Influence of large-scale climate modes on daily synoptic weather types over New Zealand
Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 2, pages 499–519, February 2013
How to Cite
Jiang, N., Griffiths, G. and Lorrey, A. (2013), Influence of large-scale climate modes on daily synoptic weather types over New Zealand. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 499–519. doi: 10.1002/joc.3443
- Issue online: 17 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 17 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2011
- 2011. Using synoptic type analysis to understand New Zealand climate during the Mid-Holocene. Climates of the Past 7: 1189–1207. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. El Niño Southern Oscillation and Climatic Variability. CSIRO Publications: Melbourne. , , .
- 2005. PDO, ENSO and the early summer monsoon rainfall over South China. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L08810, DOI:10.1029/2004GL022015. , .
- A Southwest Pacific Tropical Cyclone Climatology and Linkages to the El Niño Southern Oscillation. In Preparation. , , .
- 2008. An Introduction to Generalized Linear Models, 3rd edn. CRC Press: New York. , .
- 1997. Glacier balance fluctuations and atmospheric circulation patterns over the Southern Alps, New Zealand. International Journal of Climatology 17: 745–763. , , .
- 2008. Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation Time Series. Available at http://www.iges.org/c20c/IPO_v2.doc. Accessed [27 July 2011]. .
- 1999. Large scale modes of ocean surface temperature since the late nineteenth century. In Beyond El Niño: Decadal and Interdecadal Climate Variability, pp. 374. Editor: Antonio Navarra. Springer: Berlin, 73–102. , , , .
- 2002. Relative influences of the Interdecadal Pacific Oscillation and ENSO on the South Pacific Convergence Zone. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 1643–1646. , , , .
- 2003. Trends and variations in South Pacific island and ocean surface temperatures. Journal of Climate 16: 2859–2874. , , , .
- 2003. Climate and severe fire seasons: part IV—daily fire weather sequences and high fire severity in Auckland West/Waikato, North Canterbury, Mckenzie Basin and Central Otago/Inland Southland. NIWA Client Report AKL2003-026 for National Rural Fire Authority. Auckland. , , .
- 2011. Drivers of extreme daily rainfall in New Zealand. Weather and Climate 31: 24–49. .
- 2006. Shifts in the synoptic systems influencing southwest Western Australia. Climate Dynamics 26: 751–764. , , .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group 1 to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Cambridge University Press: New York.
- 2000. Quality of the Auckland Airshed. ProQuest Information and Learning (UMI): AAT3112534. .
- 2008. Quality of the Auckland Airshed, A New Zealand Case Study. VDM Verlag Dr. Mueller: Berlin. .
- 2010. Application of Two Different Weather Typing Procedures, An Australian Case Study. VDM Verlag Dr. Mueller: Berlin. .
- 2011. A new objective procedure for classifying New Zealand synoptic weather types during 1958-2008. International Journal of Climatology 31: 863–879, DOI: 10.1002/joc.2126. .
- 2004. Classification of New Zealand synoptic weather types and relation to the Southern Oscillation Index. Weather and Climate 23: 3–23. , , .
- 2005. Synoptic weather patterns and morning rush hour nitrogen oxides concentrations during Auckland winters. Weather and Climate 25: 43–69. , , .
- 2011a. Linking New Zealand synoptic weather types to daily rainfall in Auckland. Weather and Climate 31: 50–67. , , .
- 2011b. On two different objective procedures for classifying synoptic weather types over east Australia. International Journal of Climatology. DOI: 10.1002/joc.2373. , , , , .
- 1994a. An automated procedure for the identification of synoptic types applied to the New Zealand region. International Journal of Climatology 14: 711–721. .
- 1994b. Relationship of New Zealand daily and monthly weather patterns to synoptic weather types. International Journal of Climatology 14: 723–737. .
- 1997. The utility of surface and upper air data in synoptic climatological specification of surface climatic variables. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1–15. .
- 2000. An analysis of New Zealand synoptic types and their use in defining weather regimes. International Journal of Climatology 20: 299–316. .
- 2002. Patterns of convection in the tropical Pacific and their influence on New Zealand weather. International Journal of Climatology 22: 151–174. , .
- 2009. Hemispheric-scale seasonality of the Southern Annular Mode and impacts on the climate of New Zealand. Journal of Climate 22: 4759–4770. , , .
