The contributions of these authors to this article were prepared as part of their official duties as United States Federal Government employees.
Development of an enhanced tropical cyclone tracks database for the southwest Pacific from 1840 to 2010
Version of Record online: 2 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 14, pages 2240–2250, 30 November 2012
How to Cite
Diamond, H. J., Lorrey, A. M., Knapp, K. R. and Levinson, D. H. (2012), Development of an enhanced tropical cyclone tracks database for the southwest Pacific from 1840 to 2010. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 2240–2250. doi: 10.1002/joc.2412
- Issue online: 12 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 2 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 25 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 3 MAY 2011
- 2010. The tropics [in “State of the Climate in 2009”]. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 91(7): S79–106. , (ed).
- 2008. A bilateral project between the U.S. and Australia to provide a consolidated high quality database of Southern Hemisphere tropical cyclones. Eos Transactions AGU 89(23):Western Pacific Geophysics Meeting Supplement, Abstract U33A-06. , , .
- 1952. Les Cyclones Tropicaux En Nouvelle-Caledonia, Au Cours D'un Siecle (1852–1951), Service De La Meteorologie, Noumea, New Caledonia. .
- 1979. Hurricanes: Their formation, structure and likely role in the tropical circulation. In Meteorology Over Tropical Oceans, Shaw DB, (ed). Royal Meteorological Society: Bracknell, UK, 155–218. .
- 1981. On the quality of the Australian tropical cyclone data base. Australian Meteorological Magazine 29: 169–181. .
- 1976. Tropical Storms and Hurricanes in the Southwest Pacific, November 1939 to April 1969. NZ Ministry of Transport, Wellington, New Zealand. .
- 2010. The International Best Track Archive for Climate Stewardship (IBTrACS). Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 91: 363–376, DOI: 10.1175/2009BAMS2755.1. , , , , .
- 2010. Trends in tropical cyclones in the South Indian Ocean and the South Pacific Ocean Journal of Geophysics Research 115: D01101, DOI: 10.1029/2009JD012372. , , , , , , .
- 2008. On tropical cyclone activity in the Southern Hemisphere: Trends and the ENSO connection. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L14S08, DOI: 10.1029/2007GL032983. , , , .
- 2008. Statistical prediction of weekly tropical cyclone activity in the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 136: 3637–3654. , .
- 1981. Tropical Cyclones in the Australian Region, July 1909 to June 1980. Bureau of Meteorology, October 1981 Melbourne: Australia. .
- 1995. An Historical Overview Regarding the Intensity, Tracks, and Frequency of Tropical Cyclones in the South Pacific During the Last 100 Years, and an Analysis of any Changes in These Factors. WMO/TD-No. 692. Tropical Cyclone Programme, Report TCP-37. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. .
- 2007. Small islands. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Parry ML, Canziani OF, Palutikof JP, van der Linden PJ, Hanson CE (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 687–716. , , , , , , , .
- , , , , (eds), Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007. Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- 2011. A personal communication with Mr. Ready from the New Zealand Metservice, Ltd, regarding TC data monitoring and best tracks data at RSMC Wellington. .
- 1981. Tropical cyclones in the southwest Pacific, November 1969 to April 1979. NZ Ministry of Transport: Wellington, New Zealand. .
- 2002. Extratropical transition of Southwest Pacific tropical cyclones. Part I: Climatology and mean structure changes. Monthly Weather Review 130: 590–609. .
- 2010. Tempestuous Times in the South Pacific Islands. Science 23: 428–429, DOI: 10.1126/science.328.5977.428. , .
- 2010. Climatological aspects of South Pacific tropical cyclones, based on analysis of the RSMC-Nadi (Fiji) regional archive. Climate Research 42: 223–233. , .
- 1992. Tropical cyclones in the Southwest Pacific: November 1979 to May 1989. New Zealand Meteorological Service: Wellington, New Zealand. , , .
- 2008. An Enhanced Tropical Cyclone Data Set for the Australian Region: Tropical Meteorology Special Symposium; 20th Conference on Climate Variability and Change; 88th Annual Meeting of the American Meteorological Society, New Orleans, 20–24 January 2008. .
- 1925. Tropical Cyclones of the Pacific. Bulletin 20, Honolulu, Bernice P. Bishop Museum, 163 p. .
- World Bank. 2006. Not if, but when. Adapting to natural hazards in the Pacific Islands region; A policy note, The World Bank, East Asia and the Pacific Region, Pacific Islands Country Management Unit: Washington, DC, 46 pp.