Least square support vector and multi-linear regression for statistically downscaling general circulation model outputs to catchment streamflows
Article first published online: 27 APR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 5, pages 1087–1106, April 2013
How to Cite
Sachindra, D. A., Huang, F., Barton, A. and Perera, B. J. C. (2013), Least square support vector and multi-linear regression for statistically downscaling general circulation model outputs to catchment streamflows. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 1087–1106. doi: 10.1002/joc.3493
- Issue published online: 9 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 27 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 NOV 2011
- 2009. Role of predictors in downscaling surface temperature to river basin in India for IPCC SRES scenarios using support vector machine. International Journal of Climatology 29: 583–603, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1719. , , , .
- 2008. Downscaling precipitation to river basin in India for IPCC SRES scenarios using support vector machine. International Journal of Climatology 28: 401–420, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1529. , , , .
- 2007. Support vector regression. Neural Information Processing-Letters and Reviews 11: 203–224. , , .
- 2007. An evaluation of statistical models for downscaling precipitation and their ability to capture long-term trends. International Journal of Climatology 27: 649–665, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1421. , , .
- 2002. Downscaling recent streamflow conditions in British Columbia, Canada using ensemble neural network models. Journal of Hydrology 259: 136–151, DOI: 10.1016/S0022-1694(01)00581-9. , .
- 1997. Grampians special map area and geological report. Geological Survey of Victoria Report 107, 42–130. , .
- 2010. Statistical downscaling of daily precipitation using support vector machines and multivariate analysis. Journal of Hydrology 385: 13–22, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2010.01.021. , , .
- 2008. Statistical downscaling of hourly and daily climate scenarios for various meteorological variables in south-central Canada. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 91: 129–147, DOI: 10.1007/s00704-007-0302-8. , , , .
- 2010. Current drought and future hydroclimate projections in southeast Australia and implications for water resources management. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 25: 602–612, DOI: 10.1007/s00477-010-0424-x. , , , .
- 2010. Statistical downscaling of daily mean temperature, pan evaporation and precipitation for climate change scenarios in Haihe River, China. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 99: 149–161, DOI: 10.1007/s00704-009-0129-6. , , , .
- 2002. The role of small-scale orographic features in the spatial distribution of precipitation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 128: 75–92, DOI: 10.1256/00359000260498798. , , .
- 2010. LS-SVMlab toolbox user's guide. Internal Report 10–146. K.U. Leuven University: Belgium, 25–27. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Uncertainty in river discharge observations: a quantitative analysis. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions 6: 39–61, DOI: 10.5194/hessd-6-39-2009. , .
- 1996. Support vector regression machines. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 9: 155–161. , , , , .
- 1997. Downscaling climate model outputs into local and regional weather elements by classification and regression. Journal of Climate Research 8: 195–207, DOI: 10.3354/cr0008195. , .
- 2007. Linking climate change modelling to impacts studies: recent advances in downscaling techniques for hydrological modelling. International Journal of Climatology 27: 1547–1578, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1556. , , .
- 2008. Statistical downscaling of GCM simulations to streamflow using relevance vector machine. Advances in Water Resources 31: 132–146, DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2007. 07.005. , .
- 2001. Climate change 2001, The scientific basis, contribution of working group I to the third assessment report of the IPCC, Chapter 10, 583–638. Available at http://www.grida.no/ (Accessed 7 November 2011). , , , , , , , , .
- GWMWater. 2011. Storage management rules for the Wimmera Mallee system headworks, 5–6. Available at http://www.gwmwater.org.au/ information/publications/ground-and-surface-water/west-wimmera- gma/cat_view/163-reservoir-operating-rules (Accessed 1 March 2012).
- 2002. Statistical Methods in Water Resources Techniques of Water Resources Investigations, Book 4, Chapter A3. U.S. Geological Survey, 295–297 Available at http://pubs.usgs.gov/ twri/twri4a3/html/pdf_new.html (Accessed 10 October 2011). , .
- 1996. Statistical downscaling of monthly mean North Atlantic air-pressure to sea level anomalies in the Baltic Sea. Tellus 48: 312–323, DOI: 10.1034/j.1600-0870.1996.t01-1-00008.x. , , .
- 2000. Biological consequences of global warming: is the signal already apparent. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15: 56–61, DOI: 10.1111/j.1749–4877.2010.00200.x. .
- 2003. Climate change and Australia: trends, projections and impacts. Austral Ecology 28: 423–443, DOI: 10.1046/j.1442–9993.2003.01300.x. .
- 2002. Statistical downscaling of daily temperature in central Europe. Journal of Climate 15: 1731–1742, DOI: 10.1175/1520-0442(2002)015. .
- 2005. Downscaling of humidity variables: a search for suitable predictors and predictands. International Journal of Climatology 25: 243–250, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1122. .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471, DOI: 10.1175/1520-0477(1996)077 < 0437:TNYRP > 2.0.CO;2. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A method of relating general circulation model simulated climate to the observed local climate Part I: seasonal statistics. Journal of Climate 3: 1053–1079, DOI: 10.1175/1520-0442(1990)003 < 1053:AMORGC > 2.0.CO;2. , , , , .
- 2001. Statistical downscaling of GCM simulations to streamflow. Journal of Hydrology 252: 221–236, DOI: 10.1016/S0022-1694(01)00457-7. , , , .
- 2011. Assessment of POAMA's predictions of some climate indices for use as predictors of Australian rainfall. CAWCR Technical Report No. 31, 3–4. , , .
- 2008. Utility of daily vs. monthly large-scale climate data: an intercomparison of two statistical downscaling methods. Hydrology and Earth System Science 12: 551–563, DOI: 10.5194/hess-12-551-2008. , .
