Effect of mid-latitude blocking anticyclones on the weather of the Arabian Peninsula
Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 3, pages 585–598, 15 March 2013
How to Cite
Athar, H., Almazroui, M., Islam, M. N., Abid, M. A. and Ehsan, M. A. (2013), Effect of mid-latitude blocking anticyclones on the weather of the Arabian Peninsula. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 585–598. doi: 10.1002/joc.3450
- Issue online: 7 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 20 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Received: 23 JUN 2011
- 1998. Climatological study of the southwestern region of Saudi Arabia. I. Rainfall analysis. Climate Research 9: 213–223. , .
- 1985. Climatic subdivisions in Saudi Arabia: an application of principal component analysis. International Journal of Climatology 5: 307–323. .
- 2006. The relationship between atmospheric circulation patterns and surface climatic elements in Saudi Arabia. PhD thesis, Climate Research Unit, University of East Angela. .
- 2011a. Calibration of TRMM rainfall climatology over Saudi Arabia during 1998–2009. Atmospheric Research 99: 400–414, DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2010.11.006. .
- 2011b. Sensitivity of a regional climate model on the simulation of high intensity rainfall events over the Arabian Peninsula and around Jeddah (Saudi Arabia). Theoretical and Applied Climatology 104: 261–276, DOI: 10.1007/s00704–010–0387–3. .
- 2010. Scale analysis of blocking events from 2002 to 2004: a case study of an unusually persistent blocking event leading to a heat wave in the Gulf of Alaska during August 2004. Advances in Meteorology 2010: 610263, DOI: 10.1155/2010/610263. , .
- 2006. A climatology of northern hemisphere blocking. Journal of Climate 19: 1042–1063. , , , .
- 2010. Application of blocking diagnosis methods to General Circulation Models. Part I. A novel detection scheme. Climate Dynamics 35: 1373–1391, DOI: 10.1007/s00382–010–0767–5. , , .
- 1986. Anomalous atmospheric flows and blocking. Advances in Geophysics, 29. Academic Press, London, 459 p. , , (eds).
- 2011. The relationship of winter season North Atlantic blocking frequencies to extreme cold or dry spells in the ERA-40. Tellus A 63: 212–222, DOI: 10.1111/j.1600–0870.2010.00492.x. , , .
- 2004. Downstream weather impacts associated with atmospheric blocking over the northeast Pacific. Journal of Climate 17: 4823–4839. , , .
- 2007a. A multifaceted climatology of atmospheric blocking and its recent linear trend. Journal of Climate 20: 633–649. , , .
- 2007b. Atmospheric blocking: space–time links to the NAO and PNA. Climate Dynamics 29: 713–725, DOI: 10.1007/s00382–007–0259–4. , , .
- 1999. Global sea surface temperature analyses: multiple problems and their implications for climate analysis, modeling, and reanalysis. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 80: 2661–2678. , .
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2007. Climate Change. The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt K, Tignor M and Miller H. (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York, p 996.
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The NCEP-NCAR 50-year reanalysis: monthly means CD-ROM and documentation. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 82: 247–267. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Characteristics of northern hemisphere blocking as determined from long time series of observational data. Tellus A 35: 350–362. , .
- 1995. Climatological features of blocking anticyclones in the northern hemisphere. Tellus A 47: 439–456. , .
- 2008. The global increase in blocking occurrences. Preprint, The 20th Conference on Global Climate Change, New Orleans, LA, American Meteorological Society, P 2.14. , , , , , , .
- 1950a. Blocking action in the middle troposphere and its effect upon regional climate. I. An aerological study of blocking action. Tellus 2: 196–211. .
- 1950b. Blocking action in the middle troposphere and its effect upon regional climate. II. The climatology of blocking action. Tellus 2: 275–301. .
- 1994. Improved global sea surface temperature analyses using optimum interpolation. Journal of Climate 7: 929–948. , .
- 2004. Perspicacious indicators of atmospheric blocking. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L06125, DOI: 10.1029/2003GL019341. , , .
- 2006. Two-dimensional indices of atmospheric blocking and their statistical relationship with winter climate patterns in the Euro-Atlantic region. 2006. International Journal of Climatology 26: 233–249. , , , .
- 1986. SST anomalies and blocking. In Anomalous Atmospheric Flows and Blocking, Benzi R, Saltzman B, and Wiin-Nielsen A. (eds). Advances in Geophysics, vol. 29. Academic Press: London, p 443–452. .
- 1997. The definition of El Niño. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 78: 2771–2777. .
- 1990. On the operational predictability of blocking. Tellus A 42: 343–365. , .
- 2008a. Aspects of a Northern hemisphere atmospheric blocking climatology. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 65: 1638–1652. , .
- 2008b. The morphology of Northern hemisphere blocking. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 65: 1653–1665. , .
- 2002. Evaluation of ensemble predictions of blocking in the NCEP global spectral model. Monthly Weather Review 130: 879–900. , .
- 2002. The climatology of blocking anticyclones for the northern and southern hemispheres: block intensity as a diagnostic. Journal of Climate 15: 3459–347. , , , .