The relationship between the decline of Southeastern Australian rainfall and the strengthening of the subtropical ridge
Version of Record online: 12 APR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 4, pages 1021–1034, 30 March 2013
How to Cite
Timbal, B. and Drosdowsky, W. (2013), The relationship between the decline of Southeastern Australian rainfall and the strengthening of the subtropical ridge. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 1021–1034. doi: 10.1002/joc.3492
- Issue online: 7 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 12 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 DEC 2010
- 2006. A new globally complete monthly historical gridded Mean Sea level Pressure dataset (HadSLP2): 1850–2004. Journal of Climate 19: 5816–5842. , .
- 1993. Circulation features associated with the winter rainfall decrease in Southwestern Australia. Journal of Climate 6: 1356–1367. , .
- 2006. Uncertainty estimates in regional and global observed temperature changes: a new dataset from 1850. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D12106, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006548. , , , , .
- 1956. Statistical analysis of Australian pressure data. Australian Journal of Physics 9: 394–399. .
- 1953. Climatic change in Australia since 1880. Australian Journal of Physics 6: 209–218. .
- 2005. The latitude of the subtropical ridge over eastern Australia: the L index revisited. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1291–1299. .
- 2009. Associations between rainfall variability in the southwest and southeast of Australia and their evolution through time. International Journal of Climatology 30: 1360–1371. , , .
- 2009. Hadley cell widening: model simulations versus observations. Journal of Climate 22: 2713–2725. , .
- 2009. High quality spatial climate data sets for Australia. Australian Meteorological and. Oceanographic Journal 58: 233–248. , , .
- 1925. Some periods in Australian weather. Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology, Australia, Bulletin N° 17. .
- 2006. Recent behaviour of Hadley cell and tropical thermodynamics in climate models and re-analyses. Geophysical Research Letters 33:DOI: 10.1029/2005GL024406. , .
- 2005. Has the Hadley Cell been strengthening in recent decades? Geophysical Research Letters 32:DOI: 10.1029/2004GL021765. , .
- 2008. A review of recent climate variability and climate change in south-eastern Australia. International Journal of Climatology 28(7): 859–879. , .
- 1996. Recent apparent changes in relationships between the El Nino–southern oscillation and Australian rainfall and temperature. Geophysical Research Letters, 23: 3357–3360. , , , , .
- 2009. Local and remote causes of the southern Australian autumn-winter rainfall decline, 1958–2007. Climate Dynamics 34: 835–845. .
- 1992. Physics of Climate. American Institute of Physics: New York. ISBN 0-88318-712-4. , .
- 1971. Rainfall and the general circulation. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Weather Modification. American Meteorological Society: Canberra, 330–338. .
- 1973. Global meridional interactions in stratosphere and troposphere. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 99: 424–437. .
- 1975. Climatic change and the patterns of variation in Australian rainfall. Search 6: 498–504. .
- 1999. Interdecadal modulation of the impact of ENSO on Australia, Climate Dynamics 15: 234–319. , , , , .
- 2008. A pressure gradient metric capturing planetary-scale influences on eastern Australian rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L08713. ISSN: 0094–8276 (2008). , , .
- 2007. Widening of the tropical belt in a changing climate. Nature 1: 21–24. , , , .
- Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt K, Tignor M, Miller HM (eds). 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK and New York, USA, 996.
- 2007. Observed climate change in South-East of Australia and its relation to large-scale modes of variability. BMRC Research Letter 6: 6–11. , .
- 2008. Observed early winter Mean Seal Level Pressure changes above southern Australia: a comparison of existing datasets. CAWCR res. Let 1: 1–7. , .
- 2009. The continuing decline in South-East Australian rainfall—update to May 2009. CAWCR Research Letter 2: 8pp. .
- 2010. Understanding the anthropogenic nature of the observed rainfall decline across south-eastern Australia. CAWCR Technical Report 26: 180. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Solar correlates of Southern Hemisphere mid-latitude climate variability. International Journal of Climatology 22: 901–915. .
- 2003. Long term trends in the latitude of the sub-tropical ridge over southeast Australia: climate correlates and consequences. In 7th International Conference on Southern Hemisphere Meteorology and Oceanography, Wellington, New Zealand. .
- 2002. Interpretation of recent Southern Hemisphere climate change. Science 296: 895–899. , .
- 2009. An assessment of relationships between the Australian subtropical ridge, rainfall variability, and high-latitude circulation patterns. International Journal of Climatology 29: 691–709. , .