Regionality of monsoon onset in South America: a three-stage conceptual model
Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 9, pages 1309–1321, July 2011
How to Cite
Nieto-Ferreira, R. and Rickenbach, T. M. (2011), Regionality of monsoon onset in South America: a three-stage conceptual model. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1309–1321. doi: 10.1002/joc.2161
- Issue online: 21 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 APR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 4 APR 2010
- Manuscript Received: 11 NOV 2009
- National Oceanic. Grant Number: NA07OAR4310495
- Atmospheric Administration Climate and Global Change Program Climate Prediction Program for the Americas
- 2003. The version-2 Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP-V2) monthly precipitation analysis (1979-present). Journal of Hydrometeorology 4: 1147–1167. and coauthors.
- 2004. Mechanisms controlling the annual cycle of precipitation in the tropical Atlantic sector in an atmospheric GCM. Journal of Climate 17: 4708–4723. , , .
- 1995. Tropical circulation associated with southwest monsoon onset and westerly surges over the South China Sea. Monthly Weather Review 123: 181–196. , .
- 1983. Two severe freezes in Brazil: precursors and synoptic evolution. Monthly Weather Review 111: 181–196. , .
- 2004. The influence of the land surface on the transition from dry to wet season in Amazonia. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 78: 97–110. , .
- 2004. The South America monsoon circulation and its relationship to rainfall over West Central Brazil. Journal of Climate 17: 47–66. , , .
- 2003. Estação chuvosa de 2001/02 na região Centro-Oeste do Brasil—2001/02 rainy season in West-Central Brazil. Rev. Bras. Meteor. 18-2: 181–194. , .
- 2006. South American monsoon indices. Atmospheric Science Letters 6: 219–223. , , .
- 1991. A primitive equations model study of the effect of topography on the summer circulation over tropical South America. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 48: 1822–1836. , .
- 2009. Determination of the onset dates of the rainy season in central Amazon with equatorially antisymmetric outgoing longwave radiation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 97: 361–372, DOI 10.1007/s00704-008-0080-y. , .
- 2000. Cold air intrusions over subtropical South America: structure and dynamics. Monthly Weather Review 128: 2544–2599. .
- 2007. The nature of the rainfall onset over central South America. Atmósfera 20: 377–394. , , , , , .
- 1993. Further work on the prediction of northeast Brazil rainfall anomalies. Journal of Climate 6: 743–758. , .
- 1977. Climatic Atlas of the Tropical Atlantic and Eastern Pacific Oceans. University of Wisconsin Press: Madison; 112 pp. , .
- 1989. An investigation of the annual cycle of convective activity over the tropical Americas. Journal of Climate 2: 1388–1403. , , .
- 2002. Active and break phases in the South American monsoon system. Journal of Climate 15: 905–914. , .
- 1985. Atmospheric circulation changes associated with rainfall anomalies over Tropical Brazil. Monthly Weather Review 113: 1951–1957. .
- 1988. Pentad outgoing longwave radiation climatology for the South American sector. Rev. Bras. Meteor. 3: 217–231. .
- 1995. Simulation and diagnosis of the regional summertime precipitation climatology of South America. Journal of Climate 8: 2988–3005. , .
- 2004. Transition of the large-scale atmospheric and land surface conditions from the dry to the wet season over Amazonia as diagnosed by the ECMWF re-analysis. Journal of Climate 17: 2637–2651. , .
- 2006. Influence of cold air intrusions on the wet season onset over Amazonia. Journal of Climate 19: 257–275. , .
- 1999. Submonthly convective variability over South America and the South Atlantic Convergence zone. Journal of Climate 12: 1877–1891. , , , , .
- 2001. Interannual variability of the rainy season and rainfall in the Brazilian Amazon Basin. Journal of Climate 14: 4308–4318. , .
- 1987. On the role of sea surface temperature gradients in forcing low level winds and convergence in the tropics. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 44: 2418–2436. , .
- 2004. Seasonal and diurnal variability of convection over the Amazonia: a comparison of different vegetation types and large scale forcing. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 78: 61–77. , , , .
- 2001. Onset and end of the rainy season in the Brazilian Amazon Basin. Journal of Climate 14: 833–852. , , , , .
- 1992. The annual cycle in equatorial convection and sea surface temperature. Journal of Climate 5: 1140–1156. , .
- 1981. On the dynamics of droughts in Northeast Brazil: observations, theory and numerical experiments with a general circulation model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 38: 2653–2675. , .
- 2010. The role of cold fronts in the onset of the South American monsoon. Submitted to the Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society (in press). , .
- 1997. Alternating wet and dry conditions over South America during summer. Monthly Weather Review 125: 279–291. , .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions. Monthly Weather Review 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 2008. The life cycle of the South American monsoon system. Journal of Climate 21: 6227. , .
- 1990. Characteristics of rainfall over Brazil: annual variations and connections with the southern oscillation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 42: 81–91. , .
- 2002. Modulation of convection in the Southwestern Amazon Basin by extratropical stationary fronts. Journal of Geophysical Research 107(D20): 8040, DOI: 10.1029/2000JD000263. , , , , .
- 2009. Monsoon in the Americas: opportunities and challenges. Geography Compass 3: 1–16, DOI: 10.1111/j.1749–8198.2009.00266.x. , , , .
- 2007. Large-scale index for South America Monsoon (LISAM). Atmospheric Science Letters 8: 51–57, DOI: 10.1002/asl.150. , .
- 1993. Two paradigms of baroclinic wave life-cycle behavior. Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society 119: 17–55. , , .
- 1987. Mesoscale convective complexes in the Americas. Journal of Geophysical Research 92: 9591–9613. , .
- 2000. A diagnostic study of cold-air outbreaks over South America. Monthly Weather Review 128: 3–24. , .
- 2002. Cross-equatorial flow and seasonal cycle of precipitation over South America. Journal of Climate 15: 1591–1608. , .
- 2008. Causes and impacts of the 2005 Amazon drought. Environmental Research Letters 3:014002, DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/3/1/014002, 9pp. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Does a monsoon climate exist over South America?. Journal of Climate 11: 1020–1040. , .
- 2001. Principal modes of interannual and decadal variability of summer rainfall over South America. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1623–1644. , .