The effectiveness of extreme rainfall alerts in predicting surface water flooding in England and Wales
Version of Record online: 4 JUL 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 11, pages 1768–1774, September 2012
How to Cite
Hurford,, A. P., Priest, S. J., Parker, D. J. and Lumbroso, D. M. (2012), The effectiveness of extreme rainfall alerts in predicting surface water flooding in England and Wales. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 1768–1774. doi: 10.1002/joc.2391
- Issue online: 3 SEP 2012
- Version of Record online: 4 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 24 MAY 2011
- Manuscript Received: 23 NOV 2010
- Environment Agency. 2007. Review of 2007 summer floods, Environment Agency, Bristol. Available at http://publications.environment-agency.gov.uk/pdf/GEHO1107BNMI-e-e.pdf (Accessed 23 August 2010).
- Flood Forecasting Centre (FFC). 2010. Extreme Rainfall Alert (ERA) Service User Guide. Available at http://www.ffc-environment-agency.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/FFC_ERA_User_Guide.pdf (Accessed 23 August 2010).
- 2009. Long lead time flood warnings: reality or fantasy? Meteorological Applications 16: 3–12. .
- 2008. Proposed Pluvial Flooding Trial Service, Draft Report prepared for the Met Office. April 2008.
- HM Government. 2004. Civil Contingencies Act, 2004. 2004c.36. Available at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/ukpga_20040036_en_1 (Accessed 7 December 2009).
- Institute of Hydrology. 1999. Flood Estimation Handbook. Institute of Hydrology: Wallingford.
- 2008. Extreme Rainfall Alert Service, Presentation at the SNIFFER-SEPA pluvial flooding meeting, Edinburgh, 25 November 2008. Available at http://www.rise-frm.org.uk/exe/download.asp?rise/ERAscience_Orrell.pdf (Accessed 1 September 2010). .
- 2008. Learning Lessons from the 2007 Floods. The Pitt Review Cabinet Office: London. .
- 2010. Surface Water Flood Warning Scoping Project—Final Report, Environment Agency Science Programme Report, Science Report, SC080034/SR1. , , , , , .
- 2008. Preliminary performance evaluation of the Extreme Rainfall Alert Service, Summary of performance for the period from 2 July to 31 October 2008 inclusive, Met Office, Exeter, UK. , .