The South American Monsoon System and the 1970s climate transition
Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 8, pages 1248–1256, 30 June 2011
How to Cite
Carvalho, L. M. V., Jones, C., Silva, A. E., Liebmann, B. and Silva Dias, P. L. (2011), The South American Monsoon System and the 1970s climate transition. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1248–1256. doi: 10.1002/joc.2147
- Issue published online: 14 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 24 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 22 AUG 2009
- NOAA Office of Global Programs. Grant Numbers: NOAA/NA05OAR4311129, NA07OAR4310211, NA08OAR4310698
- European Community's Seventh Framework Programme. Grant Number: FP7/2007-2013
- 2008. The 1976/77 Austral summer climate transition effects on the atmospheric circulation and climate in Southern South America. Journal of Climate 21: 4365–4383. , .
- 2007. Evidence for a rapid global climate shift across the late 1960s. Journal of Climate 20: 2721–2744. , .
- 2009. IPCC global coupled climate model simulations of the South America Monsoon System. Climate Dynamics 33: 893–916. , .
- 2002. Intraseasonal large-scale circulations and mesoscale convective activity in tropical South America during the TRMM-LBA campaign. J Geophys Res-Atmos 107: 10, DOI:1029/2001JD000745. , , .
- 2004. The South Atlantic convergence zone: Intensity, form, persistence, and relationships with intraseasonal to interannual activity and extreme rainfall. Journal of Climate 17: 88–108. , , .
- 2010. Moisture transport and Intraseasonal Variability in the South America Monsoon System. Climate Dynamics (in press). , , , , .
- 1999. Trends of upper-air circulation and water vapour over equatorial South America and adjacent oceans. International Journal of Climatology 19: 863–876. , .
- 2009. Changes in Continental Freshwater Discharge from 1948 to 2004. Journal of Climate 22: 2773–2792. , , , .
- 2006. Simulation of the 1976/77 climate transition over the North Pacific: sensitivity to tropical forcing. Journal of Climate 19: 6170–6180. , .
- 2004. Pacific interdecadal climate variability: linkages between the tropics and the North Pacific during boreal winter since 1900. Journal of Climate 17: 3109–3124. , , .
- 2001. How do tropical sea surface temperatures influence the seasonal distribution of precipitation in the equatorial Amazon? Journal of Climate 14: 4003–4026. , , , .
- 2006. South American monsoon indices. Atmospheric Science Letters 6: 219–223. , , .
- 2009. Determination of the onset dates of the rainy season in central Amazon with equatorially antisymmetric outgoing longwave radiation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 97: 361–372. , .
- 1994. Decadal-scale climate variability in the tropical and North Pacific during the 1970S and 1980S—observations and model results. Climate Dynamics 10: 135–162. .
- 2003. The El Nino impact on the summer monsoon in Brazil: regional processes versus remote influences. Journal of Climate 16: 263–280. .
- 2004. How do La Nina events disturb the summer monsoon system in Brazil? Climate Dynamics 22: 123–138. .
- 2007. Connection between spring conditions and peak summer monsoon rainfall in South America: role of soil moisture, surface temperature, and topography in eastern Brazil. Journal of Climate 20: 5929–5945. , , .
- 2000. Empirical evidence for North Pacific regime shifts in 1977 and 1989. Progress in Oceanography 47: 103–145. , .
- 1989. An investigation of the annual cycle of convective activity over the Tropical Americas. Journal of Climate 2: 1388–1403. , , .
- 2009. A homogeneous stochastic model of the Madden-Julian oscillation. Journal of Climate 22: 3270–3288. .
- 2002. Active and break phases in the South American Monsoon system. Journal of Climate 15: 905–914. , .
- 2006. Changes in the activity of the Madden-Julian oscillation during 1958–2004. Journal of Climate 19: 6353–6370. , .
- 2009. Stochastic simulations of the Madden-Julian Oscillation activity. Climate Dynamics. DOI 10.1007/s00382-009-0660-2. , .
