Special Issue Article
Buoy wind inhomogeneities related to averaging method and anemometer type: application to long time series
Article first published online: 19 APR 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society and Crown in the right of Canada
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Achievements in Marine Climatology
Volume 31, Issue 7, pages 1040–1055, 15 June 2011
How to Cite
Thomas, B. R. and Swail, V. R. (2011), Buoy wind inhomogeneities related to averaging method and anemometer type: application to long time series. Int. J. Climatol., 31: 1040–1055. doi: 10.1002/joc.2339
- Issue published online: 25 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 19 APR 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 7 SEP 2010
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2009
- Axys Environmental Consulting Ltd. 1996. Meteorological and oceanographic measurements from the Canadian weather buoys. A review of sensors, data reduction, transmission, quality control and archival methods. Final report for Environment Canada, Downsview, Ontario, April 1996.
- Axys Environmental Systems. 2000. The Canadian buoy network technical meeting. A review of sea surface temperature measurements, metadata, and wave sensing and processing. Summary report and action items prepared for Environment Canada, Downsview, Ontario, February 2000.
- 1976. Errors in wind run estimates from rotational anemometers. Bulletin of the American Meteorlogical Society 57: 1127–1130, DOI:10.1175/1520-0477(1976)057 < 1127:EIWREF> 2.0.CO;2. .
- 1996. Windsnelheidsmetingen op zeestations en kuststations: herleiding warden windsnelheid naar 10-meter niveau (with an English summary), Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut Technical Report No. 188, KNMI De Bilt 1996. .
- 1990. On trends in historical marine data. Journal of Climate 3: 113–127. , , .
- 2000. Operational system for the Prediction of Tropical Cyclone Generated Winds and Waves. 6th International Workshop of Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting. Nov. 6–10, 2000, Monterey, CA, USA, 158–166. , .
- 2001. A global wave hindcast over the period 1958–1997: Validation and Climate Assessment. Journal of Geophysical Research (Oceans) 106(C2): 2313–2329. , .
- 1987. A field evaluation of NDBC moored buoy winds. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 4: 94–104. .
- 2007. Improvements in National Data Buoy Center Measurements. National Data Buoy Center, Stennis Space Center, MS. P. 4. [online: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/improvements.shtml, page last modified 31 August 2007]. .
- 2002. Temperature, wind and wave climatologies, and trends from marine meteorological buoys in the Northeast Pacific. Journal of Climate 15: 3709–3718. .
- 1980. NOAA Data Buoy Office Programs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 61: 1012–1017. .
- 2008. Hurricane Katrina winds measured by a buoy-mounted sonic anemometer. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 25: 607–616, DOI:10.1175/2007JTECHO518.1. , , , , , .
- National Data Buoy Center. 2009. NDBC Technical Document 09-02. Handbook of Automated Data Quality Control Checks and Procedures. Stennis Space Center, MS, August 2009.
- Oceanweather Inc. 2000. Global Reanalysis of Ocean Waves (GROW) Project Description. Oceanweather Inc, CT, USA. P. 14 + appendices.
- 1968. Some effects of buoy motion on measurement of wind speed and stress. Journal of Geophysical Research 73: 507–512. .
- 1998. Measurement of winds and waves from a NOMAD buoy in high seastates. 5th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting. Jan. 26–30, 1998. Melbourne, FL., pp. 163–173. [available online http://www.waveworkshop.org/]. , , .
- 1999. The Storm Wind Studies (SWS). Proceedings of CLIMAR 99 WMO Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology, Vancouver, 8–15 September 1999, pp. 69–78. , , , .
- 1988. Coefficients for sea surface wind stress, heat flux, and wind profiles as a function of wind speed and temperature. Journal of Geophysical Research 93: 15467–15472, DOI:10.10129/88JC03508. .
- 2002. On the accuracy of wind and wave measurements from buoys. Data Buoy Cooperation Panel Technical Document 21, Proceedings of DBCP Technical and Scientific Workshop, Perth, Oct. 2001. [Available on CD-ROM 2002, on-line 2006 www.jcommops.org/dbcp/doc/DBCP-21/DOCS_DBCP21/27%20Taylor.doc]. , , , , .
- 1999. A Methodology for Homogenizing wind speeds from ships and buoys. Proceedings of CLIMAR 99 WMO Workshop on Advances in Marine Climatology, Vancouver, 8–15 September 1999, pp. 173–188. , .
- 2005. Methods to homogenize wind speeds from ships and buoys. International Journal of Climatology 25: 979–995, DOI:10.1002/joc.1176. , , .
- 2008. Trends in ship wind speeds adjusted for observation method and height. International Journal of Climatology 28: 747–763, DOI:10.1002/joc.1570. , , , and .
- 2004. Measured wind speed trends on the west coast of Canada. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1359–1374. .
- 1988. On theoretical wind speed and temperature profiles over the sea with applications to data from Sable Island, NS. Atmosphere-Ocean 26: 202–233. .
- 2009. Homogenization and trend analysis of Canadian near-surface wind speeds. Journal of Climate 23: 1209–1225, DOI:10.1175/2009JCLI3200.1. , , .
- 2008. Penalized maximal F-test for detecting undocumented mean-shifts without trend-change. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 25(3): 368–384, DOI:10.1175/2007/JTECHA982.1. .
- 2009. RHtestV3 User Manual. Climate Research Division, Atmospheric Science and Technology Directorate, Science and Technology Branch, Environment Canada. P. 23. Published online at http://cccma.seos.uvic.ca/ETCCDMI/software.shtml October 2009. , .
- 2007. Global variations in oceanic evaporation (1958–2005): The role of the changing wind speed. Journal of Climate 20: 5376–5390, DOI:10.1175/2007JCLI1714.1. .