A comparison of statistical downscaling methods suited for wildfire applications
Version of Record online: 17 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 5, pages 772–780, April 2012
How to Cite
Abatzoglou, J. T. and Brown, T. J. (2012), A comparison of statistical downscaling methods suited for wildfire applications. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 772–780. doi: 10.1002/joc.2312
- Issue online: 10 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 17 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 18 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 29 OCT 2010
- NSF Idaho EPSCoR Program
- National Science Foundation
- 2009. 8-km Historical Datasets for FPA, CEFA Report 09-04, June 2009, 7 pp, http://cefa.dri.edu/Publications/FPA_8 km_historical_report.pdf. , .
- 2011. Relative Importance of Weather and Climate on Wildfire Growth in Interior Alaska. International Journal of Wildland Fire (in press). http://www.publish.csiro.au/view/journals/dsp_journals_pip_abstract.cfm?nid = 114&ver = 2&pip = WF 10046. , .
- 2009. Classification of Regional Climate Variability in the State of California. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 48(8): 1527–1541. , , .
- 2010. Downscaling Precipitation Extremes: Correction of Analog Models through PDF Predictions. Theoretical and Applied Climatology DOI:10.1007/s00704-009-0158-1. .
- 2009. Understanding the Characteristics of Daily Precipitation over the United States Using the North American Regional Reanalysis. Journal Climate 22: 6268–6286. DOI: 10.1175/2009JCLI2838.1. , , .
- 2007. Investigation of the Summer Climate of the Contiguous U.S. and Mexico Using the Regional Atmospheric Modeling System (RAMS). Part I: Model Climatology (1950–2002). Journal of Climate 20: 3844–3865. , , .
- 2006. Synoptic Climatology of Extreme Fire Weather Conditions across the Southwest United States. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1001–1016. .
- 1994. A Statistical-Topographic Model for Mapping Climatological Precipitation over Mountanious Terrain. Journal of Applied Meteorology 33: 140–158. , , .
- 1977. The National Fire Danger Rating System—1978. General Technical Report INT-39. Ogden, UT: USDA Forest Service Intermountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. p. 63. , , .
- 2008. Constructing Retrospective Gridded Daily Precipitation and Temperature Datasets for the Conterminous United States. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 47: 475–497. , , , , .
- 1998. FARSITE: Fire Area Simulator—model development and evaluation. Research Paper, RMRS-RP-4. USDA Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 47. .
- 1988. A study of the relation of meteorological variables to monthly provincial area burned by wildfire in Canada 1953–80. Journal of Applied Meteorology 27: 441–452. , .
- 2009. Impact of climate change on fire activity and fire management in the circumboreal forest. Global Change Biology 15: 549–560, DOI:10.1111/J.1365–2486.2008.01660.X. , , , .
- 1978. Weather in Wildland Fire Management: The Fire Weather Index. Proceedings of Conference on Sierra Nevada Meteorology, June 19–21, American Meteorological Society: Lake Tahoe, CA; pp. 1–4. .
- 2007. Linking climate change modelling to impacts studies: recent advances in downscaling techniques for hydrological modelling. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1547–1578. , , .
- 2008. Downscaling with constructed analogues—Daily precipitation and temperature fields over the United States: California Energy Commission PIER Final Project Report CEC-500-2007-123; p. 48. , , ,
- 2010. Local and synoptic mechanisms causing Southern California's Santa Ana winds. Climate Dynamics 34: 847–857, DOI:10.1007/s00382-009-0650-4. , .
- 2009. Global climate change impacts in the United States. Cambridge University Press: New York. , , .
- 2010. The changing potential of wilderness fire in the 21st century. Aldo Leopold Final Project Report; CEFA Report 10-03, p. 65. , , .
- 2010. Beyond wildfire: perspectives of climate, managed fire and policy in the USA. International Journal of Wildland Fire 19: 364–373. , .
- 2009. Climate and wildfire area burned in western U.S. ecoprovinces, 1916–2003. Ecological Applications 19(4): 1003–1021. , , , .
- 2008. Utility of daily vs. monthly large-scale climate data: an intercomparison of two statistical downscaling methods. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 12: 551–563. , .
- 2010. Assessing climate change impacts on daily streamflow in California: the utility of daily GCM output. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 14: 1125–1138, DOI:10.5194/hess-14-1125-2010. , , , , .
- 2004. Climatic change, wildfire, and conservation. Conservation Biology 18: 890–902, DOI:10.1111/J.1523–1739.2004.00492.X. , , , .
- 2006. North American Regional Reanalysis. Bulletin of the American eteorological Society 87: 43–360. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Spatial variation in extreme winds predicts large wildfire locations in chaparral ecosystems. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L04801, DOI:10.1029/2009GL041735. , , , , .
- 2010. Future climate in the Pacific Northwest. Climatic Change DOI:10.1007/s10584-010-9848-z. , .
- 2000. Impacts of extreme weather and climate on terrestrial biota. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 443–50. , , .
- 2006. Climate and Climate Change over North America as Simulated by the Canadian RCM. Journal of Climate 19: 3112–3132, DOI:10.1175/JCLI3769.1. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Characteristics of lightning and wildland fire ignition in the Pacific Northwest. Journal of Applied Meteorology 38: 1565–1575. , .
- 2007. Review of scenario selection and downscaling methods for the assessment of climate change impacts on hydrology in the United States Pacific Northwest. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1611–1621, DOI:10.1002/joc.1540. , , .
- 2009. A high-resolution climate model for the United States pacific northwest: Mesoscale feedbacks and local responses to climate change. Journal of Climate 21: 5708–5726. , , , .
- 2010. Synoptic climatology and the general circulation model. Progress in Physical Geography 34: 101, DOI:10.1177/0309133309357012. , .
- 2006. An evaluation of two GCMs: Simulation of North American teleconnection indices and synoptic phenomena. International Journal of Climatology 26: 267–282. , .
- 2009. An overview of mountain meteorological effects relevant to fire behaviour and bushfire risk. International Journal of Wildland Fire 18: 737–754. .
- 2007. ERA-Interim: New ECMWF reanalysis products from 1989 onwards. ECMWF Newsletter 110: 25–35. , , , .
- 1990. Climatic Control of Vegetation Distribution—the Role of the Water-Balance. American Naturalist 135: 649–670. .
- 1990. Fire-Southern Oscillation relations in the southwestern United States. Science 249:DOI:10.1126/science. 249.4972.1017. , .
- 2009. Generalization of a statistical downscaling model to provide local climate change projections for Australia. Environmental Modelling & Software 23(3): 341–358, DOI:10.1016/j.envsoft.2008.07.007. , , .
- 1992. Predicting the impact of global warming on wildfire. Climatic Change 21: 257–274. , .
- 2000. Validation of Mesoscale Precipitation in the NCEP Reanalysis Using a New Gridcell Dataset for the Northwestern United States. Journal of Climate 13: 1936–1950. , .
- 2003. Statistical precipitation downscaling over the northwestern United States using numerically simulated precipitation as a predictor. Journal of Climate 16: 799–816. , , .
- 2004. Hydrologic implications of dynamical and statistical approaches to downscaling climate model outputs, Climatic Change 62: 189–216. , , , .
- 1999. The analog method—a simple statistical downscaling technique: comparison with more complicated methods. Journal of Climate 12: 2474–2489. , .