Developing site-specific future temperature scenarios for Northern Ireland: addressing key issues employing a statistical downscaling approach
Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 13, pages 2007–2019, 15 November 2012
How to Cite
Mullan, D., Fealy, R. and Favis-Mortlock, D. (2012), Developing site-specific future temperature scenarios for Northern Ireland: addressing key issues employing a statistical downscaling approach. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 2007–2019. doi: 10.1002/joc.2414
- Issue online: 22 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 10 SEP 2010
- 2004. Understanding weather and climate, 3rd edn. Pearson Education Inc: New Jersey. , .
- 2009. Role of predictors in downscaling surface temperature to river basin in India for IPCC SRES scenarios using support vector machine. International Journal of Climatology 29: 583–603. , , , .
- Arkell B, Darch G, McEntee P. (eds). 2007. SNIFFER UKCC13: Preparing for a changing climate in Northern Ireland. SNIFFER: Edinburgh.
- 2003. Climate change scenarios from a regional climate model: Estimating change in runoff in southern Africa. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 1–17. , , .
- 2003. Weather, climate, and public health. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 57: 759–760. , , .
- 1998. Atmosphere, Weather and Climate, 7th edn. Routledge: London and New York. , .
- 2001. Climate change impacts on runoff in Sweden—assessments by global climate models, dynamical downscaling and hydrological modelling. Climate Research 16: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 1997. Climate. In Soil and environment: Northern Ireland, Cruickshank JG (ed). Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland and Queen's University Belfast: Belfast, 63–84. .
- 2002. Climate Change in Northern Ireland. In Implications of climate change for Northern Ireland: informing strategy development, Smyth A, Montgomery WI, Favis-Mortlock DT, Allen S (eds). The Stationery Office Limited: Norwich, 26–42. .
- 2002. Local versus remote grid points in climate downscaling. Climate Research 21: 27–42. .
- 2009. Irish phenological observations from the early 20th century reveal a strong response to temperature. Biology & Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 109(2): 115–122. , , , .
- 2008. Modelling of rail temperatures. Theoretical and Applied Meteorology 92: 121–131. , , , , , .
- 1999. Validation of downscaling models for changed climate conditions: case study of southwestern Australia. Climate Research 12: 1–14. , , , .
- 2007. Future Climate Change: Modelling the implications of shifts in rainfall characteristics for runoff in Northern Ireland. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Queen's University Belfast. .
- 2007. GCM grid-box choice and predictor selection associated with statistical downscaling of daily precipitation over Northern Ireland. Climate Research 34: 145–160. , , .
- 1995. Nonlinear responses of soil erosion to climate change: a modelling study on the UK South Downs. Catena 25: 365–387. , .
- 2008. Statistical downscaling of temperature, radiation and potential evapotranspiration to produce a multiple GCM ensemble mean for a selection of sites in Ireland. Irish Geography 41(1): 1–27. , .
- 2000. The Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis Global Coupled Model and its Climate. Climate Dynamics 166: 451–467. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Surface temperature differences between minerals in crystalline rocks: implications for granular disaggregation of granites through thermal fatigue. Geomorphology 78: 236–249. , , .
- 2005. Weather, climate and tourism: a geographical perspective. Annals of tourism research 32(3): 571–591. .
- 2003. Representing climate and extreme weather events in integrated assessment models: a review of existing methods and options for development. Integrated Assessment 4: 145–171. , , , .
- 2000. The simulation of SST, sea ice extents and ocean heat transports in a version of the Hadley Centre coupled model without flux adjustments. Climate Dynamics 16: 147–168. DOI: 10.1007/s003820050010. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Transient climate change in the CSIRO coupled model with dynamic sea ice. Monthly Weather Review 125: 875–907. , .
- 2006. Robust route optimisation for gritting/salting trucks: A CERCIA experience. Computational Intelligence Magazine 1(1): 6–9. , , .
- 1997. Central and Southern Scotland. In Regional climates of the British Isles, Wheeler D, Mayes J (eds). Routledge: London. .
- 2002. Climate Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCIP02 Scientific Report. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia: Norwich. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Decadal Trends in the North Atlantic Oscillation: Regional Temperatures and Precipitation. Science 269(5224): 676–679. .
- 2005. Downscaling of humidity variables: a search for suitable predictors and predictands. International Journal of Climatology 25: 243–250. .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. A North Atlantic Climate Pacemaker for the Centuries. Science 288(5473): 1984–1985. .
- 2004. Long term ambient temperature analysis and energy use implications in Hong Kong. Energy Conversion and Management 45(3): 315–327. , , .
- 2010. Precipitation downscaling under climate change. Recent developments to bridge the gap between dynamical models and the end user. Reviews of Geophysics 48, RG3003, 34PP., DOI:10.1029/2009RG000314. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. An evaluation of statistical and dynamical techniques for downscaling local climate. Journal of Climate 12(8): 2256–2284. .
- 2000. Predictions of Climate Change over Europe using Statistical and Dynamical Downscaling techniques. International Journal of Climatology 20: 489–501. .
- 2000. IPCC Special Report on Emissions Scenarios. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, 599 pp. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. The Atmospheric System: Conceptual frameworks in Geography. Oliver and Boyd: London. , .
- 1997. A statistical model to downscale local daily temperature extremes from synoptic-scale atmospheric circulation patterns in the Australian region. Climate Dynamics 13: 223–234. , .
- STARDEX. 2006. Downscaling climate extremes. Available from: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/projects/stardex/.
- 2009. The impacts of climate change on livestock and livestock systems in developing countries: A review of what we know and what we need to know. Agricultural Systems 101(3): 113–127. , , , .
- 1993. Downscaling of global climate change estimates to regional scales: An application to Iberian rainfall in wintertime. Journal of Climate 6: 1161–1171. , , .
- 2003. Statistical precipitation downscaling over the Northwestern United States using numerically simulated precipitation as a predictor. Journal of Climate 16(5): 799–816. , , .
- 2009. Impact of temperature and precipitation on yield and plant diseases of winter wheat in southern Sweden 1983–2007. Crop Protection 28(11): 952–962. , .
- 1997. Non-stationarity in daily precipitation series: implications for GCM down-scaling using atmospheric circulation indices. International Journal of Climatology 17: 439–454. .
- 1998. Statistical downscaling of daily precipitation using daily airflow and teleconnection indices. Climate Research 10: 163–178. .
- 2004. Guidelines for the use of Climate scenarios developed from Statistical downscaling methods. Available at http://ipcc-ddc.cru.uea.ac.uk/guidelines/dgm_no2_v1_09_2004.pdf. , , , , , .
- 2001. Using SDSM Version 2.2- A decision support tool for the assessment of regional climate change impacts, Version 2.2 User Manual. King's College London: London. , .
- 2007. SDSM 4.2- A decision support tool for the assessment of regional climate change impacts, Version 4.2 User Manual. Lancaster University: Lancaster/Environment Agency of England and Wales. , .
- 2002. SDSM- a decision support tool for the assessment of regional climate change impacts. Environmental Modelling and Software 17: 147–159. , , .
- 2006. A framework for assessing uncertainties in climate change impacts: low flow scenarios for the River Thames, UK. Water Resources Research 42(2): W02419.1–W02419.10. , .
- 2000. Precipitation predictors for downscaling: Observed and general circulation model relationships. International Journal of Climatology 20: 641–661. , .
- 2006. Statistical methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd edn. Academic Press/Elsevier. .