English abstract). , , , .
- 2007. Plant water sources in the cold semiarid ecosystem of the upper Kherlen River catchment in Mongolia: a stable isotope approach. Journal of Hydrology 333: 109–117. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Response of terrestrial ecosystems to recent Northern Hemispheric drought. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L09705, DOI: 10.1029/ 2004GL022043. , , , .
- 1969. Climate and the ocean circulation 1: the atmospheric circulation and the hydrology of the earth's surface. Monthly Weather Review 97: 739–805. .
- 1996. Application of evapoclimatonomy to monthly surface water balance calculations at the HAPEX-Sahel supersites. Journal of Applied Meteorology 35: 562–573. , , , , .
- 1984. Global fields of monthly normal soil moisture, as derived from observed precipitation and an estimated evapotranspiration. Part V. Final Scientific Report. Under NASA Grant Nas 5–26, Department of Meteorology, University of Maryland. , .
- 1993. Global fields of soil moisture and land surface evapotranspiration derived from observed precipitation and surface air temperature. Journal Applied Meteorology 32: 1305–1334, DOI: 10.1175/1520–450(1993)032 < 1305: GFOSMA > 2.0.CO; 2. , .
- 2004. Agrometeorological conditions of grassland vegetation in central Mongolia and their impact for leaf area growth. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: D22106, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD005179. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Winter snow anomaly and atmospheric circulation in Mongolia. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1627–1636, DOI: 10.1002/joc.961. , , .
- 2007. Pasture yield response to precipitation and high temperature in Mongolia. Journal of Arid Environments 70: 94–110, DOI: 10.1016/j.jaridenv. 2006.11.013. , , , .
- 2008. Environmental controls on photosynthetic production and ecosystem respiration in semi-arid grasslands of Mongolia. Agricultural Forest Meteorology 148: 1456–1466. , , .
- 2003. Climate Change: Pasture and Animal Husbandry. In Climate Change and Environment, BatimaP (ed). Institute of Meteorology and Hydrology of Mongolia: Ulaanbaatar, 13–44. .
- 2005. Soil moisture initialization for climate prediction: Characterization of model and observation errors. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D13111, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD005745. , , .
- 1965. Meteorological drought. U.S. Weather Bureau Research Paper 45: 58. .
- 1968. Keeping track of crop moisture conditions, national wide: the new crop index. Weatherwise 21: 156–161. .
- 2002. Data quality control methods. Report of the climate information and prediction services (CLIPS): training workshop for eastern and southern Africa, 9–10. , .
- 2000. The global soil moisture data bank. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 1281–1299. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Hydrologic issues in arid, unsaturated systems and implications for contaminant transport. Reviews in Geophysics 35: 461–490. , , .
- 1987. The time scale of the soil hydrology using a simple water budget model. Journal of Climatology 7: 585–591. , .
- 2001. Climate memory of snow mass as soil moisture over central Eurasia. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 33393–33403. .
- 2010. Impact of drought on vegetation dynamics of the Mongolian steppe: a field experiment. Journal of Arid Environment 74: 63–69. , , .
- 2007. Notes and correspondence: phenology of Mongolian grasslands and moisture conditions. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 85: 359–367, DOI: 10.2151/jmsj.85.359. , .
- 2003. Influence of soil moisture anomaly on temperature in the Sahel: a comparison between wet and dry decades. Journal of Hydrometeorology 4: 437–447, DOI: 10.1175/1525-7541(2003)4 < 437: IOSMAO > 2.0.CO; 2. , .
- 2005. Climate memory of snow mass as soil moisture over central Eurasia. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 33393–33403. .
- 1948. An approach toward a rational classification of climate. Geographical Review 38: 55. .
- 2002. Soil moisture modeling based on multiyear observations in the Sahel. Journal of Applied Meteorology 41: 1140–1146, DOI: 10.1175/1520–0450(2002)041. , .
- 2007. Summertime soil hydrological cycle and surface energy balance on the Mongolian steppe. Journal of Arid Environments 69: 65–79. , , , .
- 2005. Rainfall-runoff and water-balance models for management of the Fena Valley Reservoir. Guam, U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2004–5287, 52. .
- 2005. An observational study of ecohydrology of sparse grassland at the edge of the Eurasian cryosphere in Mongolia. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D14103, DOI: 1029/2004JD005474. , , , .