†Hydrospheric Atmospheric Research Center, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan.
Regional climate model application at subgrid scale on Indian winter monsoon over the western Himalayas
Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 9, pages 2185–2205, July 2013
How to Cite
Dimri, A. P. and Niyogi, D. (2013), Regional climate model application at subgrid scale on Indian winter monsoon over the western Himalayas. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2185–2205. doi: 10.1002/joc.3584
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 16 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 NOV 2011
- 2006. Spatial patterns of precipitation and topography in the Himalayas. In Tectonics, Climate, and Landscape Evolution: Geological Society of America Special Paper 398, Willett SD, Hovius N, Brandon MT, Fisher DM (eds). Penrose Conference Series, 39–53. , , , , , .
- 1991. A statistical-dynamical approach to parameterize subgrid-scale land-surface heterogeneity in climate models. Surveys in Geophysics 12: 155–178. .
- 1992. Conceptual aspects of a statistical-dynamical approach to represent landscape subgrid-scale heterogeneity in atmospheric models. Journal of Geophysical Research 97: 2729–2742, DOI: 10.1029/91JD01751. .
- 1989. A parameterization of heterogeneous land surfaces for atmospheric numerical models and its impact on regional meteorology. Monthly Weather Review 117: 2113–2136. , .
- 2003. Monitoring the monsoons in the Himalayas: observations in Central Nepal, June 2001. Monthly Weather Review 131: 1408–1427. , .
- 1994. Dynamic modeling of orographically induced precipitation. Reviews of Geophysics 32: 265–284. , .
- 2000. A study of 1999 monsoon rainfall in a mountainous region in central Nepal using TRMM products and rain gauge observations. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3683–3686. , , , .
- 2004. Probing orographic controls in the Himalayas during monsoon using satellite imagery. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 4: 29–51. , , , .
- 2006. From weather to climate—seasonal and interannual variability of storms and implications for erosion processes in the Himalaya. In Tectonics, Climate, and Landscape Evolution: Geological Society of America Special Paper 398, Willett SD, Hovius N, Brandon MT, Fisher DM (eds). Penrose Conference Series, 17–28. , , , , .
- 1996. Simulation of Indian summer monsoon using a nested regional climate model: domain size experiments. Climate Dynamics 12: 573–587. , , , .
- 2000. Disaggregation of rainfall for one way coupling of atmospheric and hydrological models in regions of complex terrain. Global and Planetary Change 25: 111–132. , .
- 2006. Topography, relief and TRMM-derived rainfall variation along the Himalaya. Geophysical Research Letters 33: 1–5. , .
- 2008. Orographic barriers, high resolution TRMM rainfall, and relief variations along the eastern Andes. Geophysical Research Letters 35: 1–6. , .
- 2005. Abnormal monsoon years and their control on erosion and sediment flux in high, arid northwest Himalaya. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 231: 131–146. , , .
- 2003. Decoupling of erosion and precipitation in the Himalayas. Nature 426: 652–655. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Numerical simulations of the 1994 Piedmont Flood: Role of orography and moist processes. Monthly Weather Review 126: 2369–2383. , , .
- 1998. Very high resolution regional climate simulations over Scandinavia—present climate. Journal of Climate 11: 3204–3229. , , , .
- 2003. Mesoscale modeling for mountain weather forecasting over the Himalayas. Bulletin of American Meteorological Society 1237–1244. , , , .
- 1993. Biosphere-Atmosphere transfer Scheme (BATS) version 1e as coupled to the NCAR Community Climate Model. NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-387 + STR, 72 pp. , , .
- 2004. Impact of horizontal model resolution and orography on the simulation of a western disturbance and its associated precipitation. Meteorological Application 11: 115–127. .
- 2009. Impact of subgrid scale scheme on topography and landuse for better regional scale simulation of meteorological variables over the Western Himalayas. Climate Dynamics 32: 565–574. .
- 2007. Wintertime seasonal scale simulation over Western Himalaya using Regcm3. Pure and Applied Geophysics 164: 1733–1746. , .
- 2009. Simulation of mesoscale features associated with intense western disturbances over western Himalayas. Meteorological Application 16: 289–308. , .
- 1992. A rainfall runoff scheme for use in the Hamburg climate model, Advances in theoretical Hydrology: A tribute to James Dooge. In European Geophysical Society Series in Hydrological Sciences, Vol. 1, O'Kane JP (ed). Elsevier: 129–157. , .
- 1989. Land surface hydrology parameterization for the atmospheric general circulation models including subgrid scale spatial variability. Journal of Climate 2: 816–831. , .
- 1994a. Application of multiscale water and energy balance model on a tallgrass prairie. Water Resource Research 30: 3079–3093. , .
- 1994b. Multiscale modeling of spatially variable water and energy balance processes. Water Resource Research 30: 3061–3078. , .
- 2005. The importance of land-cover change in simulating future climates. Science 310: 1674–1678. , , , , , ,
- 1997a. An approach for the representation of surface heterogeneity in land surface models, part I: theoretical framework. Monthly Weather Review 125: 1885–1899. .
- 1997b. An approach for the representation of surface heterogeneity in land surface models, part II: validation and sensitivity experiments. Monthly Weather Review 125: 1900–1919. .
- 1997. The representation of heterogeneity effects in Earth system modeling: experience from land surface modeling. Reviews of Geophysics 35: 413–438. , .
- 2000. A study of internal variability of a regional climate model. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 29503–29521. , .
- 1991. Introduction to special section: regional climate modeling revisited. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 6335–6352. , .
