Characteristic intraseasonal oscillation of rainfall and its effect on interannual variability over Bangladesh during boreal summer
Version of Record online: 14 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 8, pages 1192–1204, 30 June 2011
How to Cite
Fujinami, H., Hatsuzuka, D., Yasunari, T., Hayashi, T., Terao, T., Murata, F., Kiguchi, M., Yamane, Y., Matsumoto, J., Islam, Md. N. and Habib, A. (2011), Characteristic intraseasonal oscillation of rainfall and its effect on interannual variability over Bangladesh during boreal summer. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1192–1204. doi: 10.1002/joc.2146
- Issue online: 14 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 14 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 22 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 10 JUL 2009
- Japan Earth Observation System Promotion Program
- Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research. Grant Number: B-12574020
- Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists. Grant Number: B-20740268
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan
- 1996. El-Nino Southern Oscillation and rainfall variation over Bangladesh. Mausam 47: 157–162. , , , .
- 2001. Active/break cycles: diagnosis of the intraseasonal variability of the Asian summer monsoon. Climate Dynamics 18: 85–102. , .
- 2001. Impact of the Indian Ocean Dipole on the relationship between the Indian monsoon rainfall and ENSO. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 4499–4502. , , .
- 2004. Individual and combined influences of ENSO and the Indian Ocean Dipole on the Indian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 17: 3141–3155. , , , .
- 2008. Differing estimates of observed Bangladesh summer rainfall. Journal of Hydrometeorology 9: 1106–1114, DOI: 10.1175/2008jhm928.1. , , , , .
- 2004. Structure, genesis and scale selection of the tropical quasi-biweekly mode. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 130: 1171–1194, DOI: 10.1256/Qj.03.133. , .
- 1993. The 10-20-day mode of the 1979 Indian monsoon—Its relation with the time-variation of monsoon rainfall. Monthly Weather Review 121: 2465–2482. , .
- 2003. The El Nino-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) and seasonal flooding—Bangladesh. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 76: 105–124. .
- 1979. Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions. Journal of Applied Meteorology 18: 1016–1022. .
- 2004. Submonthly variability of convection and circulation over and around the Tibetan Plateau during the boreal summer. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 82: 1545–1564, DOI:10.2151/jmsj.82.1545. , .
- 2009. The effects of midlatitude waves over and around the Tibetan Plateau on submonthly variability of the East Asian summer monsoon. Monthly Weather Review 137: 2286–2304, DOI: 10.1175/2009MWR2826.1. , .
- 2002. Tropical-extratropical interaction associated with the 10–25-day oscillation over the western Pacific during the Northern summer. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 80: 311–331. , .
- 2005. Southerly surges on submonthly time scales over the eastern Indian Ocean during the southern hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 133: 1637–1654. , .
- 2001. Intraseasonal oscillations and interannual variability of the Indian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate 14: 1180–1198. , .
- 1999. A broad-scale circulation index for the interannual variability of the Indian summer monsoon. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 125: 611–633. , , .
- 2003. Clustering of synoptic activity by Indian summer monsoon intraseasonal oscillations. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1431, DOI: 10.1029/2002GL016734. , , , .
- 1989. Intraseasonal periodicities in Indian rainfall. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 46: 2838–2862. , .
- 2007. The role of intraseasonal variability in the nature of Asian monsoon precipitation. Journal of Climate 20: 4402–4424, DOI: 10.1175/JCLI4252.1. , .
- 2005. Spatial and temporal variations of precipitation in and around Bangladesh. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 83: 21–39. , , , , .
- 2007. Use of TRMM in determining the climatic characteristics of rainfall over Bangladesh. Remote Sensing of Environment 108: 264–276, DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2006.11.011. , .
- 2005. Numerical simulation on the diurnal variation of precipitation over northeastern Bangladesh: a case study of an active period 14–21 June 1995. SOLA 1: 205–208, DOI: 10.2151/sola.2005-053. , .
- 1998. A possible mechanism of the Asian summer monsoon-ENSO coupling. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 76: 1009–1027. .
- 2005. On the recent change of the Indian summer monsoon-ENSO relationship. SOLA 1: 201–204, DOI: 10.2151/sola.2005-052. , , .
- 1996. Rainfall variability over Bangladesh and Nepal: Comparison and connections with features over India. International Journal of Climatology 16: 689–703. , , .
- 2000. Intraseasonal and interannual variability of rainfall over India. Journal of Climate 13: 4366–4377. , .
- 1980. 10 to 20-day westward propagating mode and breaks in the monsoons. Tellus 32: 15–26. , .
- 1996. Description of a complete (interpolated) outgoing longwave radiation dataset. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 1275–1277. , .
- 1972. Description of global-scale circulation cells in the tropics with a 40–50 day period. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 29: 1109–1123. , .
- 1994. Observations of the 40- to 50-day tropical oscillation—A review. Monthly Weather Review 122: 814–837. , .
- 2008. Relationship between atmospheric conditions at Dhaka, Bangladesh, and rainfall at Cherrapunjee, India. Natural Hazards 44: 399–410, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-007-9125-2. , , , , .
- 2000. Intraseasonal variation of monsoon activities associated with the rainfall over Bangladesh during the 1995 summer monsoon season. Journal of Geophysical Research–Atmospheres 105: 29445–29459. , , , .
- 2001. Diurnal variations of connective activity and rainfall in tropical Asia. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 79: 333–352. , , , , .
- 2007. The JRA-25 reanalysis. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 85: 369–432. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Characteristics of monsoon precipitation systems in and around Bangladesh. International Journal of Climatology. (in press), DOI: 10.1002/joc.1949. , , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 2006. Nocturnal jet and its effects on early morning rainfall peak over northeastern Bangladesh during the summer monsoon season. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L18806, DOI: 10.1029/2006gl026156. , , , .
- 2008. High temporal and spatial resolution observations of meso-scale features of pre- and mature summer monsoon cloud systems over Bangladesh. Natural Hazards 44: 341–351, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-007-9128-z. , , , .
- 1998. High- and low-frequency intraseasonal variance of OLR on annual and ENSO timescales. Journal of Climate 11: 968–986. , , , .
- 2006. Boreal summer quasi-monthly oscillation in the global tropics. Climate Dynamics 27: 661–675, DOI 10.1007/s00382-006-0163-3. , , , , .
- 1992. Monsoon and ENSO—Selectively interactive systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 877–926. , .
- 1979. Cloudiness fluctuations associated with the northern hemisphere summer monsoon. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 57: 227–242. .
- 2008. Geographical distribution of variance of intraseasonal variations in western Indochina as revealed from radar reflectivity data. Journal of Climate 21: 5154–5161, DOI: 10.1175/2008jcli2153.1. , .
- 2007. Climatological characteristics of the intraseasonal variation of precipitation over the Indochina Peninsula. Journal of Climate 20: 5301–5315, DOI: 10.1175/2007jcli1357.1. , , .