Links between tropical indices and southern Australian rainfall
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 33–40, January 2012
How to Cite
Smith, I. N. and Timbal, B. (2012), Links between tropical indices and southern Australian rainfall. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 33–40. doi: 10.1002/joc.2251
- Issue online: 3 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JUN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 12 JAN 2010
- 1993. Circulation features associated with the winter rainfall decrease in southwestern Australia. Journal of Climate 6: 1356–1367. , .
- 2001. Is there an Indian Ocean dipole, and is it independent of the El Niño—Southern Oscillation ? CLIVAR Exchanges Newsletter (September 2001). , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Variability in the tropical southeast Indian Ocean and links with southeast Australian winter rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3977–3980. , , .
- 2007. El Niño Modoki and its possible teleconnection. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: C11007, DOI:10.1029/2006JC003798. , , , , .
- 2008. Dynamics of late autumn rainfall reduction over southeastern Australia. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L09708, DOI:10.1029/2008GL033 727. , .
- 2009. Positive Indian Ocean Dipole events precondition southeast Australia bushfires. Geophysical Research Letters 36: 19710, DOI:10.1029/2009GL039902. , , .
- 1993a. An analysis of Australian seasonal rainfall anomalies: 1950–1987. II: Temporal variability and teleconnection patterns. International Journal of Climate 13: 111–149. .
- 1993b. Potential predictability of winter rainfall over southern and eastern Australia using Indian Ocean sea-surface temperature anomalies. Australian Meteorological, Magazine 42: 1–6. .
- 2006. Interannual rainfall extremes over Southwest Western Australia linked to Indian Ocean climate variability. Journal of Climate 19: 1948–1969. , , .
- 1999. Multidecadal simulations of Australian rainfall variability: the role of SSTs. Journal of Climate 12: 357–379. , , , .
- 2006. Shifts in the synoptic systems influencing southwest Western Australia. Climate Dynamics 26: 751–764. , , .
- 2008. Successful prediction of the consecutive IOD in 2006 and 2007. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L14S02, DOI:10.1029/2007GL032793. , , , , .
- 2006. Association between Australian rainfall and the Southern Annular Mode. International Journal of Climate 27(1): 109–121. , , .
- 2007. The years of El Niño, La Niña and interactions with the tropical Indian Ocean. Journal of Climate 20: 2872–2880. , , , .
- 1989. Sea surface temperatures and Australian winter rainfall. Journal of Climate 2: 965–973. .
- 2009. Local and remote causes of the southern Australian autumn-winter rainfall decline, 1958–2007. Climate Dynamics DOI:10.1007/s00382-009-0527-6. .
- 2007. Weakening of the Walker Circulation and apparent dominance of El Nino both reach record levels, but has ENSO really changed? Geophysical Research Letters 34: L18702, DOI:10.1029/2007GL030854. , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 2007. Recent widening of the tropical belt: Evidence from tropopause observations. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: D20113. , .
- 1994. Indian ocean sea-surface temperature patterns and Australian winter rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 14: 287–305. .
- 2004. An assessment of recent trends in Australian rainfall. Australian Meteorological Magazine 53: 163–173. .
- 2000. Southwest Western Australian winter rainfall and its association with Indian Ocean climate variability. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1913–1930. , , , , .
- 1988. Relationships between Indian Ocean Sea Surface Temperature and the Rainfall of Sri Lanka. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 66(1): 103–112. .
- 2007. Compare documented climate changes with those attributable to specific causes. South-Eastern Australian Climate Initiative (SEACI), final report for project 1.1.2, pp 19. , , , , , .
- 2009. Improved detection of the recent rainfall decline across SEA including its seasonality and spatial characteristics. South-Eastern Australian Climate Initiative (SEACI), final report for project 1.2.1P, pp 18. , .
- 2008. Anomalous rainfall over southwest Western Australia forced by Indian Ocean sea surface temperatures. Journal of Climate 21: 5113–5134. , , , .
- 2009. What causes southeast Australia's worst droughts? Geophysical Research Letters 36: L04706, DOI:10.1029/2008GL036801, 2009. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Sensitivity of Australian rainfall to inter-El Nino variations. Journal of Climate 20: 4211–4226. , .
- 2001. Wind-induced rainfall and surface temperature anomalies in the Australian region. Journal of Climate 14: 1901–1922. .
- 1999. Coupled ocean-atmosphere dynamics in the Indian Ocean during 1997-98. Nature 401: 356–360. , , , .
- 1990a. Relationships between monthly anomalies of sea-surface temperature and sea level pressure in the Australian region. Australian Meteorological Magazine 38: 17–30. .
- 1990b. Relationships between monthly anomalies of Australian region sea-surface temperature and Victorian rainfall. Australian Meteorological Magazine 38: 31–41. .