Rainfall history for the Hexi Corridor in the arid northwest China during the past 620 years derived from tree rings
Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 8, pages 1166–1176, 30 June 2011
How to Cite
Yang, B., Qin, C., Bräuning, A., Burchardt, I. and Liu, J. (2011), Rainfall history for the Hexi Corridor in the arid northwest China during the past 620 years derived from tree rings. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1166–1176. doi: 10.1002/joc.2143
- Issue published online: 14 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 2 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 9 APR 2009
- CAREERI of CAS. Grant Number: 51
- 2004. DENDROCLIM2002: a C++ program for statistical calibration of climate signals in tree-ring chronologies. Computers and Geosciences 30(3): 303–311. , .
- 2008. Long-term summer temperature variations in the Pyrenees. Climate Dynamics 31: 615–631. , , , .
- 2010. Tree-ring indicators of German summer drought over the last millennium. Quaternary Science Reviews 29(7–8): 1005–1016, DOI:10.1016/j.quascirev.2010.01.003. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Holocene moisture evolution in arid central Asia and its out-of-phase relationship with Asian monsoon history. Quaternary Science Reviews 27(3–4): 351–364. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. A Time-Series Analysis Approach to Tree-ring Standardization. PhD Thesis. The University of Arizona Press, Tucson. .
- 1995. The ‘segment length curse’ in long tree-ring chronology development for palaeoclimatic studies. The Holocene 5: 229–237. , , , , .
- 1990. Estimation of the mean chronology. In Methods of Dendrochronology. Applications in the Environmental Sciences, CookER, KairiukstisLA (eds). Kluwer Academic Publishers: Boston, Dordrecht, London; 123–132. , , , .
- 2004. Extra-tropical northern hemisphere land temperature variability over the past 1000 years. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 2063–2074. , , .
- 1997. Calculating unbiased tree-ring indices for the study of climatic and environmental change. The Holocene 7: 361–370. , .
- 2004. A global dataset of Palmer Drought Severity Index for 1870–2002: relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5: 1117–1130. , , .
- 2005. Effect of scaling and regression on reconstructed temperature amplitude for the past millennium. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L07711, DOI: 10.1029/2004GL021236. , , , .
- 2007. Adjustment for proxy number and coherence in a large-scale temperature reconstruction. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L16709, DOI:10.1029/2007GL030571. , , .
- 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press: London; 567 p. .
- 2007. Rapid tree growth with respect to the last 400 years in response to climate warming, northeastern Tibetan Plateau. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1497–1503. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Computer-assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree-Ring Bulletin 43: 69–95. .
- 2007. Paleoclimatic implications of an 850-year oxygen-isotope record from the northern Tibetan Plateau. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L23403, DOI:10.1029/2007GL032228. , , , .
- 2008. Quantification of Holocene Asian monsoon rainfall from spatially separated cave records. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 266(3–4): 221–232. , , , , , .
- 2007. Tree rings and climate for the last 689 years in Wulan area of northeastern Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Climatic Change 80(3–4): 369–377. , .
- 1994. A preliminary reconstruction of rainfall in north-central China since A.D.1600 from tree-ring density and width. Quaternary Research 42: 88–99. , , , .
- 2002. Mountain outlet runoff reconstruction of the Heihe River during past 1000 years using tree rings. Science in China. Series D 32: 675–685. , , , .
- 1997. A 1835 a tree-ring chronology and its preliminary analyses in Dulan region, Qinghai. Chinese Science Bulletin 42(13): 1122–1124. , , .
- 2008. Common tree growth anomalies over the northeastern Tibetan Plateau during the last six centuries: Implications for regional moisture change. Global Change Biology 14: 2096–2107. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Tree-ring based drought reconstruction for the central Tien Shan area, Northwest China. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L07715, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL025803. , , , .
- 2006. The 1920s drought recorded by tree rings and historical documents in the semi-arid and arid areas of northern China. Climatic Change 79: 403–432. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The extreme drought in the 1920s and its effect on tree growth deduced from tree ring analysis, a case study in North China. Annals of Forest Sciences 60: 145–152. , , , .
- 2009. Annual precipitation variation inferred from tree rings since AD 1770 for the western Qilian Mts., northern Tibetan Plateau. Tree Ring Research 65(2): 95–103, DOI: 10.3959/2008-2.1. , , .
