Fine-resolution (25 m) topoclimatic grids of near-surface (5 cm) extreme temperatures and humidities across various habitats in a large (200 × 300 km) and diverse region
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 14, pages 2134–2148, 30 November 2012
How to Cite
Ashcroft, M. B. and Gollan, J. R. (2012), Fine-resolution (25 m) topoclimatic grids of near-surface (5 cm) extreme temperatures and humidities across various habitats in a large (200 × 300 km) and diverse region. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 2134–2148. doi: 10.1002/joc.2428
- Issue online: 12 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 18 APR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 8 FEB 2011
- 2009. Weak effect of climate variability on coexistence in a sagebrush steppe community. Ecology 90: 3303–3312. , , .
- 2006. A method for improving landscape scale temperature predictions and the implications for vegetation modelling. Ecological Modelling 197: 394–404. .
- 2010. Identifying refugia from climate change. Journal of Biogeography 37: 1407–1413. .
- 2008. The effect of exposure on landscape scale soil surface temperatures and species distribution models. Landscape Ecology 23: 211–225. , , .
- 2009. Climate change at the landscape scale: predicting fine-grained spatial heterogeneity in warming and potential refugia for vegetation. Global Change Biology 15: 656–667. , , .
- 2011. An evaluation of environmental factors affecting species distributions. Ecological Modelling 222: 524–531. , , .
- 2011. Improving species distribution models for climate change studies: variable selection and scale. Journal of Biogeography 38: 1–8. , .
- 2007. Where will species go? Incorporating new advances in climate modelling into projections of species distributions. Global Change Biology 13: 1368–1385. , , , .
- 2010. Testing alternative models of climate-mediated extirpations. Ecological Applications 20: 164–178. , , , .
- 2008. Slope, aspect and climate: spatially explicit and implicit models of topographic microclimate in chalk grassland. Ecological Modelling 216: 47–59. , , , , .
- 2010. Characterising inter-annual variation in the spatial pattern of thermal microclimate in a UK upland using a combined empirical-physical model. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 150: 12–19. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Near-ground solar radiation along the grassland-forest continuum: tall-tree canopy architecture imposes only muted trends and heterogeneity. Austral Ecology 35: 31–40. , .
- 1998. An Introduction to Environmental Biophysics. Springer-Verlag: New York. , .
- 1999. Microclimate in forest ecosystem and landscape ecology: variations in local climate can be used to monitor and compare the effects of different management regimes. BioScience 49: 288–297. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Minimum temperature mapping over complex terrain by estimating cold air accumulation potential. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 137: 15–24. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Guidelines for assessing the suitability of spatial climate data sets. International Journal of Climatology 26: 707–721. .
- 2010. Local atmospheric decoupling in complex topography alters climate change impacts. International Journal of Climatology 30: 1857–1864. , , .
- 2007. High-resolution spatial modeling of daily weather elements for a catchment in the Oregon Cascade Mountains, United States. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46: 1565–1586. , , , .
- DECC. 2008. NSW Interim Native Vegetation Extent (2008-Version 1). Report and data prepared by NSW Department of Environment and Climate Change for the National Land and Water Resources Audit Sydney, Australia.
- 2011. A climatic basis for microrefugia: the influence of terrain on climate. Global Change Biology 17: 1022–1035. .
- 2009. How much influence does landscape-scale physiography have on air temperature in a mountain environment? Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1751–1758. , , , .
- 2002. Extended statistical approaches to modelling spatial pattern in biodiversity in northeast New South Wales. I. Species-level modelling. Biodiversity and Conservation 11: 2275–2307. , , , .
- 2009. Downscaling climate over complex terrain: high finescale (<1000 m) spatial variation of near-ground temperatures in a montane forested landscape (Great Smoky Mountains). Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 48: 1033–1049. .
- 1971. The Climate Near the Ground. Revised edn. Harvard Univ. Press: Cambridge. .
- 2010. The effect of past changes in inter-annual temperature variability on tree distribution limits. Journal of Biogeography 37: 1394–1405. , , , , , .
- 1987. Climatic tolerance and the distribution of plants. New Phytologist 106:(Suppl.) 113–130. .
