Relations between ENSO and the South Atlantic SST modes and their effects on the South American rainfall
Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 8, pages 2008–2023, 30 June 2013
How to Cite
Kayano, M. T., Andreoli, R. V. and Ferreira de Souza, R. A. (2013), Relations between ENSO and the South Atlantic SST modes and their effects on the South American rainfall. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2008–2023. doi: 10.1002/joc.3569
- Issue online: 13 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 OCT 2011
- 1988. On the functioning of the Southern Oscillation in the South American Sector. Part 1: surface climate. Monthly Weather Review 116: 505–524. .
- 2005. ENSO-related rainfall anomalies in South America and associated circulation features during warm and cold Pacific decadal oscillation regimes. International Journal of Climatology 25: 2071–2030. , .
- 2006. Tropical Pacific and South Atlantic effects on rainfall variability over northeastern Brazil. International Journal of Climatology 26: 1895–1912. , .
- 2002. The relation between sea surface temperature at the subtropical south-central Pacific and precipitation in southeastern South America. Journal of Climate 15: 251–267. , .
- 2010. Influence of ENSO and the South Atlantic Ocean on climate predictability over southeastern South America. Climate Dynamics 35: 1493–1508, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-009-0666-9. .
- 2011. The South Atlantic dipole and variations in the characteristics of the South American monsoon in the WCRP-CMIP3 multi-model simulations. Climate Dynamics 36: 2091–2102, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-010-0836-9. , .
- 2005. A new monthly precipitation climatology for the global land areas for the period 1951 to 2000. Climate Status Report, Ger. Weather Serv., Offenbach, Germany. , , .
- 2003. Seasonal dependence of ENSO teleconnections over South America and relationships with precipitation in Uruguay. Journal of Climate 16: 1159–1176. , , .
- 2004. South Atlantic response to El Niño-Southern Oscillation induced climate variability in an ocean general circulation model. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: C12015, DOI: 1029/2004JC002301. , , .
- 1998. Relationships between precipitation anomalies in Uruguay and southern Brazil and sea surface temperature in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. Journal of Climate 11: 251–271. , , .
- 1997. A method to estimate the statistical significance of a correlation when the data are serially correlated. Journal of Climate 10: 2147–2153. .
- 2000. Interannual variability of Caribbean rainfall, ENSO, and the Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Climate 13: 297–311. , , .
- 2001. The ENSO teleconnection to the Tropical Atlantic Ocean: contributions of the remote and local SSTs to rainfall variability in the Tropical Americas. Journal of Climate 14: 4530–4544. , , , , .
- 1998. Precipitation anomalies in southern Brazil associated with El Niño and La Niña events. Journal of Climate 11: 2863–2880. , , .
- 2000. Climate variability in southern South America associated with El Niño and La Niña events. Journal of Climate 13: 35–58. , , .
- 2003. Atmospheric response to South Atlantic SST dipole. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1864. , , .
- 1977. Dynamics of climatic hazards in northeast Brazil. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 103: 77–92. , .
- 2006. Relationships between rainfall anomalies over northeastern Brazil and the El Niño-Southern Oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D13102, DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006142. , .
- 2011. Evolving anomalous SST patterns leading to ENSO extremes: relations between the tropical Pacific and Atlantic Oceans and the influence on the South American rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 31: 1119–1134, DOI: 10.1002/joc.2135. , , .
- 1988. Tropical circulations and the associated rainfall anomalies during two contrasting years. Journal of Climatology 8: 477–488. , , .
- 2009. Interannual relations between South American rainfall and tropical sea surface temperature anomalies before and after 1976. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1439–1448, DOI: 10. 1002/joc.1824. , , .
- 1989. Global climatic anomalies associated with extremes in the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 1069–1090. , .
- 1989. Extremes in the Southern Oscillation and their relationship to precipitation anomalies with emphasis on the South American region. Revista Brasileira de Meteorologia 4: 351–363. , .
- 2010. Tropical response to the Atlantic equatorial mode: AGCM multimodel approach. Climate Dynamics 35: 45–52, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-009-0624-6. , , , , , , .
- 1977. Sea surface temperature related to rain in Ceará, Northeastern Brazil. Nature 265: 320–323. , .
- 2000. Seasonal diagnostic and predictability of rainfall in subtropical South America based in tropical Pacific SST. Journal of Climate 13: 746–758. , , .
- 2011. On the growth and decay of the subtropical dipole mode in the South Atlantic. Journal of Climate 24: 5538–5554. , , .
- 2011. Does a dipole mode really exist in the South Atlantic Ocean? Journal of Geophysical Research 116: D15104, DOI: 10.1029/2010JD15579. , , .
- 2002. Progress in Pan American CLIVAR research: understanding the South American Monsoon. Meteorologica 27: 3–30. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions. Monthly Weather Review 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 1968. Some Applications of Statistics to Meteorology. Pennsylvania State University: Pennsylvania, 224 pp. , .
- 1994. El Niño-Southern Oscillation impact on rainfall in Uruguay. Journal of Climate 7: 1286–1302. , , , .
- 1990. Characteristics of rainfall over Brazil: annual and variations and connections with the Southern Oscillation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 42: 81–91. , .
- 1976. The climate of Brazil: climate of central and South America. In: Schwerdtfeger W, Landsberg HE (eds). World Survey of Climatology Elsevier: Amsterdam, vol. 12, chapter 5. p 219–293. .
- 2009. Are Atlantic Niños enhancing Pacific ENSO events in recent decades? Journal of Geophysical Research 36: L20705, DOI: 10.1029/2009GL040048. , , , , , , .
- 2011. The impacts of inter-El Niño variability on the tropical Atlantic and northeast Brazil climate. Journal of Climate 24: 3402–3422. , , , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1989. Precipitation patterns associated with the high index phase of the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 268–284. , .
- 2005. Global precipitation. In Observed Global Climate. New Series on Landolt-Bornstein: Numerical Data and Functional Relationships in Science and Technology, vol. 6. Hantel M. (ed).Springer: Berlin, 11.1–11.24. , .
- 2005. Calculation of gridded precipitation data for the global land-surface using in-situ gauge observations. Proceedings of the Second Workshop of the International Precipitation Working Group IPWG, Monterey, October 2004, EUMETSAT, ISBN 92-9110-070-6, ISSN 1727-432X, 231–247. , .
- 2008. Improvements to NOAA's historical merged land-ocean surface temperature analysis (1880–2006). Journal of Climate 21: 2283–2296. , , , .
- 2000. On the influences of the El Niño, La Niña and Atlantic dipole pattern on the Amazonian rainfall during 1960–1998. Acta Amazonica 30: 305–318. , , , , , .
- 2003. Coupled variability and air-sea interactions in the South Atlantic Ocean. Climate Dynamics 21: 559–571. , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 1997. Atmosphere-ocean coupled variability in the South Atlantic. Journal of Climate 10: 2904–2920. , , .
- 2006. An overlooked feature of tropical climate: Inter-Pacific-Atlantic variability. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L12702, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL026324. .
- 1993. Air-sea interaction in the equatorial Atlantic region. Journal of Climate 6: 1567–1586. .
- 2001. Principal modes of interannual and decadal variability of summer rainfall over South America. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1623–1644. , .