- 2006. Observed relationships between the El Niño–Southern Oscillation and the extratropical zonal-mean circulation. Journal of Climate 19: 276–287. , .
- 2007. Regional climate regime classification as a qualitative tool for interpreting multi-proxy palaeoclimate data spatial patterns: a New Zealand case study. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 253: 407–433. , , .
- 2008. Speleothem stable isotope records interpreted within a multi-proxy framework and implications for New Zealand palaeoclimate reconstruction. Quaternary International 187: 52–75. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Palaeocirculation across New Zealand during the Last Glacial Maximum at ∼21 ka. Quaternary Science Reviews. DOI:10.1016/j.quascirev.2011.09.025. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Trends in the southern annular mode from observations and reanalyses. Journal of Climate 16: 4134–4143. .
- 2007. Half-century seasonal relationships between the Southern Annular Mode and Antarctic temperatures. International Journal of Climatology 27: 373–383. .
- 2003. Shifts in flood and low-flow regimes in New Zealand due to interdecadal climate variations. Hydrological Sciences 48(4): 637–654. , .
- 1995. On the linearity and stability of Southern Oscillation-climate relationships for New Zealand. International Journal of Climatology 15: 1365–1386. .
- 2011. Inter-annual variability in net accumulation on Tasman Glacier, New Zealand, and its relationship with climate. Global and Planetary Change 77: 142–152. , , , , , , .
- 1998. ENSO-related variability in the frequency of South Pacific blocking. Monthly Weather Review 126: 3117–3123. .
- 2011. Kidson's synoptic weather types and surface climate variability over New Zealand. Weather and Climate 31: 3–23. .
- 1999. Blocking over the South Pacific and Rossby wave propagation. Monthly Weather Review 127: 2233–2247. , .
- 2006. The southern annular mode and New Zealand climate. Water and Atmosphere 14: 24–25. , .
- 2005. Southern hemisphere blocking onsets associated with upper-tropospheric divergence anomalies. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 62: 1614–1625. , .
- 1980a. New Zealand climate: I. Precipitation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 108: 1892–1904. .
- 1980b. New Zealand climate: II. Temperature patterns. Monthly Weather Review 108: 1905–1912. .
- 1999. New Zealand climate: temperature and precipitation variations and their links with atmospheric circulation 1930–1994. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1049–1071. , .
- 2000. Modelling rainfall intensity. North Shore City Care Project: historical and future rainfall. NIWA Client Report AK00127, Prepared for AWT Engineering. Auckland. , , .
- 2001a. Inter-decadal Pacific oscillation and South Pacific climate. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1705–1721. , , .
- 2001b. Climate Analysis for Auckland City: Factors Affecting Water Supply and Discharge to 2050. NIWA Client Report AK01019, Prepared for Metrowater. Auckland. , , , , , .
- 2004. Atmospheric circulation and precipitation. In: Freshwaters of New Zealand, pp. 700. Editors: Jon Harding, Paul Mosley, Charles Pearson, Brian Sorrell. The Caxton Press: Christchurch, New Zealand. , , , .
- 2008. Rainfall Intensity in Manukau City. NIWA Client Report AKL2007-079, Prepared for Manukau City Council. Auckland. , , .
- 2005. The forcing of the Pacific decadal oscillation. Journal of Climate 18: 4355–4373. , .
- 2010. Synoptic climatology and the general circulation model. Progress in Physical Geography 34: 101–109. , .
- 2008. The Weather and Climate of Australia and New Zealand. Oxford University Press: New York. , .
- 1985. Blocking in the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 113: 3–21. , .
- 2007. Interannual extremes in New Zealand precipitation linked to modes of Southern Hemisphere climate variability. Journal of Climate 20: 5418–5440. , .
- 2009. On the relationship between large-scale climate modes and regional synoptic patterns that drive Victorian rainfall. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 13: 467–479. , .
- 2007. Interdecadal mode and its propagating characteristics of SSTA in the South Pacific. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 98: 115–124, DOI: 10.1007/s00703-006-0235-2. , , , .
- 2007a. Possible connection between Pacific oceanic interdecadal pathway and East Asian winter monsoon. Geophysical Research Letter 34: L01701, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL027809. , , .
- 2007b. Interdecadal variability of the relationship between the East Asian winter monsoon and ENSO. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 98: 283–293, DOI: 10.1007/s00703-007-0263-6. , , , , .