Quantifying the benefits of a long-lead ENSO prediction model to enhance harvest management—A case study for the Herbert sugarcane growing region, Australia
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 7, pages 1069–1076, 15 June 2012
How to Cite
Everingham, Y. L., Stoeckl, N. E., Cusack, J. and Osborne, J. A. (2012), Quantifying the benefits of a long-lead ENSO prediction model to enhance harvest management—A case study for the Herbert sugarcane growing region, Australia. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 1069–1076. doi: 10.1002/joc.2333
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 10 NOV 2010
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAY 2010
- James Cook University
- Australian Government through the Sugar Research and Development Corporation
- 2002. Financial Benefits From Using Climate Forecasting—A Case Study. Proceedings of the Australian Society of Sugar Cane Technologists 24: 153–159. , , .
- 1992. Statistical Models in S. Wadsworth & Brooks/ Cole Advanced Books & Software. Pacific Grove, California. ISBN : 0-534-16764-0. , .
- 2000. Biennial winds in the far western equatorial Pacific phase-locking El Niño to the seasonal cycle. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 771–774. , .
- 2003. Improving El Niño prediction using a space-time integration of Indo-Pacific winds and equatorial Pacific upper ocean heat content. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 521–524. , .
- 2002a. Seasonal climate forecasts to enhance decision making capability across the sugar industry value chain. Proceedings of the Australian Society of Sugar Cane Technologists 24: 67–74. , , .
- 2002b. Enhanced risk management and decision-making capability across the sugar industry value chain based on seasonal climate forecasts. Agricultural Systems 74: 459–477. , , , , , .
- 2008. Long lead rainfall forecasts for the Australian Sugar Industry. International Journal of Climatology 28: 111–117. , , .
- 2001. Using spatial interpolation to construct a comprehensive archive of Australian climate data. Environmental Modelling and Software 16: 309–330. , , , .
- 1994. Relationship between the southern oscillation index and Australian sugarcane yields. Australian Journal of AgriculturalResearch 45: 1557–1568. .
- 1983. Seasonal relationships between Australian rainfall and the southern oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 111: 1998–2003. , .
- 2004. Pasture degradation and recovery in Australia's rangelands: learning from history. Queensland Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy, Brisbane, Australia. , , , , .
- 2002. An Evaluation of Synthetic Household Populations for Census Collection Districts Created Using Spatial Microsimulation Techniques. Proceedings of the Australia & New Zealand Regional Science Association International Annual Conference, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. , , .
- 2008. Economic value of seasonal climate forecasts for agriculture: review of ex-ante assessments and recommendations for future research. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 47: 1269–1286. , , .
- 1975. Climatic change and the patterns of variation in Australian rainfall. Search 6: 498–504. .
- 2006. Climate prediction and agriculture: current status and future challenges. Climate Research 33: 3–17. .
- 1999. Making climate forecasts matter. National Academy of Sciences. ISBN: 0-309-06475-9. , .
- 1992. SOI phase relationships with rainfall in eastern Australia. International Journal of Climatology 12: 625–636. , .