The influence of ENSO on winter rainfall in South Africa
Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2011
Copyright © 2011 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 32, Issue 15, pages 2333–2347, December 2012
How to Cite
Philippon, N., Rouault, M., Richard, Y. and Favre, A. (2012), The influence of ENSO on winter rainfall in South Africa. Int. J. Climatol., 32: 2333–2347. doi: 10.1002/joc.3403
- Issue online: 4 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Received: 19 SEP 2011
- 2007. El Niño Modoki and its possible teleconnection. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: C11007, DOI: 10.1029/2006JC003798. , , , , .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate : a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B57: 289–300. , .
- 2007. Relationships between Antarctic sea-ice and South African winter rainfall. Climate Research 33: 183–193. , .
- 2010. The response of African land surface phenology to large scale climate oscillations Remote Sensing of Environment 114: 2286–2296. , , .
- 2010. Recurrent daily rainfall patterns over South Africa and associated dynamics during the core of the austral summer. International Journal of Climatology DOI: 10.1002/joc2266. , , , , , .
- 1997. A method to estimate the statistical significance of a correlation when the data are serially correlated. Journal of Climate 10: 2147–2153. .
- 2007. The Shuttle Radar Topography Mission. Reviews of Geophysics 45: RG2004, DOI: 10.1029/2005RG000183. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Recurrent daily OLR patterns in the Southern Africa/Southwest Indian ocean region, implications for South African rainfall and teleconnections. Climate Dynamics 32: 575–591. , , , , .
- 1931. The generalization of Student's ratio. Annals of Mathematical Statistics 2: 360–378, DOI: 10.1214/aoms/1177732979. .
- 1996. Sahel droughts and ENSO dynamics. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 515–518, DOI: 10.1029/96GL00246. , , .
- 2009. Why the Southern Hemisphere ENSO responses lead ENSO. Journal of Geophysical Research 114: D23101. , .
- 2002. NCEP-DOE AMIP II reanalysis (R-2). Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1631–1643. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Periodicities, ENSO effects and trends of some South African rainfall series: an update. South African Journal of Science 105: 199–207. .
- 2007. Predictability of June-September rainfall in Ethiopia. Monthly Weather Review 135: 628–650. , .
- 2002. ENSO warm (El Niño) and cold (La Niña) event life cycles: ocean surface anomaly patterns, their symmetries, asymmetries and implications. Journal of Climate 15: 1118–1140. , .
- 1986. The southern oscillation and South African rainfall. South African Journal of Science 82: 196–198. , , .
- 2003. Development of a RASTER database of annual, monthly and daily rainfall for Southern Africa. Report No. 1156/1/03, Water Research Commission. Pretoria, 78. .
- 2007. The 1997–98 summer rainfall season in Southern Africa. Part I: observations. Journal of Climate 20: 5134–5148. , .
- 2009. The 1997-98 summer rainfall season in Southern Africa. Part II: model simulations and coupled model forecasts. Journal of Climate 22: 3802–3818. , .
- 1998. Seasonal forecasting of South African rainfall using a non-linear discriminant analysis model. International Journal of Climatology 18: 147–164. .
- 2001. El Niño, climate change and Southern African climate. Environmetrics 12: 327–345. .
- 2003. The influence of Pacific SST variability on the precipitation over Southern Africa. Journal of Climate 16: 2408–2418. .
- 2009. Interactions between synoptic, intraseasonal and interannual convective variability over Southern Africa. Climate Dynamics 33: 1033–1050, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-008-0485-4. , , , , .
- 1997. The atmosphere and weather of Southern Africa, 4th edn. Oxford University Press: Cape Town, 374. , .
- 2005. Relationships between South Atlantic SST variability and atmospheric circulation over the South African region during austral winter. Journal of Climate 18: 3059–3075. , .
- 2002. ENSO-like decadal variability and South African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1638, DOI: 10.1029/2002GL014663. , .
- 2005. Links between the Antarctic Oscillation and winter rainfall over western South Africa. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L07705. 10.1029/2005GL022419. , .
- 2002. Interannual winter rainfall variability in SW South Africa and large scale ocean-atmosphere interactions. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 80: 19–29. , , , .
- 2000. Modification of the Southern African rainfall variability/ENSO relationship since the late 1960s. Climate Dynamics 16: 883–895. , , , .
- 2008. Shifts in the statistics of daily rainfall in South America conditional on ENSO phase. Journal of Climate 21: 849–865. , .
- 2010. Coastal Oceanic climate change and variability from 1982 to 2009 around South Africa. African Journal of Marine Science 32: 237–246. , , .
- 2003. Spatial extension and intensity of droughts since 1922 in South Africa. Water SA 19: 489–500. , .
- 2005. Intensity and spatial extent of droughts in Southern Africa. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L15702, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL022436. , .
- 2005. Calculation of gridded precipitation data for the global land-surface using in-situ gauge observations. In Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop of the International Precipitation Working Group IPWG. Monterey, October 2004, EUMETSAT, ISBN 92-9110-070-6, ISSN 1727-432X, 231–247. , .
- 1948. Table for estimating the goodness of fit of empirical distributions. Annals of Mathematical Statistics. 19: 279–281. .
- 2011. Southern Hemisphere extra-tropical forcing: a new paradigm for El Niño—Southern Oscillation. Climate Dynamics 36: 2171–2199. .
- 2005. Searching for decadal variations en ENSO precipitation teleconnections. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L15701, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL023110. , .
- 2004. Controlling the proportion of falsely rejected hypotheses when conducing multiple tests with climatological data Journal of Climate 17: 4343–4356. , , .
- 2006. On “field significance” and the False Discovery Rate. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 45: 1181–1189.