Variability of regional snow cover in spring over western Canada and its relationship to temperature and circulation anomalies
Article first published online: 2 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 9, pages 1280–1294, July 2011
How to Cite
Bao, Z., Kelly, R. and Wu, R. (2011), Variability of regional snow cover in spring over western Canada and its relationship to temperature and circulation anomalies. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1280–1294. doi: 10.1002/joc.2155
- Issue published online: 21 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 2 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 20 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUN 2009
- NOAA. Grant Number: NA09OAR4310186
- 2001. ENSO, Pacific decadal variability, and U.S. summertime precipitation, drought, and streamflow. Journal of Climatology 14: 2105–2126. , , .
- 2008. Human-induced changes in the hydrology of the western United States. Science 319: 1080, DOI: 10.1126/science.1152538. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Characteristics of daily and extreme temperatures over Canada. Journal of Climatology 14: 1959–1976. , , , .
- 2000. Northern Hemisphere snow cover variability and change, 1915–97. Journal of Climatology 13: 2339–2355. .
- 1996. Interannual variability in reconstructed Canadian snow cover, 1915–1992. Journal of Climatology 9: 1299–1318. , .
- 1998. Decadal variability of precipitation over western North America. Journal of Climatology 11: 3148–3166. , , , .
- 2001. Changes in the onset of spring in the western United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 399–415. , , , , .
- 2002. A north Pacific short-wave train during the extreme phase of ENSO. Journal of Climatology 15: 2359–2376. .
- 1991. The effect of snow cover on the climate. Journal of Climatology 4: 689–706. , .
- 1976. Predictability of sea surface temperature and sea level pressure anomalies over the North Pacific Ocean. Journal of Physical Oceanography 6: 249–266. .
- 2007. Recent Northern Hemisphere snow cover extent trends and implications for the snow-albedo feedback. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L22504, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL031474. , .
- 2009. Detection of runoff timing changes in pluvial, nival and glacial rivers of western Canada. Water Resources Research 45: W04426, DOI: 10.1029/2008WR006975. , , , , , .
- 2006. Spatial variability and trends in observed snow depth over North America. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L16503, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL027258. , .
- 1999. North American snow extent: 1900–1994. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1517–1534. , , .
- 1999. Enhanced climate change and its detection over the Rocky Mountains. Journal of Climatology 12: 230–243. , .
- 2003. Relative impacts of Siberian and North American snow anomalies on the winter Arctic oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 30(16): 1848, DOI: 10.1029/2003GL017749. , , .
- 1994. Changes of snow cover, temperature, and radiative heat balance over the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Climatology 7: 1633–1656. , , .
- 1997. Evidence for a relationship between spring snow cover in North America and summer rainfall in New Mexico. Geophysical Research Letters 24: 2207–2210. , .
- 1992. Interannual variability of wintertime snow cover across the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Climatology 5: 1441–1447. , .
- 2005. Effect of temperature and precipitation variability on snowpack trends in the western United States. Journal of Climatology 18: 4545–4561. , , , .
- IPCC, , , , , , , , . 2007. Climate Change: The Physical Science Basis, contribution of working group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of global sea surface temperature 1856–1991. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 18567–18589. , , , , , .
- 1993. The association between extremes in North American snow cover extent and United States temperature. Journal of Climatology 6: 1345–1355. , .
- 1991. The Pacific/North American teleconnection pattern and United States climate. Part I: regional temperature and precipitation association. Journal of Climatology 4: 517–528. , , .
- 1999. Covariability of aspects of North American climate with global sea surface temperatures on interannual to interdecadal time scales. Journal of Climatology 12: 289–302. , .
- 1986. An Atlas of Satellite-derived Northern Hemispheric Snow Cover Frequency. NOAA: Washington, CD, 75 pp. , , .
- 2002. Primary modes and predictability of year-to-year snowpack variations in the western United States from teleconnections with Pacific Ocean climate. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 13–25. , .
- 1999. Rotated global modes of non-ENSO sea surface temperature variability. Journal of Climatology 12: 2734–2746. , .
- 1994a. Interdecadal variability of the Pacific Ocean: model response to observed heat flux and wind street anomalies. Climate Dynamics 9: 287–302. , , , , .