- 1996. The NCEP-NCAR 40 Year Reanalysis Project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. and Coauthors.
- 2009. Interannual relations between South American rainfall and tropical sea surface temperature anomalies before and after 1976. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1439–1448. , , .
- 2004. An evaluation of the apparent interdecadal shift in the tropical divergent circulation in the NCEP-NCAR reanalysis. Journal of Climate 17: 349–361. , , , .
- 2001. The NCEP-NCAR 50-Year Reanalysis: monthly means CD-ROM and documentation. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 247–267. and Coauthors.
- 1988. Pentad outgoing longwave radiation climatology for the South American sector. Rev. Bras. Met. 3: 217–231. .
- 1997. On the origin of the bolivian high and related circulation features of the South American climate. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 54: 656–678. , .
- 2001. Interannual variability of the rainy season and rainfall in the Brazilian Amazon basin. Journal of Climate 14: 4308–4318. , .
- 2005. Daily precipitation grids for South America. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 1567–1570. , .
- 1999. Submonthly convective variability over South America and the South Atlantic convergence zone. Journal of Climate 12: 1877–1891. , , , , .
- 2004. Subseasonal variations of rainfall in South America in the vicinity of the low-level jet east of the Andes and comparison to those in the South Atlantic convergence zone. Journal of Climate 17: 3829–3842. , , , , .
- 2007. Onset and end of the rainy season in South America in observations and the ECHAM 4.5 atmospheric general circulation model. Journal of Climate 20: 2037–2050. and Coauthors.
- 2007. Submonthly variability in the South American Monsoon System. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 85A: 385–401. , .
- 2004. Interdecadal variability and trends of rainfall across the Amazon basin. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 78: 79–96. .
- 2009. Long-term trends and cycles in the hydrometeorology of the Amazon basin since the late 1920s. Hydrol Process 23: 3236–3244. .
- 2001. Onset and end of the rainy season in the Brazilian Amazon basin. Journal of Climate 14: 833–852. , , , , .
- 2009. Intraseasonal and interannual variability of extreme dry and wet events over Southeastern South America and Subtropical Atlantic during the Austral summer. J. Climate 22: 1682–1699. , , , .
- 2000. Intraseasonal modulation of South American summer precipitation. Monthly Weather Review 128: 837–850. , , .
- 2002. Linkages between summer rainfall variability over south America and sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 15: 1389–1407. , .
- 2002. Recent environmental changes in Laguna Mar Chiquita (central Argentina): a sedimentary model for a highly variable saline lake. Sedimentology 49: 1371–1384. , , .
- 2007. Observed changes in the lifetime and amplitude of the Madden-Julian oscillation associated with interannual ENSO sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 20: 2659–2674. , .
- 2008. The life cycle of the South American monsoon system. Journal of Climate 21: 6227–6246. , .
- 2004. A sequential algorithm for testing climate regime shifts. Geophys Res Lett 31: L09204, DOI:09210.01029/02004GL-019448, 012004. .
- 2007. Large-scale index for South America Monsoon (LISAM). Atmospheric Science Letters 8: 51–57. , .
- 2006. Toward a unified view of the American Monsoon systems. Journal of Climate 19: 4977–5000. and Coauthors.
- 2002. Cross-equatorial flow and seasonal cycle of precipitation over South America. Journal of Climate 15: 1591–1608. , .
- 2005. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 91, 2nd edn. Academic Press: San Diego, CA; 648 pp. .
- 2003. GPCP Pentad precipitation analyses: an experimental dataset based on gauge observations and satellite estimates. Journal of Climate 16: 2197–2214. and Coauthors.
- 1998. Origin of upper-ocean warming and El Nino change on decadal scales in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Nature 391: 879–883. , , .
- 1998. Does a monsoon climate exist over South America? Journal of Climate 11: 1020–1040. , .
- 2001. Principal modes of interannual and decadal variability of summer rainfall over South America. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1623–1644. , .