- 2006. Precipitation variation in the northeastern Tibetan Plateau recorded by the tree rings since 850 AD and its relevance to the Northern Hemisphere temperature. Science in China. Series B 49(4): 408–420. , , , , .
- 2004a. Reconstruction of May-July precipitation in the north Helan Mountain, Inner Mongolia since AD 1726 from tree-ring late-wood widths. Chinese Science Bulletin 49(4): 405–409. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004b. Seasonal precipitation reconstruction from tree-ring stable carbon isotope for Mt. Helan, China since AD 1800. Global and Planetary Change 41: 229–239. , , , , .
- 2009. Centennial variations of the global monsoon precipitation in the last millennium: results from ECHO-G model. Journal of Climate 22(9): 2356–2371. , , , , , .
- 1995. Tree-ring reconstruction of Upper Gila River discharge. Water Resources Bulletin 31: 605–616. , .
- 1987. Cross-validation in statistical climate forecast models. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 1589–1600. .
- 1993. Climate of the last 500 years: high resolution ice core records. Quaternary Science Reviews 12: 419–430. , , , , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth century space-time climate variability. Part II: development of a 1901–1996 monthly terrestrial climate field. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 1997. Adjusting variance for sample-size in tree-ring chronologies and other regional-mean time-series. Dendrochronologia 15: 89–99. , , .
- 1965. Meteorological Drought. U.S. Weather Bureau Research Paper. NO. 45, Washington, D.C. .
- 2008. A high-resolution stalagmite oxygen-isotope record from Libo region in Guizhou Province of China since the 8th century. Carsologica Sinica 3: 266–272. .
- 2003. Climate change over southern Qinghai Plateau in the past 500 years recorded in Sabina tibetica tree rings. Chinese Science Bulletin 48(22): 2483–2487. , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Reconstruction of precipitation variation from tree rings in recent 1000 years in Delingha, Qinghai. Science in China. Series B 48(7): 939–949. , , , , , .
- 2005b. A 1437-year precipitation history from Qilian juniper in the northeastern Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. PAGES News 13(2): 14–15. , , , .
- 2004. Annual precipitation since 515BC reconstructed from living and fossil juniper growth of Northeast Qinghai Province, China. Climate Dynamics 23: 869–881. , , , , , , .
- 1968. An Introduction to Tree-Ring Dating. The University of Chicago Pres: Chicago, London; 1–73. , .
- 2003. Precipitation changes in Dulan 515 BC–800 AD inferred from tree-ring data related to the human occupation of NW China. No Suggestion Available 9: 303–321. , , , , .
- 2007. Tree-based drought reconstruction for the Qilian Mountains, northwestern China. Tree Ring Research 63: 27–36. , , , , , .
- 2006. Millennium-long precipitation record from tree-ring oxygen isotopes in northern Pakistan. Nature 440: 1179–1182. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The Holocene Asian monsoon, links to solar changes and North Atlantic climate. Science 308: 854–857. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Precipitation variations in arid and semiarid zones of northern China during the past 500 years. Chinese Science Bulletin 49(9): 883–887. , , , .
- 1984. On the average value of correlated time series, with applications in dendroclimatology and hydrometeorology. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 201–213. , , .
- 1997. Climate Change in Arid and Semiarid Regions of China. China Meteorological Press: Beijing; 1–101 (in Chinese). , , .
- 1993. An analysis of decade-to century-scale climatic jumps in history. Scientia Atmospheric Sinica 17(16): 663–672. , , .
- 2008. Reconstruction of a 1436-year soil moisture and vegetation water use history based on tree-ring widths from Qilian junipers in northeastern Qaidam Basin, northwestern China. International Journal of Climatology 28: 37–53. , , , .
- 2003. Variations of the spring precipitation day numbers reconstructed from tree rings in the Urumqi River drainage, Tianshan Mts. Over the last 370 years. Chinese Science Bulletin 48(14): 1507–1510. , , , , , .
- 2003. A 2,326-year tree-ring record of climate variability on the northeastern Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. Geophysical Research Letters 30(14): 1–4. , , , , .
- 2006. Precipitation variability and extreme events in eastern China during the past 1500 years. Terrestrial Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences 17(3): 579–592. , , , , .