- 1998. An evaluation of statistical and dynamical techniques for downscaling local climate. International Journal of Climate 12: 2256–2284, DOI: 10.1175/1520-0442(1999)012 < 2256:AEOSAD> 2.0.CO;2. .
- 2002. A first-order analysis of the climate change effect on flood frequencies in a subalpine watershed by means of a hydrological rainfall–runoff model. Journal of Hydrology 267: 65–73, DOI: 10.1016/S0022-1694(02)00140-3. .
- 2011. Statistical downscaling of precipitation using machine learning with optimal predictor selection. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 16: 650–664. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE) HE.1943–5584.0000355. , , .
- 1970. River flow forecasting through conceptual models, part 1—a discussion of principles. Journal of Hydrology 10: 282–290, DOI: 10.1016/0022-1694(70)90255-6. , .
- 1965. A simplex method for function minimisation. The Computer Journal 7: 308–313, DOI: 10.1093/comjnl/ 7.4.308. , .
- 1895. Mathematical contributions to the theory of evolution. iii. Regression heredity and panmixia. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A 187: 253–318, DOI: 10.1098/rsta.1896.0007. .
- 2003. Regional climate and atmospheric circulation controls on the discharge of two British rivers, 1974–97. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 76: 141–164, DOI: 10.1007/s00704-003-0021-8. , , , , .
- 2008. An investigation into the selection of predictors and skill assessment using the Bayesian joint probability (BJP) modelling approach to seasonal forecasting of streamflows. CSIRO Water for a healthy country flagship report, 14. , .
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature 421: 57–60, DOI: 10.1038/nature01333. , , , , , .
- 2007. Forecasting streamflows in Australia using the tropical Indo-Pacific thermocline as predictor. Journal of Hydrology 341: 156–164, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2007.04.021. , , .
- 2009. Statistical downscaling of near-surface wind over complex terrain in southern France. Journal of Meteorology and Atmospheric physics 103: 253–265, DOI: 10.1007/s00703-008-0330-7. , , , .
- 2004. Wimmera-Malle simulation model—annual update methodology. A report by Sinclair Knight Merz, Melbourne, Australia, 21–79. .
- 2009. Refining rainfall projections for the Murray Darling basin of south-east Australia—the effect of sampling model results based on performance. Journal of Climate Change 102: 377–393, DOI: 10.1007/s10584-009-9757-1. , .
- 1993. Downscaling of global climate change estimates to regional scales: an application to Iberian rainfall in wintertime. Journal of Climate 6: 1161–1171, DOI: 10.1175/1520-0442 (1993)006 < 1161:DOGCCE > 2.0.CO;2. , , .
- 2009. Water resources, climate change and human vulnerability. In Proceedings of the 18th World IMACS/MODSIM Congress. 13–17 July 2009. Cairns, Australia, 3984–3990. , .
- 1999. Least squares support vector machine classifiers. Neural Information Processing—Letters and Reviews 9: 293–300, DOI: 10.1023/A:1018628609742. , .
- 2002. Least Squares Support Vector Machines. World Scientific: Singapore, 29–111. , , , , .
- 2009. Generalization of a statistical downscaling model to provide local climate change projections for Australia. Environmental Modeling and Software 24: 341–358, DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2008.07.007. , , .
- 2002. Does soil moisture influence climate variability and predictability over Australia?. Journal of Climate 15: 1230–1238, DOI: 10.1175/1520-0442(2002)015 < 1230:DSMICV > 2.0.CO;2. , , , , .
- 2010. Statistical downscaling of river flows. Journal of Hydrology 385: 279–291, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2010.02.030. , , , .
- 2006. Downscaling of precipitation for climate change scenarios: a support vector machine approach. Journal of Hydrology 330: 621–640, DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2006.04.030. , , .
- 2000. The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory. Springer-Verlag: New York, 17–298. .
- Victorian Government Department of Sustainability and Environment. 2008. Climate Change in Victoria Summary Report, 7. Available at http://www.climatechange.vic.gov.au/publications (Accessed on 1 November 2011).
- 2006. Stochasticity, Nonlinearity and Forecasting of Streamflow Processes. Deft University Press: Amsterdam, 72–73. .
- 2009. A review of the potential impacts of climate change on surface water quality. Hydrological Sciences 54: 101–123, DOI: 10.1623/hysj.54.1.101. , , , .
- 2004. Guidelines for use of climate scenarios developed from statistical downscaling methods, supporting material to the IPCC, 3–21. Available at http://www.ipcc-data.org/ (Accessed 1 November 2011). , , , , , .
- 1997. Downscaling general circulation model output: a review of methods and limitations. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 530–548, DOI: 10.1177/030913339702100403. , .
- 2000. Precipitation predictors for downscaling: observed and general circulation model relationships. International Journal of Climatology 20: 641–661, DOI: 10.1002/(SICI) 1097-0088(200005). , .
- 1999. The weather generation game: a review of stochastic weather models. Progress in Physical Geography 23: 329–357, DOI: 10.1177/030913339902300302. , .
- 1999. From GCMs to river flow: a review of downscaling methods and hydrologic modeling approaches. Progress in Physical Geography 23: 229–249, DOI: 10.1177/030913339902300204. .
- 2009. Response of streamflow to climate change in the headwater catchment of the Yellow River basin. Quaternary International 208: 62–75, DOI: 10.1016/j.quaint.2008.09.001. , , .
- 2010. New approach to identify trend pattern of streamflows. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering 15: 244–248, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943–5584.0000179. , , .
- 2011. Fine tuning support vector machines for short-term wind speed forecasting. Energy Conversion and Management 52: 1990–1998, DOI: 10.1016/j.enconman.2010.11.007. , , .