Will snow-abundant winters still exist in the Swiss Alps in an enhanced greenhouse climate?
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 9, pages 1257–1263, July 2011
How to Cite
Beniston, M., Uhlmann, B., Goyette, S. and Lopez-Moreno, J. I. (2011), Will snow-abundant winters still exist in the Swiss Alps in an enhanced greenhouse climate?. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1257–1263. doi: 10.1002/joc.2151
- Issue online: 21 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 15 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 10 NOV 2009
- 2006. Climate change impacts and adaptation in winter tourism. In Climate Change in the European Alps, AgrawalaA (ed). OECD Publications: Paris; 25–60. , , , .
- 1994. Climate change and winter tourism, Impact on transport companies in the Swiss canton of Graubünden, Mountain Environments in Changing Climates, Routledge: London; 328–348. , .
- 2005. Homogeneous temperature and precipitation series of Switzerland from 1864 to 2000. International Journal of Climatology 25: 65–80. , , .
- 2004. Climatic Change and its Impacts. An Overview Focusing on Switzerland. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht/The Netherlands and Boston/USA (now Springer Publishers), 296 pp. .
- 2005. Warm winter spells in the Swiss Alps: strong heat waves in a cold season? Geophysical Research Letters 32: L01812. .
- 2006. The August 2005 intense rainfall event in Switzerland: not necessarily an analog for strong convective events in a greenhouse climate. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L5701. .
- 2009. Trends in joint quantiles of temperature and precipitation in Europe since 1901 and projected for 2100. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L07707. .
- 2007. Changes in variability and persistence of climate in Switzerland; exploring 20th century observations and 21st century simulations. Global and Planetary Change 57: 1–20. , .
- 2003. Estimates of snow accumulation and volume in the Swiss Alps under changing climatic conditions. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 76: 125–140. , , , .
- 2007. Future extreme events in European climate; an exploration of Regional Climate Model projections. Climatic Change 81: 71–95. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Very high-resolution regional climate simulations over Scandinavia Present climate. Journal of Climate 11: 3204–3229. , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change, the IPCC 4th assessment report. In SolomonS, QinD, ManningM, ChenZ, MarquisM, AverytKB, TignorM, MillerHL (eds.) (The Physical Science Basis), Contribution of Working Group I, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 1009 pp. Available in pdf format at URL: http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/contents.html [accessed 2007].
- 2003. Anthropogenic climate change for 1860 to 2100 simulated with the HadCM3 model under updated emission scenarios. Climate Dynamics 20: 583–612. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sensitivity analysis of snow cover to climate change scenarios and their impact on plant habitats in Alpine Terrain. Climatic Change 72: 299–319. , , .
- 1997. Impacts of climate change on winter tourism in the Swiss Alps. Journal of Sustainable Tourism 5: 46–58. , .
- 2009. Impact of climate change on snowpack in the Pyrenees: horizontal spatial variability and vertical gradients. Journal of Hydrology 374: 384–396. , , .
- 2000. IPCC Special Report on Emissions Scenarios, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, USA; 599 pp. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The impact of new physical parameterizations in the Hadley Centre climate model HadAM3. Climate Dynamics 16: 123–146. , , , .
- 2008. Warmer climate: Less or more snow. Climate Dynamics 30: 307–319. .
- 2004. Trends in Swiss Alpine snow days: the role of local- and large-scale climate variability. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L13215. , , .
- 2009. Sensitivity analysis of snow patterns in Swiss ski resorts to shifts in temperature precipitation and humidity under condition of climate change. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1048–1055. , , .