The influence of Indian Ocean sea surface temperature on the variability of monsoon rainfall over India
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 6, pages 1482–1494, May 2013
How to Cite
Nayagam, L. R., Rajesh, J. and Ram Mohan, H. S. (2013), The influence of Indian Ocean sea surface temperature on the variability of monsoon rainfall over India. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 1482–1494. doi: 10.1002/joc.3528
- Issue online: 12 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 11 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 OCT 2009
- 2005. Impact of Indian Ocean sea surface temperature on developing El Niño. Journal of Climate 18: 302–319. , , , .
- 2007. The south Asian summer monsoon and its relationship with ENSO in the IPCC AR4 simulations. Journal of Climate 20: 1071–1092. , , .
- 2001. Impact of the Indian Ocean dipole on the between the Indian monsoon rainfall and ENSO relationship. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 4499–4502. , , .
- 2004. Influence of southern oscillation and SSTs over Nino-3.4 region on the winter monsoon rainfall over coastal Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Earth System Science 113: 313–319. , , .
- 2001. Possible roles of Atlantic circulations on the weakening Indian monsoon rainfall-ENSO relationship. Journal of Climate 14: 2376–2380. , , .
- 2005. Interannual and interdecadal rainfall variations in the Hawaiian islands. Journal of Climate 18: 4796–4813. , .
- 2005. Wavelet analysis of variability, teleconnectivity, and predictability of the September–November east African rainfall. Journal of Applied Meteorology 44: 256–269. , .
- 1999. The effect of ENSO/anti ENSO on northeast monsoon rainfall. Mausam 50: 343–354. , .
- 1982. Fluctuations on northeast monsoon rainfall of Tamil Nadu. International Journal of Climatology 2: 339–345. , , .
- 1992. Wavelet transforms and their application to turbulence. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 24: 395–457. .
- 1999. Interannual variability of Asian monsoon precipitation, 1953–1982, using instrumental records. Iawa Journal 20: 227–238. .
- 1997. Interdecadal climate fluctuation that depend on exchanges between the tropics and the extratropics. Science 275: 805–807. , .
- 2002. Principal Component Analysis, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag: New York. .
- 1999. El Niño timings and rainfall extremes in India, Southeast Asia and China. International Journal of Climatology 19: 653–672. .
- 2000. ENSO relationship with Indian rainfall in different months. International Journal of Climatology 20: 783–792. .
- 2001. Interannual variability of the Indian summer monsoon and internal variability in the JMA global model simulations. Journal of Meteorological Society of Japan 79: 607–623. , , .
- 2003. Equatorially symmetric impact of the El Niño-southern oscillation on the South Asian summer monsoon system. Journal of Meteorological Society of Japan 81: 1329–1352. , , .
- 1998. Decadal variability in ENSO predictability and prediction. Journal of Climate 11: 2804–2822. , .
- 2007. Variability of Indian monsoon-ENSO relationship in a 1000-year MRI-CGCM2.2 simulation. Natural Hazards 42: 261–272. .
- 2004. Northeast monsoon rainfall variability over south peninsular India vis-a-vis the Indian ocean dipole mode. International Journal of Climatology 24: 1267–1282. , .
- 1995. Seasonal forecasting of Indian summer monsoon rainfall. Weather 50: 449–467. , , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 2000. Indian monsoon–ENSO relationship on interdecadal timescale. Journal of Climate 13: 579–595. , .
- 2009. Spatial variability of intraseasonal oscillations during extreme Indian monsoons. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1945–1955. , , .
- 2000. Impact of ENSO on the variability of the Asian–Australian monsoons as simulated in GCM experiments. Journal of Climate 13: 4287–4309. , .
- 2006. Intraseasonal variations of the Yangtze rainfall and its related atmospheric circulation features during the 1991 summer. Climate Dynamics 27: 815–830. , .
- 2010. Seasonality in the relationship between El Niño and Indian Ocean dipole. Climate Dynamics 37: 221–236, DOI 10.1007/s00382-010-0876-1. , , , .
- 2002. The tropospheric biennial oscillation and the Asian-Australian monsoon rainfall. Journal of Climate 15: 722–744. , .
