The effect of moisture transport variability on Ethiopian summer precipitation
Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 15, pages 3106–3123, December 2013
How to Cite
Viste, E. and Sorteberg, A. (2013), The effect of moisture transport variability on Ethiopian summer precipitation. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 3106–3123. doi: 10.1002/joc.3566
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 NOV 2011
- 1997 Ethiopian use of ENSO information in its seasonal forecasts. Internet Journal of African Studies 2. .
- 2009 The ERA-Interim Archive. ERA Report Series, Vol. 1. ECMWF: Reading, 1–20. , , , , , , .
- 2007 Interannual variability and ensemble forecast of Upper Blue Nile basin kiremt season precipitation. Journal of Hydrometeorology 8(3) 327–343. , .
- 1997 Rainfall anomalies in the source region of the Nile and their connection with the Indian Summer Monsoon. Journal of Climate 10(6 1380–1392. .
- 2008 Trends and spatial distribution of annual and seasonal rainfall in Ethiopia. International Journal of Climatology 28(13) 1723–1734. , , .
- 2000 The climate and hydrology of the Upper Blue Nile River. The Geographical Journal 166(1) 49–62. .
- 2011 Adaptation to climate change in Africa: challenges and opportunities identified from Ethiopia.'' Global Environmental Change 21(1) 227–237. , .
- CSA. 2010 Population and Housing Census of 2007. Central Statistical Agency of Ethiopia (CSA): Addis Ababa.
- 2010a Teleconnections between Ethiopian summer rainfall and sea surface temperature: part I—observation and modelling. Climate Dynamics 37(1–2) 103–119. , , .
- 2010b Teleconnections between Ethiopian summer rainfall and sea surface temperature: part II. Seasonal forecasting. Climate Dynamics 37(1–2): 121–131. , , .
- 2008 A Lagrangian identification of major sources of moisture over Central Brazil and La Plata Basin. Journal of Geophysical Research 113(D14128) 1–9. , , , .
- 1996 El Niñno and the natural variability in the flow of the Nile river. Water Resources Research 32(1) 131–137. .
- 1999 Development and evaluation of a convection scheme for use in climate models. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 56(11: 1766–1782. , .
- 1969 A major low-level air current near the Indian Ocean during the northern summer. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 95(404): 362–380. .
- 1977 Observational aspects of the low-level cross-equatorial jet stream of the western Indian Ocean. Pure and Applied Geophysics 115(5): 1251–1262. .
- 1987 Rainfall teleconnections in northern and northeastern Africa. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 38(4): 191–197. .
- 2007 Parameterization of convective transport in a Lagrangian particle dispersion model and its evaluation. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 46(4): 403–422. , , .
- 2010 On the origin of continental precipitation. Geophysical Research Letters 37(L13804): 1–7. , , , , Stohl A.
- 2004 Seasonal forecasting of the Ethiopian summer rains. International Journal of Climatology 24(11): 1345–1358. , , , .
- 1972 Ethiopian Highlands. World Survey of Climatology. Elsevier Publishing Company: Amsterdam. } (ed).
- 2004 Climatological aspects of the extreme European rainfall of August 2002 and a trajectory method for estimating the associated evaporative source regions Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 4(5/6): 733–746. , , , , .
- 2010 Ethiopian decadal climate variability. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 101(1): 29–40. .
- 2011a Meteorological scenario of Ethiopian floods in 2006–2007. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 104(1): 209–219. .
- 2011b Climatic Factors Modulating Nile River Flow. Nile River Basin. A. M. Melesse, Springer: Netherlands, 267–280. .
- 2007 Predictability of June–September rainfall in Ethiopia. Monthly Weather Review 135(2): 628–650. , .
- 2005 Hydroclimatology of the Nile: results from a regional climate model. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 9 263–278. , , , .
- 2008 Dynamic identification of moisture sources in the Orinoco basin in equatorial South America. Hydrological Sciences Journal 53(3): 602–619. , , , , .
- 2007 Contributions to the moisture budget of airmasses over Iceland. Meteorologische Zeitschrift 16: 37–44. , , , .
- 2005 Characterization and variability of Kiremt rainy season over Ethiopia. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 89(1): 153–180. , .
- 2009a Large-scale atmospheric circulation and global sea surface temperature associations with Horn of Africa June-September rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 29(8): 1075–1100. , , .
- 2009b Seasonal-to-interannual variability of Ethiopia/Horn of Africa monsoon. Part I: associations of wavelet-filtered large-scale atmospheric circulation and global sea surface temperature. Journal of Climate 22(12: 3396–3421. , , .
- 1995 Rainfall variability in the Ethiopian and Eritrean highlands and its links with the Southern Oscillation Index. Journal of Biogeography 22(4/5): 945–952. , .
- 2004 Recent changes in rainfall and rainy days in Ethiopia. International Journal of Climatology 24(8): 973–983. , .
- 2006 ERA-Interim: New ECMWF reanalysis products from 1989 onwards. ECMWF Newsletter 110 25–35. , , .
- 2006 Characteristics of atmospheric transport into the Arctic troposphere. Journal of Geophysical Research 111(D11306): 1–17. .
- 2005 Technical note: the Lagrangian particle dispersion model FLEXPART version 6.2. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 5(9): 2461–2474. , , .
- 2008 Remote sources of water vapor forming precipitation on the Norwegian west coast at 60°N —a tale of hurricanes and an atmospheric river. Journal of Geophysical Research 113(D05102): 1–13. , , .
- 2004 A Lagrangian analysis of the atmospheric branch of the global water cycle. Part I: method description, validation, and demonstration for the August 2002 flooding in central Europe. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5(4): 656–678. , .
- 2005 A Lagrangian analysis of the atmospheric branch of the global water cycle. Part II: moisture transports between earth's ocean basins and river catchments. Journal of Hydrometeorology 6(6): 961–984. , .
- 2002 Accuracy of atmospheric energy budgets from analyses. Journal of Climate 15(23): 3343–3360. , , .
- 2008 Towards a climate data assimilation system: status update of ERA-Interim. ECMWF Newsletter 115 12–18. , , , , .
- 2011 Moisture transport into the Ethiopian highlands. International Journal of Climatology. Published online, DOI: 10.1002/joc.3409. , .
- World Bank. 2005 Well-Being and Poverty in Ethiopia. The Role of Agriculture and Agency. Poverty Reduction and Economic Management 2 (AFTP2), World Bank: Washington DC, 1–306.