Analyses of annual and seasonal maximum daily rainfall accumulations for Ukraine, Moldova, and Romania
Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 14, pages 2213–2226, 30 November 2012
How to Cite
Villarini, G. (2012), Analyses of annual and seasonal maximum daily rainfall accumulations for Ukraine, Moldova, and Romania. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 2213–2226. doi: 10.1002/joc.3394
- Issue online: 12 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 28 SEP 2011
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2011
- 2006. Global observed changes in daily climate extremes of temperature and precipitation. Journal of Geophysical Research 111(D05109):DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006290. pp. 1–22. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Implications of heterogeneous flood-frequency distributions on traditional stream-discharge prediction techniques. Hydrological Processes 16: 1065–1084. ,
- 2002. Constraints on future changes in climate and the hydrologic cycle. Nature 419: 224–232. ,
- 2003. Abrupt climate change. Science 299: 2005–2010. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1962. On the distribution of the two-sample Cramer-von Mises criterion. Annals of Mathematical Statistics 33(3): 1148–1159.
- 1952. Asymptotic theory of certain “goodness of fit” criteria based on stochastic processes. Annals of Mathematical Statistics 23(2): 193–212. ,
- 2010. A cloud-to-lightning climatology for Romania. Monthly Weather Review 138: 579–591. ,
- 1990. Detection of climate change in Europe by analyzing European atmospheric circulation patterns from 1881 to 1989. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 42: 155–167. ,
- 2009. Trends in joint quantiles of temperature and precipitation in Europe since 1901 and projected for 2100. Geophysical Research Letters 36(L07707):DOI: 10.1029/2008GL037119. pp. 1–6.
- 2009. Extreme value statistics of snowfall in the Swiss Alpine region. Water Resources Research 45(W05424):DOI: 10.1029/2009WR007916. pp. 1–12. , ,
- 2009. Improved confidence in climate change projections of precipitation evaluated using daily statistics from the PRUDENCE ensemble. Climatic Dynamics 32: 1097–1106. , , , ,
- 2001. Time Series: Data Analysis and Theory. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics: Philadelphia, PA, 540 p.
- 1984. Tests for detecting a shift in the mean of hydrological time series. Journal of Hydrology 73: 51–69.
- 1996. Changes in the winter precipitation in Romania and its relation to the large-scale circulation. Tellus A 48A: 538–552. ,
- 1995. Recent winter floods in Germany caused by changes in the atmospheric circulation across Europe. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 20(5–6): 459–462.
- 2006. Changes in instruments and sites affecting historical weather records: a case study. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 23: 825–828. ,
- 2003. Climate modelling: Severe summertime flooding in Europe. Nature 421: 805–806. ,
- 2009. Extreme rainfall events in the Hawaiian Islands. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 48: 502–516. , , ,
- 1979. Robust locally weighted regression and smoothing scatterplots. Journal of the American Statistical Association 74: 829–836.
- 2005. Nature's style: naturally trendy. Geophysical Research Letters 32: l23402. ,
- 2001. An Introduction to Statistical Modeling of Extreme Values. Springer: London.
- 1955. Some quick sign tests for trend in location and dispersion. Biometrika 42: 80–95. ,
- 2000. Climate extremes: observations, modeling, and impacts. Science 289: 2068–2074. , , , , ,
- 2008. On the tails of extreme event distributions in hydrology. Journal of Hydrology 355: 16–33. , ,
- 2011. Climate change evolution of the hydrological balance of the Mediterranean, Black and Caspian Seas” Impact of climate model resolution. Climatic Dynamics 36: 205–228. , , ,
- 2005. Dynamic and thermodynamic changes in mean and extreme precipitation under changed climate. Geophysical Research Letters 32(L17706):DOI: 10.1029/2005GL023272. pp. 1–5. ,
- 2005. Simple nonparametric techniques for exploring changing probability distributions of weather. Journal of Climate 18: 4344–4354. , ,
- 2001. Detection probability of trends in rare events: theory and application to heavy precipitation in the Alpine region. Journal of Climate 14: 1568–1584. ,
- 1998. Heavy precipitation processes in a warmer climate. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 1431–1434. , , ,
- 1995. Documenting and detecting long-term precipitation trends: where we are and what should be done. Climatic Change 31: 601–622. ,
- 1991. Overcoming biases of precipitation measurement: a history of the USSR experience. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 72: 1725–1733. , , ,
- 2005. Trends in intense precipitation in the climate record. Journal of Climate 18: 1326–1350. , , , , ,
- 2000. Nonparametric analysis of temporal trend when fitting parametric models to extreme-value data. Statistical Science 15(2): 153–167. ,
- 2009. Enhancing the effectiveness of prewhitening in trend analysis of hydrologic data. Journal of Hydrology 368(1–4): 143–155.