- 2010. The contributions of topoclimate and land cover to species distributions and abundance: fine-resolution tests for a mountain butterfly fauna. Global Ecology and Biogeography 19: 159–173. , , .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1965–1978. , , , , .
- 2003. ANUCLIM 5.1 user's guide. Australian National University: Canberra. , , , .
- 2000. Biological consequences of global warming: is the signal already apparent? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15: 56–61. .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis, AR4 synthesis report. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Available at: http://www.ipcc.ch (accessed 18 December 2009).
- 1997. Bridging the gap between general circulation model (GCM) output and biological environments. International Journal of Biometeorology 40: 119–122. .
- 2007. The use of ‘altitude’ in ecological research. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 22: 569–574. .
- 2006. Estimation of air temperature at 5 cm above grassland at the Zagreb-Maksimir Observatory. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 85: 217–225. .
- 2004. An empirical approach towards improved spatial estimates of soil moisture for vegetation analysis. Landscape Ecology 19: 417–433. , .
- 2003. Spatial estimation of air temperature differences for landscape-scale studies in montane environments. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 114: 141–151. , .
- 2009. A general approach to estimate soil water content from thermal inertia. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1693–1698. , , , .
- 2007. Surface temperature patterns in complex terrain: daily variations and long-term change in the central Sierra Nevada, California. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: D11124. , .
- 2008. Evergreen trees as inexpensive radiation shields for temperature sensors. Water Resources Research 41: W00D04. , .
- 2008. Automated algorithm for mapping regions of cold-air pooling in complex terrain. Journal of Geophysical Research 113: D22107. , , .
- 2006. Climatology: its scientific nature and scope. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1–5. .
- 2008. The effect of the prevailing weather on the statistics of atmospheric temperature inversions. International Journal of Climatology 28: 1385–1397. , .
- 2008. Predicting range expansion of the map butterfly in Northern Europe using bioclimatic models. Biodiversity and Conservation 17: 623–641. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Climate change and the migration capacity of species. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 21: 111–113. .
- 2003. Predicting the impacts of climate change on the distribution of species: are bioclimatic envelope models useful? Global Ecology and Biogeography 12: 361–371. , .
- 2008. Temperature trends at high elevations: patterns across the globe. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L14701. , .
- 2005. A simple method for estimating potential relative radiation (PRR) for landscape-scale vegetation analysis. Landscape Ecology 20: 137–147. , , .
- 2009. Temporal variation in microclimatic edge effects near powerlines, highways and streams in Australian tropical rainforest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 84–95. , , .
- 2000. Patterns of diversity and composition of Mediterranean ground and communities tracking spatial and temporal variability in the thermal environment. Oecologia 123: 436–444. , .
- 2010. Targeted protection and restoration to conserve tropical biodiversity in a warming world. Global Change Biology 17: 186–193. , , , , .
- 2010. Impact of quality of climate models for modelling species occurrences in countries with poor climatic documentation: a case study from Bolivia. Ecological Modelling 221: 1221–1229. , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Comparison of approaches from spatial interpolation of daily air temperature in a large region with complex topography and highly variable station density. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 139: 224–236. , , , , .
- 2006a. The role of synoptic-scale circulation in the linkage between large-scale ocean-atmosphere indices and winter surface climate in British Columbia, Canada. International Journal of Climatology 26: 541–560. , , .
- 2011. Habitat microclimates drive fine-scale variation in extreme temperatures. Oikos 120: 1–8. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427: 145–148. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Predicting global change impacts on plant species' distributions: future challenges. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 9: 137–152. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Spatial scale affects bioclimatic model projections of climate change impacts on mountain plants. Global Change Biology 14: 1089–1103. , , , .
- 2009. New approaches to understanding late Quaternary climate fluctuations and refugial dynamics in Australian wet tropical rain forests. Journal of Biogeography 36: 291–301. , , .
- 2009. Predicting forest microclimate in heterogeneous landscapes. Ecosystems 12: 1158–1172. , .
- 2004. Effect of error in the DEM on environmental variables for predictive vegetation modelling. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 747–756. , , .
- 1945. The use of weather bureau data in ecological studies. Ohio Journal of Science 45: 1–12. .