Secular and seasonal variations of winter monsoon weather patterns in Japan since the early 20th century
Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 15, pages 2330–2337, December 2011
How to Cite
Hirano, J. and Matsumoto, J. (2011), Secular and seasonal variations of winter monsoon weather patterns in Japan since the early 20th century. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 2330–2337. doi: 10.1002/joc.2241
- Issue online: 25 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 14 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 29 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Received: 15 MAR 2010
- 1986. A homogeneity test applied to precipitation data. Journal of Climatology 6: 661–675. .
- 1982. Some methods for testing the homogeneity of rainfall records. Journal of Hydrology 58: 11–27. .
- 2000. The interannual variability of East Asian winter monsoon and its relation to the summer monsoon. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 17: 48–60. , , .
- 2006. Long-term changes of heavy precipitation and dry weather in Japan (1901–2004). Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 84: 1033–1046. , .
- 2001. East Asian winter monsoon and Arctic oscillation. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 2073–2076. , , .
- 2008. Reconstruction of winter climate variations during the 19th century in Japan. International Journal of Climatology 28: 1423–1434. , .
- 2006. Impact of global warming on the East Asian winter monsoon as revealed by nine coupled atmosphere-ocean GCMs. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L03713. DOI: 10.1029/2005GL024961. , .
- 2000. Impact of global warming on the Asian winter monsoon in a coupled GCM. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 4607–4624. , , .
- 2003. Secular and seasonal variations of sunshine duration and the natural seasons in Japan. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1219–1234. , .
- 2007. Abrupt climate changes observed in late August over central Japan between 1983 and 1984. Journal of Climate 20: 4957–4967. , .
- 2004. A new East Asian winter monsoon index and associated characteristics of the winter monsoon. Journal of Climate 17: 711–726. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1938. A new measure of rank correlation. Biometrika 30: 1219–1234. .
- 2005. Simulated change of the east Asian circulation under the global warming scenario. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L16701. DOI: 10. 1029/2005GL023383. .
- 2009. Detection of pressure patterns using support vector machine: winter type pressure pattern. Geographical Review of Japan 82: 323–331 (in Japanese with English abstract). , , , .
- 1995. Precipitation variations over the north-eastern part of Japan on a scale of one or several hundred kilometres during winter monsoon periods. Tenki 42: 85–96 (in Japanese). , , .
- 1971. A combination of Wilcoxon's and Ansari–Bradley's statistics. Biometrica 58: 213–217. .
- 1967. Natural seasons and weather singularity in Japan. Geographical Reports of Tokyo Metropolitan University 2: 77–103. .
- 1993. Climatic reconstruction in central Japan during the Little Ice Age based on documentary sources. Journal of Geography 102: 152–166 (in Japanese with English abstract). .
- 2002. Interannual and decadal modulations recently observed in the Pacific storm track activity and east Asian winter monsoon. Journal of Climate 15: 1855–1874. , , .
- 2005. Observed trends and teleconnections of the Siberian high: a recently declining canter of action. Journal of Climate 18: 1411–1422. , , , .
- 1979. A non-parametric approach to the change point detection. Applied Statistics 28: 126–135. .
- 1961. On the regions of winter precipitation in Japan. Geographical Review of Japan 34: 321–326 (in Japanese with German abstract). .
- 1962. Classification of Japanese climates. Geographical Review of Japan 35: 205–211 (in Japanese with English abstract). .
- 1988. Distribution of winter precipitation brought about by the passage of depressions over the Japanese Islands. Geographical Review of Japan 53: 18–28 (in Japanese with English abstract). .
- 2009. Interdecadal variations of the East Asian winter monsoon and their association with quasi-stationary planetary wave activity. Journal of Climate 22: 4860–4872. , , , , .
- 1999. Decadal changes in the atmospheric circulation and associated surface climate variations in the Northern Hemisphere winter. Journal of Climate 12: 494–510. , .
- 2005. Discrepancy of interdecadal changes in the Asian region among the NCEP-NCAR reanalysis, objective analyses, and observations. Journal of Climate 18: 3048–3067. , , .
- 1988. Climatic variations in recent years from the viewpoint of the seasonal transition of prevailing pressure pattern types over east Asia. Geographical Review of Japan 61: 381–403 (in Japanese with English abstract). .
- 2002. Pressure pattern calendar. In Climate in Japan I, Yoshino MM (ed). Ninomiya shyoten: Tokyo; 1981–2000 (in Japanese). , .
- 2002. Variations of the East Asian jet stream and Asian-Pacific-American winter climate anomalies. Journal of Climate 15: 306–325. , , .
- 2002. Regime shifts found in the Northern Hemisphere SST field. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 80: 119–135. , .
- 2008. Interannual winter temperature variations over Japan and their relation to large-scale atmospheric circulation field. Tenki 55: 17–26 (in Japanese with English abstract). , .
- 2008. Collaborative effects of cold surge and tropical depression-type disturbance on heavy rainfall in central Vietnam. Monthly Weather Review 136: 3275–3287. , .
- 1992. Discontinuous precipitation in Japan after 1900 detected by the Lepage test. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 95–104. .
- 1993. Detection of long-term trend, cyclic variation and step-like change detected by the Lepage test. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 71: 415–418. .
- 1993. Historical weather data base and reconstruction of climate in historical time. Journal of Geography 102: 131–143 (in Japanese with English abstract). .
- 1977. The divisions and characteristics of the natural seasons of Japan. Geographical Review of Japan 50: 635–651 (in Japanese with English abstract). , .