The contribution of Gordon M. Heisler to this article was prepared as part of his official duties as a United States Federal Government employee.
The relationship between land cover and the urban heat island in northeastern Puerto Rico
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 8, pages 1222–1239, 30 June 2011
How to Cite
Murphy, D. J., Hall, M. H., Hall, C. A. S., Heisler, G. M., Stehman, S. V. and Anselmi-Molina, C. (2011), The relationship between land cover and the urban heat island in northeastern Puerto Rico. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1222–1239. doi: 10.1002/joc.2145
- Issue online: 19 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 5 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2008
- US National Science Foundation through the Long-Term Ecological Research Project in the Luquillo Mountains of Puerto Rico. Grant Numbers: BSR-8811902, DEB 9411973, DEB 0080538, DEB 0218039
- 2001. Cool surfaces and shade trees to reduce energy use and improve air quality in urban areas. Solar Energy 70: 295–310. , , .
- 1990. Global Patterns: Climate, Vegetation, and Soils. University of Oklahoma Press: Norman; 370. .
- 2000. The tale of two climates—Baltimore and Phoenix urban LTER sites. Climate Research 15: 123–135. , , , .
- United States Forest Service. 1983. Research History and Opportunities in the Luquillo Experimental Forest. Southern Forest Experimental Station: New Orleans, Louisiana. , , ,
- 1965. The Climate of London. Hutchinson: London. .
- 2000. Mapping a wind-modified urban heat island in Tucson, Arizona (with comments on integrating research and undergraduate learning). Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 2417–2431. .
- 2005. Urban heat islands developing in coastal tropical cities. Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union 86: 397–403. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Modeling spatial and temporal patterns of tropical land use change. Journal of Biogeography 22: 753–757. , , , , .
- 2004. The role of rural variability in urban heat island determination for Phoenix, Arizona. Journal of Applied Meteorology 43: 476–486. , , , , .
- 2006. Urban, residential, and rural climate comparisons from mobile transects and fixed stations: Phoenix, Arizona. Journal of the Arizona-Nevada Academy of Science 38: 77–87. , .
- 2006. Land-cover influences on air temperature in and near Baltimore, MD. 6th International Conference on Urban Climate, Gothenburg, Sweden, 392–395. Also available at http://www.gvc2.gu.se/icuc6//index.htm. [Access year 2006]. , , , , , , , .
- American Meteorological Society. 2007. Empirical modeling and mapping of below-canopy air temperatures in Baltimore, MD and vicinity. Seventh Urban Environment Symposium, San Diego, CA. http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/126981.pdf. [Access year 2007]. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Cloud-free satellite image mosaics with regression trees and histogram matching. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 71: 1079–1089. , .
- 1995. A Climate Change Scenario for Assessing the Impact of Climate Change on Tropical Rain Forests. A report for the World Wildlife Service by the Climatic Research Unit, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. , .
- 2006. Assessment with satellite data of the urban heat island effects in Asian mega cities. International Journal of Applied Earth Observations 8: 34–48. , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Summary for Policymakers. In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. SolomonS, QinD, ManningM, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL (eds. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York.
- 2001. Heat island intensities over Brihan Mumbai on a cold winter and hot summer night. Mausam 52: 703–708. , , , .
- 1981. The Urban Climate, vol. 28, International Geophysics Series, Academic Press: New York. .
- 1980. Some Observations of the Baltimore, Md., Heat Island. Institute of Physical Science and Technology, Technical Note, University of Maryland. , .
- 2000. Analysis of 20th century rainfall and stream flow to characterize drought and water resources in Puerto Rico. Physical Geography 21: 494–521. .
- 1961. The temperature of cities. Weatherwise 14: 224–229. .
- 2002. Meteorological Impacts of Land Use Change in the Maritime Tropics. Academisch Proefschrift, Vrije Universiteit: Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 262 pp. Available at http://www.geo.vu.nl/∼moli/PhD/index_PhD.html. [Access year 2008]. .
- 2001. Quantification of the influences of wind and cloud on the nocturnal urban heat island of a large city. Journal of Applied Meteorology 40: 169–182. , , .
- National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) 2008. Climate Normals—Puerto Rico. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Ashville, North Carolina. http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/climatenormals/clim81/PRnorm.txt.
- 1970. Climate at El Verde, 1963–1966. In A Tropical Rain Forest: a study of irradiation and ecology at El Verde, Puerto Rico, OdumHT and PigeonRF. (ed). Division of Technical Information, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission: Washington, DC. , , .
- 1976. The distinction between canopy and boundary layer urban heat islands. Atmosphere 14: 268–277. .
- 1973. City Size and the Urban Heat Island. Atmospheric Environment 7: 769–779. .
- 1982. The energetic basis of the urban heat island. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 108: 1–24. .
- 2006. Initial guidance to obtain representative meteorological observations at urban sites. WMO, Instruments and Observing Methods, Report No. 81, WMO/TD-No. 1250. .
- 1971. The urban boundary layer in Montreal. Boundary Layer Meteorology 1: 411–437. , .
- 2001. Modeling the spatial pattern of land-use change with GEOMOD2: application and validation for Costa Rica. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 85: 191–203. , , .
- 2007. Review of urban climate research in (sub)tropical regions. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1859–1873. .
- 1989. Satellite-derived urban heat islands from three coastal cities and the utilization of such data in urban climatology. International Journal of Remote Sensing 10(11): 1699–1720. , , .
- 1998. Climate change and the Luquillo Experimental Forest of Puerto Rico: assessing the impacts of various climate change scenarios. American Water Resources Association 98: 193–198. .
- 2009. Newly Developed “Thermal Climate Zones” for Defining and Measuring Urban Heat Island Magnitude in the Canopy Layer. Proceedings of the American Meteorological Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona. 11–15 January. Available on-line at http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/150476.pdf. [Access year 2009]. , .
- 1964. An urban ventilation model applied to Montreal. Ph.D. Dissertation, McGill University. .
- 1977. Application of the urban mixing-depth concept to air pollution problems. InProceedings of the Conference on Metropolitan Physical Environment, General Technical Report NE-25. HeislerGM and HerringtonLP eds. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station: Upper Darby, PA; 273–277. Available online at http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/11559. .
- 2006. Urban heat island effect analysis for San Juan, Puerto Rico. Atmospheric Environment 40: 1731–1741. , , .
- 2003. Thermal remote sensing of urban climates. Remote Sensing of Environment 86: 370–384. , .