Interannual variation of Southern Hemisphere tropical cyclone activity and seasonal forecast of tropical cyclone number in the Australian region
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 2, pages 190–202, February 2012
How to Cite
Liu, K. S. and Chan, J. C. L. (2012), Interannual variation of Southern Hemisphere tropical cyclone activity and seasonal forecast of tropical cyclone number in the Australian region. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 190–202. doi: 10.1002/joc.2259
- Issue online: 16 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 12 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Received: 21 DEC 2009
- 1998. The relationship between tropical cyclones near Western Australia and the Southern Oscillation Index. Australian Meteorological Magazine 47: 183–189. , .
- 1998. Seasonal forecasting of tropical cyclone activity over the western North Pacific and the South China Sea. Weather Forecasting 13: 997–1004. , , .
- 2007. Effect of ENSO on Queensland seasonal landfalling tropical cyclone activity. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1327–1334. , .
- 1981. Projection pursuit regression. Journal of the American Statistical Association 76: 817–823. , .
- 2010. Interannual variability of Northwest Australian tropical cyclones. Journal of Climate 23: 4538–4555. , .
- 2001. Interdecadal variability in north-east Australian tropical cyclone formation. Atmospheric Science Letters 2: 9–17. , .
- 2010. A technique for combining global tropical cyclone best track data. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 27: 680–692. , , .
- 2008. On tropical cyclone activity in the Southern Hemisphere: Trends and the ENSO connection. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L14S08, DOI:10.1029/2007GL032983. , , , .
- 2004. A Poisson regression model approach to predicting tropical cyclogenesis in the Australian/southwest Pacific Ocean region using the SOI and saturated equivalent potential temperature gradient as predictors. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L20110, DOI:10.1029/2004GL020843. , .
- 1979. A possible method for predicting seasonal tropical cyclone activity in the Australian region. Monthly Weather Review 107: 1221–1224. .
- 1984. The southern oscillation, sea-surface temperature, and interannual fluctuations in Australian tropical cyclone activity. Journal of Climatology 4: 661–670. .
- 1985. Predictability of interannual variations in Australian seasonal tropical cyclone, activity. Monthly Weather Review 113: 1144–1149. .
- 1992. Recent performance of a method for forecasting tropical cyclone activity. Australian Meteorological Magazine 40: 105–110. .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions. Monthly Weather Review 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 2008. Interannual variability of tropical cyclones in the Australian region: role of large-scale environment. Journal of Climate 21: 1083–1103. , , , , .
- 2003. Possible impacts of Indian Ocean Dipole Mode events on global climate. Climate Research 25: 151–169. , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press Diego CA: pp. 467. .