- 1999. Variations of the SO relationship with summer and winter monsoon rainfall over India: 1872–1993. Journal of Climate 12: 3486–3495. .
- 2009. Variability and teleconnectivity of northeast monsoon rainfall over India. Global and Planetary Change 69: 225–231. , , .
- 1999. On the variability and prediction of rainfall in the post-monsoon season over India. International Journal of Climatology 19: 309–339. , .
- 2004. A possible mechanism for the weakening of El Niño-monsoon relationship during the recent decade. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 86: 143–157. .
- 2007. On the recent strengthening of the relationship between ENSO and northeast monsoon rainfall over South Asia. Climate Dynamics 28: 649–660. , , , .
- 1981. Some aspects of an association between the southern oscillation and Indian summer monsoon. Archives for Meteorology Geophysics and Bioclimatology 29: 245–252. , .
- 1997. Climate of South Asia. Wiley: New York, 176–179. , .
- 1988. Principal Component Analysis in Meteorology and Oceanography. Elsevier Science: New York, 425 pp. .
- 2004. New operational long range forecast models for southwest monsoon rainfall over India and their verification for 2003. Current Science 86: 422–431. , , , .
- 2005. Development of a high resolution daily gridded rainfall data for the Indian region. IMD Met Monograph No: Climatology 22/2005, pp. 27. National Climate Centre, IMD Pune. , , , .
- 1976. Southwest monsoon. Meteorological Monograph. Synoptic Meteorology No. 1/1976. .
- 1983. The relationship between eastern equatorial Pacific sea surface temperature and rainfall over India and Sri Lanka. Monthly Weather Review 110: 354–384. , .
- 2008. El Niño-southern oscillation and winter precipitation extremes over India. International Journal of Climatology 28: 1445–1452. , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/southern oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 2008. Southern Indian Ocean SST variability and its relationship with Indian summer monsoon. Atmosphere-Ocean 46: 361–376. , .
- 2001. Probabilities and distribution of monsoon rainfall in normal, flood and drought years over India. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 78: 205–214. .
- 2004. Improved extended reconstruction of SST (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 17: 2466–2477. , .
- 1996. Spatial and temporal variations in the relationship between southern oscillation phenomenon and the rainfall of Sri Lanka? International Journal of Climatology 16: 1391–1407. .
- 1997. Extremes of southern oscillation phenomenon and the rainfall of Sri Lanka. International Journal of Climatology 17: 87–101. .
- 2003. Sea surface temperature associations with the late Indian summer monsoon. Climate Dynamics 21: 593–618. , , , .
- 2005. Role of the southern Indian Ocean in the transitions of the monsoon-ENSO system during recent decades. Climate Dynamics 24: 169–195. , , .
- 2007. Impact of southeast Indian Ocean sea surface temperature anomalies on monsoon-ENSO-dipole variability in a coupled ocean–atmosphere model. Climate Dynamics 28: 553–580. , , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 1999. Interdecadal changes in the ENSO–monsoon system. Christopher Journal of Climate 12: 2679–2690. , .
- 2007. The effect of doubled CO2 and model basic state biases on the monsoon-ENSO system. Part A: mean response and interannual variability. Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society 133: 1–20. , , .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 1995. Interdecadal changes in El Niño onset in the last four decades. Journal of Climate 8: 267–285. .
- 2003. Atmosphere–warm ocean interaction and its impacts on Asian-Australian monsoon variation. Journal of Climate 16: 1195–1211. , , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: San Diego. .
- 2004a. Understanding the impact of the Indian Ocean on ENSO variability in a coupled GCM. Journal of Climate 17: 4019–4031. , .
- 2004b. Impacts of the Indian Ocean on the Indian summer monsoon-ENSO relationship. Journal of Climate 17: 3037–3054. , .
- 2009. Seasonally evolving dominant interannual variability modes of east Asian climate. Journal of Climate 22: 2992–3005. , , .
- 2002. El Niño–southern oscillation influences on rice production in Sri Lanka. International Journal of Climatology 22: 242–250. .
- 2006. The strengthening relationship between ENSO and northeast monsoon rainfall over Sri Lanka and Southern India. Journal of Climate 19: 1567–1575. , .