Global characteristics of pluvial and dry multi-year episodes, with emphasis on megadroughts
Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 10, pages 1425–1439, August 2011
How to Cite
Hunt, B. G. (2011), Global characteristics of pluvial and dry multi-year episodes, with emphasis on megadroughts. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1425–1439. doi: 10.1002/joc.2166
- Issue online: 25 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 2 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 APR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 28 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 29 JAN 2009
- 2006. ENSO simulation in coupled ocean-atmosphere models: are the current models better? Climate Dynamics 27: 1–15. , .
- 1996. El Nino Southern Oscillation and Climatic Variability. CSIRO Publishing: Australia, 405. , , .
- 2001. Fluctuations of the relationship between ENSO and northeast Australian rainfall. Climate Dynamics 17: 421–432. , , .
- 1977. A parameterization of ground-surface moisture content for use in atmospheric prediction models. Journal of Applied Meteorology 16: 1182–1185. .
- 2006. Decades of drought, years of hunger: archival investigations of multiple year droughts in late colonial Chihuahua. Climatic Change 75: 391–491. , .
- 2008. Atlantic and Pacific influences on medieval drought in North America simulated by the Community Atmospheric Model. Journal of Geophysical Research 113: D11101, DOI: 10.1029/2007JD009347. , , , , .
- 2003. Paleoclimatic analogs to twentieth-century moisture regimes across the United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 901–909. , , .
- 1990. Isopycnal mixing in ocean circulation models. Journal of Physical Oceanography 20: 150–155. , .
- 1997. Transient climate change in the CSIRO coupled model with dynamic sea-ice. Monthly Weather Review 125: 875–907. , .
- 1987. Sea surface temperature, surface wind divergence and convection over tropical oceans. Science 238: 657–659. , .
- 2007. Extreme Nile floods and famines in Medieval Egypt (AD 930–1500) and their climatic implications. Quaternary International 173–174: 101–112. .
- 2007. North American droughts of the last millennium from a gridded network of tree-ring data. Journal of Climate 20: 1353–1376. , , , .
- 2004. Climate precursors of multidecadal drought variability in the western United States. Water Resources Research 40: W12504, DOI: 10.1029/2004 WR003350. .
- 2001. Solar forcing of drought frequency in the Maya Lowlands. Science 292: 1367–1370. , , , .
- 2001. A description of persistent climatic anomalies in a 1000-year climatic model simulation. Climate Dynamics 17: 717–733. .
- 2004. The stationarity of global mean climate. International Journal of Climatology 24: 795–806. .
- 2006. Climatological extremes of simulated annual mean rainfall. Journal of Climate 19: 5289–5304. .
- 2007. Climatic outliers. International Journal of Climatology 27: 139–156. .
- 2009. Multi-annual dry episodes in Australian climatic variability. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1715–1730. .
- 2003. Secular variability of ENSO events in a 1000-year climatic simulation. Climate Dynamics 20: 689–703. , .
- 2005. A simulation of the climatic conditions associated with the collapse of the Maya civilization. Climatic Change 69: 393–407. , .
- 2006. ENSO evaluation and teleconnections in IPCC's twentieth-century climate simulations: realistic representations. Journal of Climate 19: 4360–4377. , .
- 2006. Climate impacts of the Atlantic multidecadal oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L17706, DOI: 10.1029/2006 GLO26242. , , .
- 2003. Pacific decadal oscillation and variability of the Indian summer monsoon rainfall. Climate Dynamics 21: 233–242. , .
- 1996. Greater drought intensity and frequency before AD 1200 in the Northern Great Plains. Nature 384: 552–555. , , , .
- 2007. Severe and sustained drought in southern California and the West: present conditions and insights from the past on causes and impacts. Quaternary International 173–174: 87–100. .
- 1993. The CSIRO 9-level atmospheric general circulation model. CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research. Technical Paper No. 26; 89. , , , , .
- 2004. The UK drought of 2003: a hydrological review. Weather 59: 224–230. .
- 2006. Megadroughts in the Indian monsoon region and southwest North America and a mechanism for associated multidecadal Pacific sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 19: 1605–1623. , .
- 2007. Medieval drought in the upper Colorado River Basin. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L10705, DOI: 10.1029/2007 GL029988. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Cultural responses to climate change during the Holocene. Science 29: 667–673. .
- 2007. Abrupt changes in rainfall during the twentieth century. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L06710, DOI:10.1029/2006 GL028628. , , , .
- 1999. Interdecadal modulation of the impact of ENSO on Australia. Climate Dynamics 125: 319–324. , , , , .
- 2008. Nature and causes of the 2002 to 2004 drought in southwestern United States compared with the historic 1953 to 1957 drought. Climate Research 36: 41–52. , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with El Nino/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 2004a. Causes of long-term drought in the US Great Plains. Journal of Climate 17: 485–503. , , , , .
- 2004b. On the cause of the 1930s Dust Bowl. Science 303: 1855–1859. , , , , .
- 2005. Modelling of tropical forcing of persistent droughts and pluvials over western North America: 1856–2000. Journal of climate 18: 4065–4088. , , , , .
- 2007. A 900-year (600 to 1500 A.D.) record of the India summer monsoon precipitation from the core monsoon zone of India. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L16707, DOI: 10.1029/2007 GLO30431. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Tree-ring data document 16th century megadrought over North America. EOS Transactions 81:121, 125. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Extreme and persistent drought in California and Patagonia during medieval time. Nature 369: 546–549. .
- 2000. Drought and dust deposition in the West African Sahel: a 5500-year record from Kajemarum Oasis. The Holocene 10: 293–302. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Atlantic forcing of North American and European summer climate:. Science 309: 115–118. , .
- 2007. Climate response to basin-scale warming and cooling of the North Atlantic ocean. Journal of Climate 20: 891–907. , .
- 2006. Atlantic hurricanes and natural variability in 2005. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L12704, DOI: 10.1029/2006 GL026894. , .
- 1998. 2000 years of drought variability in the central United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 2693–2714. , .