Variations and prediction of the annual number of tropical cyclones affecting Korea and Japan
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 2, pages 178–189, February 2012
How to Cite
Goh, A. Z.-C. and Chan, J. C. L. (2012), Variations and prediction of the annual number of tropical cyclones affecting Korea and Japan. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 178–189. doi: 10.1002/joc.2258
- Issue online: 16 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 12 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Received: 12 NOV 2009
- 1993. A degeneracy in cross-validated skill in regression-based forecasts. Journal of Climate 6: 963–977. , .
- 1998. Effect of El Niño on U.S. landfalling hurricanes, revisited. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. 79: 2477–2482. , , , , .
- 2004. Asymmetric distribution of convection associated with tropical cyclones making landfall along the South China coast. Monthly Weather Review. 132: 2410–2420. , , , .
- 1985. Tropical cyclone activity in the northwest Pacific in relation to the El Niño/Southern Oscillation phenomenon. Monthly Weather Review. 113: 599–606. .
- 2000. Tropical cyclone activity over the Western North Pacific associated with El Niño and La Niña events. Journal of Climate. 13: 2960–2972. .
- 2005. Interannual and interdecadal variations of tropical cyclone activity over the Western North Pacific. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89: 143–152. .
- 2009. Inter-annual and inter-decadal variations of landfalling tropical cyclones in East Asia. Part I: time series analysis. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1285–1293. , .
- 2009. Statistical model for seasonal prediction of tropical cyclone frequency around Korea. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 45: 21–32. , , .
- 2010a. An improved statistical scheme for the prediction of tropical cyclones making landfall in South China. Weather and Forecasting 25: 587–593. , .
- 2010b. Interannual and interdecadal variations of tropical cyclone activity in the South China Sea. International Journal of Climatology 30: 827–843. , .
- 1968. Global view of the origin of tropical disturbances and storms. Monthly Weather Review. 96: 669–700. .
- 1979. Tropical cyclone intensity determination through upper-troposphere aircraft reconnaissance. Bulletin Of the American Meteorological Society. 60: 1069–1074. .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the Americla Meteorological Society. 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A simple empirical model for predicting the decay of tropical cyclone winds after landfall. Journal of Applied Meteorology. 34: 2499–2512. , .
- 2009. Seasonal prediction of summertime tropical cyclone activity over the East China Sea using the least absolute deviation regression and the Poisson regression. International Journal of Climatology. DOI:10.1002/joc.1878. , , , .
- 2008. Structure and evolution of rainfall in numerically simulated landfalling hurricanes. Monthly Weather Review. 136: 3822–3847. .
- 1997. Seasonal prediction models for North Atlantic basin hurricane location. Monthly Weather Review. 125: 1780–1791. , , .
- 1988. Actions of typhoons over the western Pacific (including the South China Sea) and El Niño. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 5: 107–115. .
- 2003. Climatological characteristics and seasonal forecasting of tropical cyclones making landfall along the South China Coast. Monthly Weather Review. 131: 1650–1662. , .
- 2008. Interdecadal variability of Western North Pacific tropical cyclone tracks. Journal of Climate 21: 4464–4476. , .
- 1987. Cross-validation in statistical climate forecast models. Journal of Climate and Applied Meterology 26: 1589–1600. .
- 2007. Relationship between tropospheric circulation over the Western North Pacific and tropical cyclone approach/landfall on Japan. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 85: 101–114. , .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of Empirical Orthogonal Functions. Monthly Weather Review. 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 2000. Statistical significance of trends and trend differences in layer-average atmospheric temperature time series. Journal of Geophysical Research. 105: 7337–7356. , , , , , , , .
- 1973. The hurricane's inner core region. I. Symmetric and asymmetric structure. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 30: 1544–1564. , .
- 2002. Variations of the East Asian jet stream and Asian–Pacific–American winter climate anomalies. Journal of Climate 15: 306–325. , , .
- 1997. The definition of El Niño. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. 78: 2771–2777. .
- 2002. How strong ENSO events affect tropical storm activity over the Western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 15: 1643–1658. , .
- 2006. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, (2nd edn), Academic Press: St Louis, MO, USA. .
- 2004. Impacts of El Niño–Southern Oscillation events on tropical cyclone landfalling activity in the Western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 17: 1419–1428. , , .
- 2005. Discrepancy of interdecadal changes in the Asian region among the NCEP–NCAR reanalysis, objective analyses, and observations. Journal of Climate 18: 3048–3067. , , .