- 2003. Effect of a subgrid-scale topography and land use scheme on the simulation of surface climate and hydrology. Part 1: effects of temperature and water vapor disaggregation. Journal of Hydrometeorology 4: 317–333. , , .
- 1993. Prognostic evaluation of assumptions used by cumulus parameterization. Monthly Weather Review 121: 764–787. .
- 1999. A high resolution air mass transformation model for short-range weather forecasting. Monthly Weather Review 118: 1561–1575. , , .
- 2010. Validation of a high-resolution regional climate model for the Alpine Region and effects of a subgrid-scale topography and land use representation. Journal of Climate 23: 1854–1873, DOI: 10.1175/2009JCLI3262.1. , , , .
- 1980. On some aspects of interaction between middle latitude westerlies and monsoon circulation. Mausam 38: 305–308. .
- 1992. Satellite observations of interaction between tropics and mid latitude. Mausam 43: 59–64. , .
- 2002. NCEP-DOE AMIP-II reanalysis (R-2). Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 1631–1643. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Description of the NCAR Community Climate Model (CCM3), NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-420 + STR, 152. pp. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Modeling the land surface boundary in climate models as a composite of independent vegetation stands. Journal of Geophysical Research 97: 2697–2715. , .
- 2003. Western Himalayan snow cover and Indian monsoon rainfall: A re-examination with INSAT and NCEP/NCAR data. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 74: 1–18. , , .
- 2002. An investigation of the onsets of 1999 and 2000 Monsoons in Central Nepal. Monthly Weather Review 130: 1299–1316. , .
- 2004. Winter storms in the central Himalayas. Journal of Meteorological Society of Japan 82: 829–844. , .
- 1995. A subgrid parameterization of orographic precipitation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 52: 95–118. , .
- 2003. The sensitivity of precipitation and snowpack simulations to model resolution via a nesting in regions of complex terrain. Journal of Hydrometeorology 4: 1025–1043. , .
- 2007. Surface temperature patterns in complex terrain: daily variations and long-term change in the central Sierra Nevada, California. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: 1–15. , .
- 2007. Distributed temperatures in the snow zone: spatial patterns and innovative measurement techniques. In Proceedings of the Western Snow Conference, 16–19 April 2007, Kailua-Kona, HI, 75th meeting. , .
- 2006. Variation of surface air temperature in complex terrain. Journal of Applied Meteorological Climatology 45: 1481–1493. .
- 1983. Comparing temperature and humidity on a mountain slope and in the free air nearby. Monthyl Weather Review 111: 836–845. .
- 1962. The vertical structure of three drylines as revealed by aircraft traverses. National Severe Storms Project Report 7: 11. .
- 2010. Summer monsoon convection in the Himalayan Region: terrain and land cover effects. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 136: 593–616. , . , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth century space time climate variability, part II: development of a 1901–96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 2000. Simulation of regional-scale water and energy budgets: representation of subgrid cloud and precipitation processes within RegCM. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 29576–29594. , , .
- 2007. The ICTP RegCM3 and RegCNET: regional climate modeling for the developing world. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88: 1395–1409. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2000. The influence of topography and lower tropospheric winds on dry morphology. Monthly Weather Review 128: 2165–2189. , .
- 2001. Influence of the spatial distribution of vegetation and soils on the prediction of cumulus convective rainfall. Reviews of Geophysics 39: 151–177. .
- 1956. Western disturbances and Indian weather. Indian Journal of Meteorological Geophysics 7: 333–338. , .
- 1969. Forecasting manual, part II: discussion of typical synoptic weather situation: winter western disturbances and their associated feature. FMU report no III-1.1, issued by India meteorological Department, India. , .
- 1956. The physical and dynamical problems of orographic rain. Weather 11: 375–381. .
- 1991. Characteristics of winter precipitation and its effect on glaciers in the Nepal Himalayas. Bulletin of Glacier Research 9: 9–16. , .
- 1994. Simulating fluxes from heterogeneous land surfaces: explicit subgrid method employing the biosphere-atmosphere transfer scheme (BATS). Journal Geophysical Research 99: 18651–18667. , , .
- 1979. Westerly upper air troughs and development of western disturbances over India. Mausam 30: 405–414. .
- 1995. Topographical influence on precipitation distribution in different ranges of Western Himalayas. Nordic Hydrology 26: 259–284. , , .
- 1995. Evaluation of the effects of general circulation models' subgrid variability and patchiness of rainfall and soil moisture on land surface water balance fluxes. Hydrological Processes 9: 697–717, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.3360090515. , .
- 1979. Some aspects of the quasi geostrophic flow over mountains. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 36: 2385–2393. .
- 2009. High resolution regional climate simulations of the long-term decrease in September rainfall over Indochina. Atmospheric Science Letters 10: 14–18. , , , .
- 2010. High resolution modeling of the potential impact of land surface conditions on regional climate over Indochina associated with diurnal precipitation cycle. International Journal of Climatology 30: 2004–2020. , , , , .
- 2006. Temperature variation along northern and southern slope of Mt. Taibai, China. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 139: 200–207. , .
- 1976. Seasonal weather variations in Khumbu Himal. Seppyo 38: 74–83. .
- 2009. A 44 year daily gridded precipitation dataset for Asia based on a dense network of rain gauges. SOLA 5: 137–140. , , , .
- 2005. Dynamical aspects of wintertime cold air pool in an Alpine Valley System. Monthly Weather Review 133: 2721–2740. .