- 1994b. The 1976-77 climate shift of the Pacific Ocean. Oceanography 7: 21–26. , , , , .
- 1996. Spring snowpack anomaly patterns and winter climatic variability, British Columbia, Canada. Water Resources Research 32: 623–632. , .
- 2003. Trends in snow water equivalent in the Pacific Northwest and their climatic cause. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1601, DOI: 10.1029/2003GL017258. .
- 1997. Decadal climate variability in the North Pacific during recent decades. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2215–2225. , , .
- 1985. Some empirical evidence for the influence of snow cover on temperature and precipitation. Monthly Weather Review 113: 1542–1553. .
- 1995. An estimate of horizontal heat transport during a Chinook. Journal of Applied Meteorology 34: 2533–2542. .
- 1996. Canada's Chinook belt. International Journal of Climatology 16: 441–462. .
- 2005. Seasonal cycle shifts in hydroclimatology over the western United States. Journal of Climatology 18: 372–384. , , , .
- 1985. Maximum surface albedo of seasonally snow-covered lands in the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Climate Applied Meteorology 24: 402–411. , .
- 1993. Global snow cover monitoring: an update. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 74: 1689–1696. , , .
- 2000. Seasonal variability of Northern Hemisphere snow extent using visible satellite data. Professional Geographer 51: 307–314. , .
- 2003. Land surface conditions over Eurasia and Indian summer monsoon rainfall. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D4): 4131, DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002286. , , , .
- 1995. Use of midlatitude soil moisture and meteorological observations to validate soil moisture simulations with biosphere and bucket models. Journal of Climatology 8: 15–35. , , , , .
- 2006. Evaluation of surface albedo and snow cover in AR4 coupled climate models. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D15111, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006473. .
- 2008. Declining summer flows of Rocky Mountain rivers: changing seasonal hydrology and probable impacts on floodplain forests. Journal of Hydrology 349: 397–410. , , , , , .
- 1986. North American precipitation and temperature patterns associated with the El Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO). Monthly Weather Review 114: 2352–2362. , .
- 2006. The impact of El Nino-Southern Oscillation on the Canadian climate. Advances in Geosciences 6: 149–153. .
- 2001. Climate memory of snow mass as soil moisture over central Eurasia. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 33393–33403. .
- 2007. Northern Hemisphere winter climate variability: response to North American snow cover anomalies and orography. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L16825, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL030573. , , .
- 2005. Change toward earlier streamflow timing across western North America. Journal of Climatology 18: 1136–1155. , , .
- 1994. Decadal atmosphere-ocean variations in the Pacific. Climate Dynamics 9: 303–319. , .
- 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 109: 784–812. , .
- 1988. Sensitivity of 30-day dynamical forecasts to continental snow cover. Journal of Climatology 1: 739–754. , .
- 1985. Influences of snow cover and soil moisture on monthly air temperature. Monthly Weather Review 113: 756–768. , , .
- 2002. A 431-yr reconstruction of western Colorado snowpack from tree rings. Journal of Climatology 15: 1551–1561. .
- 2003. Decadal variability in the North Pacific: the eastern North Pacific mode. Journal of Climatology 16: 3111–3131. , .
- 1995. Interannual fluctuations of surface air temperature over North America and its relationship to the North Pacific SST anomaly. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 12: 20–28. , .
- 2007. Observed relationship of spring and summer East Asian rainfall with winter and spring Eurasian snow. Journal of Climatology 20: 1285–1304. , .
- 2001. Snow-albedo feedback and seasonal climate variability over North America. Journal of Climatology 14: 4245–4248. , , , , .
- 1991. Local and remote responses to excessive snow mass over Eurasia appearing in the northern spring and summer climate—a study with the MRI GCM. Journal of Meteorological Society of Japan 69: 473–487. , , .
- 2001. Quasi-biennial and quasi-decadal variations in snow accumulation over northern Eurasia and their connections to the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Journal of Climatology 14: 4573–4584. .
- 2000. Temperature and precipitation trends in Canada during the 20th century. Atmospheric Ocean 38: 395–429. , , , .