- 2000. Empirical evidence for North Pacific regime shifts in 1977 and 1989. Progress in Oceanography 47: 103–145. ,
- 2004. Interannual variability of European extreme winter rainfall and links with mean large-scale circulation. International Journal of Climatology 24: 759–776. ,
- 2006. Robust responses of the hydrological cycle to global warming. Journal of Climate 19: 5686–5699. ,
- 1993. Statistical Methods in Water Resources. Elsevier, Amsterdam, the Netherlands 522 p. ,
- 2001. Linear trend analysis: a comparison of methods. Atmospheric Environment 35: 5211–5222. , ,
- 1990. L-moments: analysis and estimation of distributions using linear combinations of order statistics. Journal of The Royal Statistical Society Series B 52(1): 105–124.
- 2010. 1963: The break point of the Northern Hemisphere temperature trend during the twentieth century. International Journal of Climatology 30: 1738–1746. ,
- 1992. Extreme events in a changing climate: variability is more important than averages. Climatic Change 21: 289–302. ,
- 2002. Statistics of extremes in hydrology. Advances in Water Resources 25: 1287–1304. , ,
- 1975. Rank Correlation Methods. Charles Griffin: London.
- 2003. Trends in indices of daily temperature and precipitation extremes in Europe, 1946-99. Journal of Climate 16: 3665–3680. ,
- 2002. Daily dataset of 20th-century surface air temperature and precipitation series for the European Climate Assessment. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1441–1453. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Updated and extended European dataset of daily climate observations. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1182–1191. ,
- 2008. Applied Statistics for Civil and Environmental Engineers. Blackwell Publishing, UK. ,
- 2006. Nonstationarity versus scaling in hydrology. Journal of Hydrology 324: 239–254.
- 1995. Monte Carlo experiments on the effect of serial correlation on the Mann-Kendall test of trend. Meteorologische Zeitschrift 4(2): 82–85. ,
- 2004. Change detection in hydrological records—a review of the methodology. Hydrological Sciences Journal 49(1): 7–19. ,
- 2004. Cramer-von Mises and Anderson-Darling goodness of fit tests for extreme value distributions with unknown parameters. Water Resources Research 40(W09308):DOI: 10.1029/2004WR003204.
- 1945. Non-parametric tests against trend. Econometrica 13: 245–259.
- 2000. Generalized maximum-likelihood generalized extreme-value quantile estimators for hydrologic data. Water Resources Research 36(3): 737–744. ,
- 1997. Stochastic hydrology in the context of climate change. Climatic Change 37: 89–101.
- 2003. Multidecadal regime shifts in U.S. streamflow, precipitation, and temperature at the end of the twentieth century. Journal of Climate 16: 3905–3916.
- 2003. Modeling Hydrologic Change: Statistical Methods. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 435 p.
- 2000. An introduction to trends in extreme weather and climate events: observations, socioeconomic impacts, terrestrial ecological impacts, and model projections. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81(3): 413–416. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2005. Trends in indices for extremes in daily temperature and precipitation in central and western Europe, 1901-99. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1149–1171. ,
- 2006. Indices for daily temperature and precipitation extreme in Europe analyzed for the period 1901–2000. Journal of Geophysical Research 111(D22106):DOI: 10.1029/2006JD007103. pp. 1–25. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Stochastic modeling of flood peaks using the generalized extreme value distribution. Water Resources Research 38(12): 1305, DOI: 10.1029/2001WR000502. ,
- 2003. No upward trends in the occurrence of extreme floods in central Europe. Nature 425: 166–169. , , ,
- 2002. Quantifying the risk of extreme seasonal precipitation events in a changing climate. Nature 415: 512–514. ,
- 2011. Atmospheric circulations associated to the interannual variability of cumulonimbus cloud frequency in the southern part of Romania. International Journal of Climatology. DOI: 10.1002/joc.2316 (in press). , ,
- 2000. Testing for change in variability and persistence in time series. In Detecting Trend and Other Changes in Hydrological Data, WCDMP-45, WMO/TD no.1013, Kundzewicz Z, Robson A (eds). World Climate Programme–Water, World Climate Programme Data and Monitoring: Geneva, 104–109.
- 2000. Bayesian change-point analysis in hydrometeorological time series. Part 2. Comparison of change-point models and forecasting. Journal of Hydrology 235: 242–263. , , ,
- 1998. Homogeneity adjustments of in situ atmospheric climate data: a review. International Journal of Climatology 18(13): 1493–1517. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1979. A non-parametric approach to the change-point problem. Applied Statistics 28(2): 126–135.
- 1979. Annual precipitation in the Northeast United States: long memory, short memory, or no memory. Water Resources Research 15(2): 340–346.
