Wet and dry years of Indian summer monsoon and its relation with Indo-Pacific sea surface temperatures
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 7, pages 1761–1771, 15 June 2013
How to Cite
Varikoden, H. and Preethi, B. (2013), Wet and dry years of Indian summer monsoon and its relation with Indo-Pacific sea surface temperatures. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 1761–1771. doi: 10.1002/joc.3547
- Issue online: 4 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 DEC 2011
- 2004. Individual and combined influences of ENSO and the Indian Ocean Dipole on Indian Summer Monsoon. Journal of Climate 17: 3141–3155. , , , .
- 2001. Impact of the Indian ocean dipole on the relationship between the Indian monsoon rainfall and ENSO. Geophysics Research Letters 26: 4499–4502. , , .
- 1999. Unusual ocean atmosphere conditions in the tropical Indian ocean during 1994. Geophysics Research Letters 26: 3001–3004. , , .
- 1989. Circulation regimes of rainfall anomalies in the African-south Asian monsoon belt. Journal of Climate 2: 1133–1144.
- 2003. A coupled model study on ENSO, MJO and Indian summer monsoon rainfall relationships. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 84: 243–254. , .
- 2011. The twentieth century reanalysis project. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 137: 1–28. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Use of meridional wind index at east coast of India for monitoring drought and flood monsoon conditions over Indian region. e-Journal Earth Science India 3: 69–72. .
- 1998. Interannual variations of Indian summer monsoon in a GCM: external conditions versus internal feedbacks. Journal of Climate 502: 501–522. .
- 2010. On the phase relations between the Western North Pacific, Indian, and Australian Monsoons. Journal of Climate 23: 5572–5589. , , , .
- 2003. Abrupt changes in the Asian southwest monsoon during the Holocene and their links to the north Atlantic ocean. Nature 421: 354–357. , , .
- 1995. The Asian summer monsoon and ENSO. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 121: 1133–1168. , .
- 2002. Recent changes in the connection from the asian monsoon to ENSO. Journal of Climate 15: 1203–1205. , , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 2000. Intraseasonal and interannual variability of rainfall over India. Journal of Climate 13: 4366–4376. , .
- 2001. Principal modes of rainfall and SST variability of the Asian summer monsoon: A reassessment of the monsoon ENSO relationship. Journal of Climate 14: 2880–2895. , .
- 2001. On the relationship between Indian Ocean SST and Asian summer monsoon. Geophysics Research Letters 28: 2843–2846. , , , .
- 2002. Processes that determine the quasi-biennial and lower-frequency variability of the South Asian monsoon. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 80: 1149–1163. , .
- 1987. The annual cycle and interannual variability in the tropical pacific andIndian ocean regions. Monthly Weather Review 115: 27–49. .
- 1981. Some aspects of an association between the southern oscillation and Indian summer monsoon. Archiv für Meteorologie, Geophysik und Bioklimatologie 1329: 245–252. , .
- 2009. A high resolution daily gridded rainfall data set (1971–2005) for mesoscale meteorological studies. National Climate Centre Research Report 9/2008, 12 pp. , .
- 2006. High resolution daily gridded rainfall data for the Indian region: analysis of break and active monsoon spells. Current Science 91: 296–306. , , , , , .
- 1981. The relationship between eastern equatorial pacific sea surface temperature and rainfall over India and Sri Lanka. Monthly Weather Review 111: 517–528. , .
- 1983. The relationship between eastern equatorial Pacific sea surface temperature and rainfall over India and Sri Lanka. Monthly Weather Review 110: 354–384. , .
- 1983. Meteorological aspects of the El Nino/southern oscillation. Science 222: 1195–1202. , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 1968. A two-dimensional interpolation function for irregularly spaced data. Proc. 1968 ACM Nat. Conf., 517–524. .
- 1980. Some aspects of the large scale fluctuations of summer monsoon rainfall over india in relation to fluctuations in the planetary and regional scale circulation parameters. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences. Earth and Planetary Sciences 89: 179–195. .
- 2003. Extended reconstruction of global sea surface temperatures based on COADS data (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 16: 1495–1510. , .
- 2004. Improved extended reconstruction of SST (1854–1997). Journal of Climate 17: 2466–2477. , .
- 2008. Improvements to NOAA's historical merged land-ocean surface temperature analysis (1880–2006). Journal of Climate 21: 2283–2296. , , , .
- 1998. Monsoons: Process, predictability, and the prospects for prediction. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 14453–14510. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Coupled dynamics in the Indian ocean during 1997–1998. Nature 401: 356–360. , , , .
- 1992. Monsoon and ENSO: selectively interactive systems. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 118: 877–926. , .
- 2007. Impact of the Indian Ocean SST basin mode on the Asian summer monsoon. Geophysics Research Letters 34: L02708, DOI:10.1029/2006GL028571. , , , , .
- 1990. Impact of Indian monsoon on the coupled atmosphere/ocean system in the tropical pacific. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 44: 29–41. .