The contribution of Jessica Nolte to this article was prepared as part of her official duties as a United States Federal Government employee.
Evaluation of the Environmental Protection Agency/National Weather Service Ultraviolet Index Forecast against independent UV measurements: Phoenix Arizona (2000–2006)
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 9, pages 1368–1376, July 2011
How to Cite
Svoma, B. M., DeBiasse, K., Nolte, J., Busby, B., Beeson, C. and Cerveny, R. (2011), Evaluation of the Environmental Protection Agency/National Weather Service Ultraviolet Index Forecast against independent UV measurements: Phoenix Arizona (2000–2006). Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1368–1376. doi: 10.1002/joc.2152
- Issue online: 21 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 8 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 21 AUG 2009
- 1997. The North American monsoon. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78(10): 2197–2213. , .
- American Cancer Society. Skin Cancer Facts, cited 2009. Available online at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/ped_7_1_What_You_Need_To_Know_About_Skin_Cancer.asp.
- Arizona Department of Health Services. SunWise Skin Cancer Prevention School Program, cited 2009. Available online at http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/sunwise/.
- Atlas (Atlas Materials Testing), cited 2009. Available online at http://www.atlas- mts.com/.
- 2008. UV-B climatology in Central Spain. International Journal of Climatology 28(14): 1933–1941. , , .
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Skin Cancer: Comparing Skin Cancer in Different U.S. States, cited 2009. Available online at http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm.
- 2001. Comparison of measured and modeled uv indices for the assessment of health risks. Meteorological Applications 8: 267–277. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Solar ultraviolet radiation effects on biological systems. Physics in Medicine and Biology 36: 299–328. .
- 2004. The future incidence of cutaneous melanoma within the UK. British Journal of Dermatology 151(4): 868–872. .
- Environmental Protection Agency. Human Health: Sun Protection, cited 2008. Available online at http://www.epa.gov/ebtpages/humasunprotection.html/.
- 2009. The influence of ozone and aerosols on the experimental values of UV erythemal radiation at ground level in Valencia. International Journal of Climatology. 29(14): 2171–2182, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1847. , , , , , .
- 1999. Skin cancer prevention: the problem, responses, and lessons learned. Heath Education and Behavior 26(3): 308–316. , , , , , .
- 2005. Understanding the factors that affect surface ultraviolet radiation. Optical Engineering 44(4): 41002–041002-9, DOI:10.1117/1.1886817. .
- 1996. Ultraviolet index forecasts issued by the National Weather Service. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77(4): 729–748. , , , , , .
- 2006. Is the current public health message on UV exposure correct? Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84(6): 485–491. , , .
- 1993. UV radiation in the natural and perturbed atmosphere In UV-B Radiation and Ozone Depletion: Effects on Humans, Animals, Plants, Micro-organismas and Materials. Lewis—Need to Find out Formatting for Book Sources, TevinM (ed). Lewis Publishers: Boca Raton, USA; 17–69. .
- 2010. Empirical models of UV total radiation and cloud effect study. International Journal of Climatology DOI:10.1002/joc.1983. (in press). , , .
- National Weather Service. National Weather Service Phoenix, Arizona, Preliminary Local Climatological Data (WS FORM: F-6). 2008b. Available online at http://cdo.ncdc.noaa.gov/pls/plhas/HAS.FileAppSelect?datasetname = 9957ANX.
- ADEQ: Arizona Department of Environmental Quality. 2007. 2007 annual air quality report. http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/monitoring/download/2007air.pdf. Accessed 15 Nov 2009. .
- 2003. Aerosol single scattering albedo retrieved from measurements of surface UV irradiance and a radiative transfer model. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108(D9): 4288, DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002360. , , , , .
- 2009. Estimation of clear-sky effective erythema radiation from broadband solar radiation (300–3000 nm) data in an arid climate. International Journal of Climatology 29(13): 2027–2032, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1848. .
- 1996. Observed influence of clouds on ultraviolet-B radiation. Geophysical Research Letters 23(19): 2625–2628. , , , , .
- Sunarc. Sunlight, Nutrition and Health Research Center, cited 2009. Available online at http://sunarc.org/.
- 2009. The erythemal clearness index for Valencia, Spain. International Journal of Climatology 29(1): 147–155. , , , , , .
- 2001. Aerosol optical depth measurements and their impact on surface levels of ultraviolet-B radiation. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 106(D15): 17311–17319. , , .
- 1998. A study of regional aerosol radiative properties and effects on ultraviolet-B radiation. Journal of Geophysical Research 103(D15): 17083–17097. , , , , , , .
- World Health Organization, Skin Cancer, cited 2008a. Available online at http://www.who.int/topics/skin_cancer/en/.
- World Health Organization. INTERSUN Programme. cited 2008b. Available online at http://www.who.int/uv/intersunprogramme/en/.