- 1981. Illustration of a new test for detecting a shift in mean in precipitation series. Monthly Weather Review 109: 2040–2045.
- 2002. Local models for exploratory analysis of hydrological extremes. Journal of Hydrology 256: 106–119. ,
- 2007. A review and comparison of changepoint detection techniques for climate data. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46: 900–915. , , , ,
- 2006. Heavy-Tail Phenomena—Probability and Statistical Modeling, Springer, New York.
- 2004. A sequential algorithm for testing climate regime shifts. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L09,204.
- 1984. Two-component extreme value distribution for flood frequency analysis. Water Resources Research 20(7): 847–856. , ,
- 1993. Analysis and modeling of hydrologic time series. In Handbook of Hydrology, Maidment D (ed). McGraw Hill: New York, 19.1–19.72.
- 2005. Trends of heavy precipitation and wet and dry spells in Switzerland during the 20th century. International Journal of Climatology 25: 753–771. ,
- 2009. Assessing the applicability of fractional order statistics for computing confidence intervals for extreme quantiles. Journal of Hydrology 376(3–4): 528–541.
- 2011. Assessing possible changes in flood frequency due to climate change in mid-sized watersheds in New York State, USA. Hydrological Processes. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.8027 25(16): 2542–2550. ,
- 2010. The hydrology and hydrometeorology of flooding in the Delaware River Basin. Journal of Hydrometeorology 11(4): 841–859. , , ,
- 2001. Recent changes in cloud-type frequency and inferred increases in convection over the United States and the former USSR. Journal of Climate 14: 1864–1880. , ,
- 2009. Has climate recently shifted? Geophysical Research Letters 36: l22707, DOI: 10.1029/2008GL037022. ,
- 2002. Changes in seasonal mean maximum air temperature in Romania and their connection with large-scale circulation. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1181–1196. , ,
- 2005. Winter precipitation variability and large-scale circulation patterns in Romania. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 81: 193–201. , ,
- 2010. Flood peak distributions for the eastern United States. Water Resources Research 46(W06504):DOI: 10.1029/2009WR008395. pp. 1–17. ,
- 2009a. On the stationarity of annual flood peaks in the continental United States during the 20th century. Water Resources Research 45(W08417):DOI: 10.1029/2008WR007645. pp. 1–17. , , ,
- 2009b. Flood frequency analysis for nonstationary annual peak records in an urban drainage basin. Advances in Water Resources 32: 1255–1266. , , , , ,
- 2010. Nonstationary modeling of a long record of rainfall and temperature over Rome. Advances in Water Resources 33(10): 1256–1267. , ,
- 2011a. Examining flood frequency distributions in the Midwest U.S. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 43(3): 447–463. , , ,
- 2011b. On the frequency of heavy rainfall for the Midwest of the United States. Journal of Hydrology 400(1–2): 103–120. , , , , ,
- 2011c. Annual maximum and peaks-over-threshold analyses of daily rainfall accumulations for Austria. Journal of Geophysical Research 116(D05103):DOI: 10.1029/2010JD015038. pp. 1–15. , , ,
- 2011d. Analyses of seasonal and annual maximum daily discharge records for central Europe. Journal of Hydrology 399(3–4): 299–312. , , ,
- 2011e. Analyses of extreme flooding in Austria over the period 1951–2006. International Journal of Climatology DOI: 10.1002/joc.2331 (in press). , , , ,
- 2002. Enhanced resolution modelling study on anthropogenic climate change: changes in extremes of the hydrological cycle. International Journal of Climatology 22: 755–777. , ,
- 2007. Penalized maximal t test for detecting undocumented mean change in climate data series. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46: 916–931. , ,
- 1982. Prediction of annual flood generated by mixed processes. Water Resources Research 18(4): 1283–1286. ,
- 2003. Homogeneity of 20th century European daily temperature and precipitation series. International Journal of Climatology 23: 679–692. , ,
- 2004. The Mann-Kendall test modified by effective sample size to detect trend in serially correlated hydrological series. Water Resources Management 18: 201–218. ,
- 2002. Power of the Mann-Kendall and Spearman's rho tests for detecting monotonic trends in hydrological series. Journal of Hydrology 259: 254–271. , ,
- 2003. Canadian streamflow trend detection: impacts of serial and cross-correlation. Hydrological Sciences Journal 48(1): 51–63. , ,
- 2005. On the robustness of the estimates of centennial-scale variability in heavy precipitation from station data over Europe. Geophysical Research Letters 32(L14707):DOI: 10.1029/2005GL023231. pp. 1–5. , , ,
- 2009. Improving estimates of heavy and extreme precipitation using daily records from European rain gauges. Journal of Hydrometeorology 10: 701–716. , , , ,