Intra-seasonal variability over the northeastern highlands of Tanzania
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 6, pages 874–887, May 2012
How to Cite
Kijazi, A. L. and Reason, C. J. C. (2012), Intra-seasonal variability over the northeastern highlands of Tanzania. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 874–887. doi: 10.1002/joc.2315
- Issue online: 18 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 3 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Received: 22 FEB 2010
- 1978. The occurrence of dry spells during the East African long rains. Research report No. 5/78, E.A Institute for Meteorology, 1–18. , .
- 1993. Tropical Meteorology 1: 120. .
- 1999. Importance of the Indian Ocean for simulating rainfall anomalies over eastern and southern Africa. Journal of Geophysical Research 104(D16): 19099–19116. , .
- 2006. Interannual variability in dry and wet spell characteristics over Zambia. Climate Research 32: 49–62. , .
- 1998. Arabian Sea Surface winds and Ocean transports determined from ERS-1 Scattereometer. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 7799–7805. , , .
- 1993. Atmospheric hydrospheric mechanisms of climate anomalies in the western equatorial Indian Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research 98(C 11): 20219–20235. , , .
- 2007. Diagnosing the 2005 Drought in Equatorial East Africa. Journal of Climatology 20: 4628–4637. , , .
- 2000. ENSO signals in East African rainfall seasons. International Journal of Climatology 20: 19–46. , , .
- 1987. Spatial and temporal characteristics of drought in Eastern and Southern Africa. MSc Thesis, University of Nairobi. .
- 1988. An investigation of interannual rainfall variability in Africa. Journal of Climatology 1: 240–255. .
- 1995. Seasonal and intraseasonal dynamics and precursors of rainfall over northern Tanzania. MSc thesis University of Cape Town. .
- 1999. Inter-annual variability of short rains over northern Tanzania. Climate Research 13: 231–241. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Relationships between intraseasonal rainfall variability of coastal Tanzania and ENSO. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 82: 153–176. , .
- 2009a. Analysis of the 2006 floods over northern Tanzania. International Journal of Climatology 29: 955–970. , .
- 2009b. Analysis of the 1998–2005 drought over the north-eastern highlands of Tanzania; an observational study: Climate Research 38: 209–223. , .
- 2010. Air-Sea Interaction over the upwelling region of the Somali coast. Jpournal of Geophysical Research 115: C01001, DOI:10.1029/2009JC005439. , .
- 2005a. Interannual rainfall variability over western Tanzania. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1355–1368. , .
- 2005b. Links between rainfall variability on intraseasonal and interannual scales over western Tanzania and regional circulation and SST patterns. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89: 215–234. , .
- 1987. The onset and end of rain in Tanzania. Proc. 1st Technical Conference on Meteorological Research in Eastern and Southern Africa, Nairobi; pp. 101–115. , .
- 1998. Towards the prediction of the East Africa short rains based on sea-surface temperature-atmosphere coupling. International Journal of Climatology 18: 975–997. , , .
- 2001. Seasonal rainfall outlook for Tanzania. Tanzania Meteorological Agency research report, September, 2001. .
- 1997. The relationship of the El Nino-Southern Oscillation to African Rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 17: 117–135. , .
- 1988. Relationship between seasonal rainfall in East Africa and Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climatology 8: 34–43. .
- 1984. Drought patterns and famines in East Africa during 1922–1983. The second WMO symposium on meteorological aspects of Tropical droughts. Fu. 1984: 41–44. , .
- 2000. ENSO and Climatic signals across the Indian Ocean basin in the global context. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1285–1327. , , , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 2004. Dry spell frequencies and their variability over southern Africa. Climate Research 26: 199–211. , .
- 1994. Surface conditions associated with the anomalous rainfall in the Guinea Coastal region. International Journal of Climatology 14: 179–199. , .
- 1999. Coupled ocean-atmosphere dynamics of the Indian Ocean during 1997-98. Nature 401: 356–360. , , , .
- 1973. An equatorial jet in the Indian Ocean. Science 181(4096): 262–264. .
- 1997. Global precipitation: A 17-year monthly analysis based on Gauge observations, satellite estimates and numerical model outputs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2539–2558. , .