Special Issue Article
Effect of land use changes on local meteorological conditions in Jakarta, Indonesia: toward the evaluation of the thermal environment of megacities in Asia
Article first published online: 31 MAR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Impacts of land use change on climate
Volume 30, Issue 13, pages 1931–1941, 15 November 2010
How to Cite
Tokairin, T., Sofyan, A. and Kitada, T. (2010), Effect of land use changes on local meteorological conditions in Jakarta, Indonesia: toward the evaluation of the thermal environment of megacities in Asia. Int. J. Climatol., 30: 1931–1941. doi: 10.1002/joc.2138
- Issue published online: 31 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 31 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 16 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2008
- 1976. A land use and land cover classification system for use with remote sensor data: US Geological Survey Professional Paper 964. , , , .
- 2003. Micro- and mesoclimatology. Progress in Physical Geography 27: 435–447. .
- BPS-Statistics Indonesia and JICA. 2000. Population Census.
- 2003. Interaction between an inland urban heat island and a sea-breeze flow: a laboratory study. Journal of Applied Meteorology 42: 1569–1583. , .
- 1972. Parameterization of the planetary boundary layer for use in general circulation models. Monthly Weather Review 100: 93–106. .
- 2005. PSU/NCAR Mesoscale Modeling System Tutorial Class Notes and User's Guide, MM5 Modeling System Version 3. Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division, National Center for Atmospheric Research. , .
- 2007. Interactions of urban heat island and sea breeze circulations. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 122: 43–65. , , , .
- 1995. A description of the fifth-generation Penn State-NCAR Mesoscale Model (MM5). NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-398 + STR, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado. , , .
- 2002. Sea-breeze circulation over Jakarta, Indonesia: a climatology based on boundary layer radar observations. Monthly Weather Review 130: 2153–2166. , , , .
- 1996. Nonlocal boundary layer vertical diffusion in a medium-range forecast model. Monthly Weather Review 124: 2322–2339. , .
- 2008. Changes in year-round air temperature and annual energy consumption in office building areas by urban heat island countermeasures and energy-saving measures. Applied Energy 85: 12–25. , , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, IPCC Fourth Assessment Report (AR4).
- 2007. Diurnal sea surface temperature variation and its impact on the atmosphere and ocean: a review. Journal of Oceanography 63: 721–744. , .
- 2006. Temperature rise in a tropical South-Eastern Asin City, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, caused by extended urbanization: numerical analysis for 1970, 2000, and 2020 based on land-use distribution: e-prints on the 6th International Conference on Urban Climate, Göteborg, Sweden, 12–16 June, 513–516. , , , .
- 2003. Temperature rise over the city of Johor Bahru caused by extended urbanization: numerical analysis for 1970, 2000, and 2020 by using MM5. Seminar Proceedings on the Planning of Urban Energy System, Johor Bahru, Malaysia, 17–18 September, 33–47. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of topography and urbanization on local winds and thermal environment in the Nohbi plain, coastal region of Central Japan: a numerical analysis by mesoscale meteorological model with a k-ε turbulence model. Journal of Applied Meteorology 37: 1026–1046. , , .
- 2000. The Effects of Land-Use Alteration on the Sea Breeze and Daytime Heat Island in the Tokyo Metropolitan Area. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 78(4): 405–420. , , , .
- 1994. Thermal effect of the sea breeze on the structure of the boundary layer and the heat budget over land. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 67: 119–144. , , .
- 1977. The applicability of a mixed-layer model of the planetary boundary layer to real-data forecasting. Monthly Weather Review 105: 1351–1371. , .
- 2007. Urban modification in a mesoscale model and the effects on the local circulation in the Pearl River Delta region. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46: 457–476. , , , , .
- 1997. Radiative transfer for inhomogeneous atmospheres: RRTM, a validated correlated-k model for the longwave. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 16663–16682. , , , , .
- National Climatic Data Center. NOAA Satellite and Information Service, U.S. Department of Commerce. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/ncdc.html.
- 2009. Observed sea surface temperature of Tokyo Bay and its impact on urban air temperature. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 48: 2054–2068. , .
- 2002. Local circulations developed in the vicinity of both coastal and inland urban areas: a numerical study with a mesoscale atmospheric model. Journal of Applied Meteorology 41: 30–45. , .
- 2004. Local circulations developed in the vicinity of both coastal and inland urban areas. Part II: effects of urban and mountain areas on moisture transport. Journal of Applied Meteorology 43: 119–133. , .
- 1988. Boundary Layer Climates, 2nd edn. Routledge: London, UK; 464. .
- 1998. Explicit forecasting of supercooled liquid water in winter storms using the MM5 mesoscale model. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 124B: 1071–1107. , , .
- 1979. Climate and Weather in the Tropics. Academic Press: London, UK; 611 pp. .
- 2007. Review of urban climate research in (sub)tropical regions. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1859–1873. .
- 2003. Simulation of St. Louis, Missouri, land use impacts on thunderstorms. Journal of Applied Meteorology 42: 716–738. , , .
- 2003. Detection of urban-induced rainfall anomalies in a major coastal city. Earth Interactions 7: 1–17. , .
- 2007. Difference of sea breeze in Jakarta between dry and wet seasons: implication in NO2 and SO2 distributions in Jakarta. Journal of Global Environment Engineering 12: 63–85. , , .
- 2006. Numerical study on the effect of buildings on temperature variation in urban and sub-urban areas in Tokyo. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 84: 921–937. , , , , , , , .
- United Nations. 2005. Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division: World Urbanization Prospects. The 2005 Revision Population Database, http://www.un.org/esa/population/unpop.htm.
- 2007. Urban aerosol impacts on downwind convective storms. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46: 828–850. , .
- 1982. Some comments on the evaluation of model performance. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 63: 1309–1313. .
- 1992. Numerical study of the daytime urban effect and its interaction with the sea breeze. Journal of Applied Meteorology 31: 1146–1164. .
- 1994. Interaction of the sea breeze with urban heat islands of different sizes and locations. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 72: 139–143. .
- 2009. Upstream urbanization exacerbates urban heat island effects. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L24401, DOI: 10.1029/2009GL041082. , , .