Interannual variations of tropical cyclone activity over the north Indian Ocean
Version of Record online: 4 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 6, pages 819–830, May 2012
How to Cite
Ng, E. K. W. and Chan, J. C. L. (2012), Interannual variations of tropical cyclone activity over the north Indian Ocean. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 819–830. doi: 10.1002/joc.2304
- Issue online: 18 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 26 JUL 2010
- 2004. Individual and combined influences of ENSO and the Indian Ocean Dipole on the Indian summer monsoon. Journal of Climatologuy 17: 3141–3155. , .
- 2001. Impact of the Indian Ocean Dipole on the relationship between the Indian Monsoon rainfall and ENSO. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1821, DOI:10.1029/2003GL017926. , , .
- 2004. Decadal variability of the Indian Ocean dipole. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L24207, DOI:10.1029/2004GL021345. , , , .
- 2007. El Niño Modoki and its possible teleconnection. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: C1107, DOI:10.1029/2006JC003798. , , , , .
- 2003. Influence of the Indian Ocean Dipole on the Southern Oscillation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 81: 169–177. , .
- 2000. Climate assessment for 1999. Bulletin of the Amererican Meteorological Society 81: S1–S50. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Large-scale influences on tropical cyclogenesis in the western North Pacific. Monthly Weather Review 125: 1397–1413. , .
- 2007. Interannual variations of intense typhoon activity. Tellus 59A: 455–460. .
- 2009. Thermodynamic control on the climate of intense tropical cyclones. Proceedings of the Royal Societyof London Series A 495: 3011–3021. .
- 2004. Global warming and western North Pacific typhoon activity from an observational perspective. Journal of Climate 17: 4590–4602. , .
- 2010. Different impact of two kinds of Pacific Ocean warming on tropical cyclone frequency over the western North Pacific. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L01803, DOI:10.1029/2009GL041708. , .
- 1989. Tropical cyclones in the Bay of Bengal and CO2 warming. Natural Hazards 2: 387–390. , .
- 2004. On the decreasing frequency of monsoon depressions over the Indian region. Current Science 86(10): 1406–1411. , , .
- 2005. Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclones over the past 30 years. Nature 436: 686–688. .
- 2010. Interannual and interdecadal variations of tropical cyclone activity in the South China Sea. International Journal of Climatology 30: 827–842. , .
- 1968. Global view of the origin of tropical disturbances and storms. Monthly Weather Review 96: 669–700. .
- 1979. Hurricanes: Their formation, structure, and likely role in the tropical circulation. In Meteorology over the Tropical Oceans, Shaw DB (ed.), Royal Meteorological Society: Bracknell, UK; 155–218. .
- 2004. Application of the cross wavelet transform and wavelet coherence to geophysical time series. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 11: 561–566. , , .
- 1999. Application of wavelet transforms in earthquake, wind and ocean engineering. Engineering Structures 21: 149–167. , .
- 2003. First- and higher-order correlation detection using wavelet transforms. Journal of Engineering Mechanics 129: 188–201. , , .
- 2004. Interdecadal changes in summertime typhoon tracks. Journal of Climate 17: 1767–1776. , , , , .
- 2009. Warming SST of Bay of Bengal and decrease in formation of cyclonic disturbances over the Indian region during southwest monsoon season. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 96(3): 327–336. , .
- 1998. Time-frequency variability of ENSO and stochastic simulations. Journal of Climate 11: 2258–2272. , , , .
- 1989. Some Large-scale characteristics associated with tropical cyclone development in the North Indian Ocean during FGGE. Monthly Weather Review 117: 407–426. , , .
- 2008. Interdecadal Variability of Western North Pacific Tropical Cyclone Track. Journal of Climate 21: 4464–4476. , .
- 2003. A study of decreasing storm frequency over Bay of Bengal. Journal of the Indian Geophysical Union 7(2): 53–58. , .
- 2004. Cross wavelet analysis: significance testing and pitfalls. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 11: 505–514. , .
- 2009. Diurnal thermocline oscillations driven by tidal flow around an island in the Middle Adriatic. Journal of Marine Systems 78: S157–S168. , , .
- 2005. Variability of oceanic and atmospheric conditions during active and inactive periods of storms over the Indian region. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1523–1530. .
- 2001. A study of cyclonic disturbances over India and the adjacent oceans. International Journal of Climatology 21: 527–534. , .
- 2000. Decadal variation of sea surface temperatures, cloudiness and monsoon depressions in the north Indian Ocean. Current Science 79(3): 283–285. , , .
- 2001. Interdecadal variations of characteristics of monsoon disturbances and their epochal relationships with rainfall and other tropical features, International Journal of Climatology 21(6): 759–771. , .
- 2003a. Structure of SST and surface wind variability during Indian Ocean Dipole Mode Events: COADS observations. Journal of Climate 16: 2735–2751. , .
- 2003b. Possible impacts of Indian Ocean Dipole mode events on global climate. Climate Research 25: 151–169. , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 2008. Indian Ocean Dipole mode and tropical cyclone frequency. Current Science 94(1): 29–31. .
- 2000. Changes in the frequency of tropical cyclones over the North Indian Ocean. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 75: 11–20. , , .
- 2001. Has the frequency of intense tropical cyclones increased in the north Indian Ocean? Current Science 80(4): 575–580. , , .
- 1976. Spatial and temporal variations of the Southern Oscillation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 102: 639–653. .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 1999. Interdecadal changes in the ENSO-monsoon system. Journal of Climate 12: 2679–2690. , .
- 2002. How Strong ENSO Events Affect Tropical Storm Activity over the Western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 15: 1643–1658. , .
- 1996. Temporal structure of the Southern Oscillation as revealed by waveform and wavelet analysis. Journal of Climate 9: 1586–1598. , .
- 2005. Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment. Science 309: 1844–1846. , , , .
- 2000. Vertical wind shear in relation to frequency of monsoon depressions and tropical cyclones of Indian Seas. Proc. TROPMET-2000, National Symp. On Ocean and Atmosphere, Cochin, India, Indian Meteorological Society, 232–245. , .
- 2009. Response of tropical cyclone potential intensity over the north Indian Ocean to global warming. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L03709, 5. , .
- 2001. Interdecadal variability of tropical cyclone activity in the Western North Pacific. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 79: 23–35. , .