Transient changes in flood frequency and timing in Britain under potential projections of climate change
Version of Record online: 4 JAN 2011
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 4, pages 489–502, 30 March 2012
How to Cite
Kay, A. L. and Jones, D. A. (2012), Transient changes in flood frequency and timing in Britain under potential projections of climate change. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 489–502. doi: 10.1002/joc.2288
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 16 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Received: 12 FEB 2010
- 1972. Statistical inference under order restrictions; the theory and application of isotonic regression. Wiley: New York. , , , .
- 2007. Development of a high resolution grid-based river flow model for use with regional climate model output. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 11: 532–549. , , , .
- 2009. Use of soil data in a grid-based hydrological model to estimate spatial variation in changing flood risk across the UK. Journal of Hydrology 377: 335–350. , , , , .
- 2010. Estimating potential evaporation from vegetated surfaces for water management impact assessments using climate model output. Submitted to Journal of Hydrometeorology. , , , , , .
- 1999. The impact of new land surface physics on the GCM simulation of climate and climate sensitivity. Climate Dynamics 15: 183–203. , , , , , .
- 1980. Amalgamation of Means in the Case of Simple Ordering. Applied Statistics 29: 209–211. .
- 2009. Regionalised impacts of climate change on flood flows: hydrological models, catchments and calibration. Report to Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, FD2020 milestone report, CEH Wallingford, November 2009, 53 pp. , , .
- 1997. Bootstrap Methods and their Application. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 2004. Simulated hydrologic responses to climate variations and change in the Merced, Carson, and American river basins, Sierra Nevada, California, 1900–2099. Climatic Change 62: 283–317. , , , .
- 2003. A regional frequency analysis of United Kingdom extreme rainfall from 1961 to 2000. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1313–1334. , .
- 2007. Using regional climate model data to simulate historical and future river flows in northwest England. Climatic Change 80: 337–367. , .
- 2010. Detecting changes in seasonal precipitation extremes using regional climate model projections: Implications for managing fluvial flood risk. Water Resources Research 46: W03525, DOI:10.1029/2008WR007636. , .
- 2007a. Assessing climate change impacts on hydrology from an ensemble of regional climate models, model scales and linking methods—a case study on the Lule River basin. Climatic Change 81: 293–307. , , .
- 2007b. On interpreting hydrological change from regional climate models. Climatic Change 81: 97–122. , , , .
- 2006. An assessment of trends in UK runoff and low flows using a network of undisturbed catchments. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1237–1253. , .
- 2007. High-flow and flood trends in a network of undisturbed catchments in the UK. International Journal of Climatology 28: 1325–1338. , .
- 2007. An assessment of runoff trends in natural catchments in the Celtic regions of North West Europe. In: Water in Celtic countries: quantity, quality and climate variability, Lobo Ferreira JP, Viera JMP (eds). Proceedings of the Fourth InterCeltic Colloquium on hydrology and management of water resources, Guimaraes, Portugal, 2005. Wallingford, IAHS Press: 78–85. (IAHS Red Book, 310). , , .
- 1996. The Meteorological Office Rainfall and Evaporation Calculation System: MORECS version 2.0 (1995). An update to Hydrological Memorandum 45. The Met. Office: Bracknell. , , , , .
- 2002. Climate Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCIP02 Scientific Report. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia: Norwich, UK. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- IPCC. 2000. Special report on emissions scenarios (SRES): A special report of Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 2006a. RCM rainfall for UK flood frequency estimation. II. Climate change results. Journal of Hydrology 318: 163–172. , , .
- 2006b. RCM rainfall for UK flood frequency estimation. II. Methods and validation. Journal of Hydrology 318: 151–162. , , .
- 2007. An investigation of site-similarity approaches to generalisation of a rainfall-runoff model. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 11: 500–515. , , , , .
- 2009. Comparison of uncertainty sources for climate change impacts: flood frequency in England. Climatic Change, 92: 41–63, DOI:10.1007/s10584-008-9471-4. , , , .
- 2008. Advancing decadal-scale climate prediction in the North Atlantic sector. Nature 453: 84–88. , , , , .
- 2008. Robustness of future changes in local precipitation extremes. Journal of Climate 21: 4280–4297. , , , .
- 2007. Humans and nature dual over the next decade's climate. Science 317: 746–747. .
- 2004. Change detection in hydrological records—a review of the methodology. Hydrological Sciences Journal 49: 7–19. , .
- 1965. Evaporation and environment. Symposia of the Society for Experimental Biology 19: 205–234. .
- 1985. The probability-distributed principle and runoff production at point and basin scales. Hydrological Sciences Journal 30: 273–297. .
- 2007. The PDM rainfall-runoff model. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 11: 483–499. .
- 2005. Forecasting for flood warning. Comptes Rendus Geoscience 337: 203–217. , , .
- 2003. Automation and appraisal of the FEH statistical procedures for flood frequency estimation. Report to UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and the Environment Agency, Project FD1603 technical report, CEH Wallingford, October 2003, 207 pp. .
- 2009. UK Climate Projections Science Report: Climate change projections. Met Office Hadley Centre: Exeter. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The impact of new physical parametrizations in the Hadley Centre climate model: HadAM3. Climate Dynamics 16: 123–146. , , , .
- 2002. Downscaling from global climate models for flood frequency analysis: where are we now? Hydrological Processes 16: 1137–1150. , , .
- 2009. Assessing uncertainties in climate change impact analyses on river flow regimes in the UK. Part 2: future climate. Climatic Change 93: 197–222, DOI:10.1007/s10584-008-9461-6. , .
- 2004. Impact of climate change on flood flows in river catchments. Report to the UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and the Environment Agency, Project W5-032 technical report, CEH Wallingford, March 2004, 97 pp. , , .
- 2002. Evidence for trends in UK flooding. Philosophical Transactions of the Royaal Society of London, Series A 360: 1327–1343, DOI:10.1098/rsta.2002.1003. .
- 1999. Statistical procedures for flood frequency estimation. Vol. 3, Flood Estimation Handbook. Institute of Hydrology: Wallingford, UK, 338 pp. , .
- 2007. Improved surface temperature prediction for the coming decade from a global climate model. Science 317: 796–799. , , , , , .
- 2007. The influence of climate change on stream flow in Danish rivers. Journal of Hydrology 333: 226–238. .
- 1982. The Meteorological Office Rainfall and Evaporation Calculation System: MORECS (July 1981). Hydrological Memorandum No. 45, Met Office: Bracknell. , , .
- 2008. Climate change and fluvial flood risk in the UK: more of the same? Hydrological Processes 22: 2511–2523. , , .
- 2006. A framework for assessing uncertainties in climate change impacts: Low-flow scenarios for the River Thames, UK. Water Resources Research 42: W02419, DOI:10.1029/2005WR004065. , .
- 2008. Natural ups and downs. Nature 453: 43–44. .