Influence of the PNA on declining mountain snowpack in the Western United States
Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 8, pages 1135–1142, 30 June 2011
How to Cite
Abatzoglou, J. T. (2011), Influence of the PNA on declining mountain snowpack in the Western United States. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1135–1142. doi: 10.1002/joc.2137
- Issue published online: 14 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 8 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 5 NOV 2009
- 2007. Asymmetry between trends in spring and autumn temperature and circulation regimes over western North America. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L18808, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL030891. , .
- 2008. Human-induced changes in the hydrology of the western United States. Science 319: 1080–1083. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low-frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2009. Recent changes in freezing level heights in the Tropics with implications for the deglacierization of high mountain regions. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L17701, DOI: 10.1029/2009GL037712. , , , .
- 1995. Positive degree-day factors for ablation on Greenland ice sheet studies by energy-balance modelling. Journal of Glaciology 41: 153–160. .
- 2009. Assessing the impacts of global warming on snowpack in the Washington cascades. Journal of Climate 22: 2758–2772. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Interannual climate variability and snowpack in the western United States. Journal of Climate 9: 928–948. .
- 2008. Climate change scenarios for the California region. Climatic Change 87(Suppl 1): S21–S42. , , , , .
- 2004. Fifty-Two Years of “Pineapple-Express” Storms Across the West Coast of North America. U.S. Geological Survey, Scripps Institution of Oceanography for the California Energy Commission, PIER Energy-Related Environmental Research. CEC-500-2005-004. .
- 1995. Large-scale atmospheric forcing of recent trends toward early snowmelt in California. Journal of Climate 8: 606–623. , .
- 2009. Atmospheric circulation trends, 1950–2000: the relative roles of sea surface temperature forcing and direct atmospheric radiative forcing. Journal of Climate 22: 396–413, DOI: 10.1175/2008JCLI2453.1. , .
- 2004. Pacific interdecadal climate variability: linkages between the tropics and North Pacific during boreal winter since 1900. Journal of Climate 17: 3109–3124. , , .
- 2002. Fundamental mechanisms of PNA teleconnection pattern growth and decay. Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society 128: 775–796. .
- 2007. Changes in winter snowfall/precipitation ratio in the contiguous United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: D15109, DOI: 10.1029/2007JD008397. , .
- 2003. Detection of human influence on sea level pressure. Nature 422: 292–294. , , , .
- 2005. Detection of external influence on sea level pressure with a multi-model ensemble. Geophysical Research Letters 32(19): L19714, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL023640. , , .
- 2005. Production of temporally consistent gridded precipitation and temperature fields for the continental United States. Journal of Hydrometeorology 6: 330–336. , .
- 2007. Effects of 20th century warming and climate variability on flood risk in the Western U.S. Water Resources Research 43: W06427, DOI: 10.1029/2006WR005099. , .
- 2003. Temperature index melt modelling in mountainous areas. Journal of Hydrology 282: 104–115. .
- 1996. Influence of variations in extratropical wintertime teleconnections on northern hemisphere temperatures. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 665–668. .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007. In The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, SolomonS, QinD, ManningM, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL (eds) Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, pp 996.
- 2006. Trends in snowfall versus rainfall for the western United States. Journal of Climate 19: 4545–4554. , , .
- 2009. Declining annual streamflow distributions in the Pacific Northwest United States, 1948–2006. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L16401, DOI: 10.1029/2009GL039407. , .
- 1994. A simple hydrologically based model of land surface water and energy fluxes for GSMs. Journal of Geophysical Research 99(D7): 14415–14428. , , , .
- 2008. Rain versus snow in the Sierra Nevada, California: Comparing Doppler profiling radar and surface observations of the melting level. Journal of Hydrometeorology 9: 194–211. , , , , , .
- 1987. Deep orographic storms over the Sierra Nevada. Part I: Thermodynamic and kinematic structure. Journal of Atmospheric Science 44: 159–173. .
- 2006. Climate-driven variability and trends in mountain snowpack in Western North America. Journal of Climate 19: 6209–6220. .
- 2005. Declining mountain snowpack in western North America. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 39–49. , , , .
- 2005. An examination of the differences between surface and free-air temperature trend at high-elevation sites: Relationships with cloud cover, snow cover, and wind. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D24112, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006150. , .
- 2008. Attribution of declining Western U.S. snowpack to human effects. Journal of Climate 21: 6425–6444. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Seasonal cycle shifts in hydroclimatology over the Western United States. Journal of Climate 18: 372–384. , , , .
- 2000. Statistical significance of trend differences in layer-average temperature time series. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 7337–7356. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The influence of terrain-induced circulations on wintertime temperature and snow level in the Washington Cascades. Weather Forecasting 12: 208–227. , , .
- 2005. Changes toward earlier streamflow timing across western North America. Journal of Climate 18: 1136–1155. , , .
- 2010. A new look at snowpack trends in the cascade mountains. Journal of Climate (in press). , , .
- 1998. Progress during TOGA in understanding and modeling global teleconnections associated with tropical sea surface temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 14291–12324. , , , , , .
- 2006. A testbed for new seasonal hydrologic forecasting approaches in the western U.S.Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 87: 1699–1712, DOI: 10.1175/BAMS-87-12-1699. , .
- 2004. AO, COWL, and observed climate trends. Journal of Climate 17: 2139–2156. , .