Landfalling tropical cyclones activities in the south China: intensifying or weakening?
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 12, pages 1815–1824, October 2012
How to Cite
Zhang, Q., Zhang, W., Lu, X. and Chen, Y. D. (2012), Landfalling tropical cyclones activities in the south China: intensifying or weakening?. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 1815–1824. doi: 10.1002/joc.2396
- Issue online: 2 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 15 NOV 2010
- Guangdong Science and Technology Department. Grant Numbers: 2010B050800001, 2010B050300010
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 41071020, 50839005
- Outstanding Young Teachers of the Sun Yat-sen University. Grant Number: 2009-37000-1132381
- Guangdong Natural Science Foundation. Grant Number: 4203384
- 1997. Documentation of a highly ENSO-related SST region in the equatorial Pacific. Atmosphere-Ocean 35: 367–383. , , .
- 2000. Climate Assessment for 1999. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: s1–s50. , , .
- 2005. Western North Pacific tropical cyclone intensity and ENSO. Journal of Climate 18: 2996–3006. , .
- 2005. The physics of tropical cyclone motion. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 37: 99–128. .
- 2006. Comment on “Changes in Tropical Cyclone Number, Duration, and Intensity in a Warming Environment”. Science 311(5768): 1713b. .
- 2007. Interannual variations of intense typhoon activity. Tellus A 59: 455–460. .
- 2004. Global warming and western North Pacific Typhoon activity from an observational perspective. Journal of Climate 17: 4590–4602. , .
- 2009. Inter-annual and inter-decadal variations of landfalling tropical cyclones in East Asia. Part I: time series analysis. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1285–1293. , .
- 2001. The origin of the subtropical anticyclones. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 58(13): 1827–1835. , , .
- 2009. Impact of the Intraseasonal Variability of the Western North Pacific large-scale circulation on tropical cyclone tracks. Weather and Forecasting 24: 646–666. , , , .
- 2002. Large-scale circulation features associated with decadal variations of tropical cyclone activity over the Central North Pacific. Journal of Climate 15: 2678–2689. .
- 1987. A Global View of Tropical Cyclones, University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL, 192. pp. , , , , .
- 2000. Changes in the rates of North Atlantic major hurricane activity during the 20th century. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 1743–1746. , , .
- 2003. Examining the ENSO-typhoon hypothesis. Climate Research 25(1): 43–54. , .
- 1999. Thermodynamic control of hurricane intensity. Nature 410: 665–669. .
- 2005. Increasing destructiveness of tropical cyclone over the past 30 years. Nature 436: 686–688. .
- 2008. The hurricane—climate connection. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 89: 10. .
- 1991. Interactions between a barotropic vortex and an idealized subtropical ridge. Part I: vortex motion. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 48: 301–314. , , .
- 1977. Tropical cyclone recurvature and nonrecurvature as related to surrounding wind-height fields. Journal of Applied Meteorology 16: 34–42. , .
- 1991. Tropical cyclone track characteristics as a function of large-scale circulation anomalies. Monthly Weather Review 119: 1448–1468. , .
- 1995a. Large-scale circulation variability over the tropical Western North Pacific. 1. Spatial patterns and tropical cyclone characteristics. Monthly Weather Review 123: 1225–1246. , .
- 1995b. Large-scale circulation variability over the tropical Western North Pacific. Persistence and transition characteristics. Monthly Weather Review 123: 1247–1268. , .
- 1995. Baroclinic dynamics of simulated tropical cyclone recurvature. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 52: 410–426. , .
- 2005. Circulation features associated with the record breaking typhoon landfall on Japan in 2004. Geophysical Research Letter 32: L1472, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL022494. , , .
- 2010. Tropical cyclones and climate change. Nature Geoscience 3(3): 157–163. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Impact of CO2-induced warming on simulated hurricane intensity and precipitation sensitivity to the choice of climate model and convective parameterization. Journal of Climate 17(18): 3477–3495. , .
- 1998. Simulated increase of hurricane intensities in a CO2-warmed climate. Science 279: 1018–1020. , , .
- 2005. Hurricanes and global warming. Nature 438: E11–E13. .
- 2005. State of the climate in 2004. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: S1–S86. .
- 2003. Climatological characteristics and seasonal forecasting of tropical cyclones making landfall along the South China coast. Monthly Weather Review 131(8): 1650–1662. , .
- 2008. Interdecadal variability of western North Pacific tropical cyclone tracks. Journal of Climate 21: 4464–4476. , .
- 1988. Climatology of North Pacific Tropical Cyclone Tracks. NEPRF Technical Report TR 8810, Naval Environmental Prediction Research Facility, Monterey, CA 93943, 490 pp. , , .
- 2005. Are there trends in hurricane destruction? Nature 438: E11. .
- 2003. Global analyses of sea surface temperature, sea ice, and night marine air temperature since the late nineteenth century. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D14): 4407, DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002670. , , .
- 2005. Hurricane link to climate change is hazy. Nature 437: 461. .
- 2010. Trend discrepancies among three best track data sets of western North Pacific tropical cyclones. Journal of Geophysical Research 115: D12128, DOI: 10.1029/2009JD013058. , , .
- 2007. Interannual and interdecadal variability of the summertime western North Pacific subtropical high. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L11701, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL029204. , , .
- 1999. Subtropical high anomalies over the western Pacific and its relations to the Asian monsoon and SST anomaly. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 16: 559–568. , .
- 2005. Uncertainty in hurricanes and global warming. Science 308: 1753–1754. .
- 2009. The abrupt shift of typhoon activity in the vicinity of Taiwan and its association with Western North Pacific–East Asian climate change. Journal of Climate 22(13): 3617–3628. , , .
- 2002. How strong ENSO events affect tropical storm activity over the Western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 15(13): 1643–1658. , .
- 2005. Changes in tropical cyclone number, duration, and intensity in a warming environment. Science 309: 1844–1846. , , , .
- 2004. Impacts of El Niño-southern oscillation events on tropical cyclone landfalling activity in the western North Pacific. Journal of Climate 17(6): 1419–1428. , , .
- 2005. Growing typhoon influence on East Asia. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L18703, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL022937. , , .
- 1998. Diagnostic study on the relationship between the assembling of low frequency waves in the Pacific ocean and the abnormality of the subtropical high. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 15: 247–257. , .
- 2009. Why the Western Pacific subtropical high has extended westward since the Late 1970s. Journal of Climate 22(8): 2199–2215. , .